Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 16:41   #136

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Smaller flush deck boats have a good advantage interior space wise.But flush deck implies also higher topside and lots of windage that may impair the upwind ability in strong winds. And the ultimate capacity to go upwind witch is a real test for offshore sailing in security, is affected by windage of the hull. As the boats increase in size, and considering the modern designs with such large hulls for their size, like the larger Hunter and Béneteau, this argument becomes a moot point. Offshore going forward of the boat in larges waves, one has to almost seat since handholds are so low. I reconize that FD boat, and some beautifull flush deck design from Robert Perry are outstanding. And beauty follows function I believe... My sailboat is a GibSea 472 with a relatively low profile, and wide transom and I find it nice... You would'nt be surprise I presume!
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 17:27   #137

Boat: Westsail 28

Westsail made a flush deck , well it wasn't really a Westsail and it wasn't really a flush deck . In the fore deck area there is a elevation change of about 10" and IMO that is not a flush deck .Ready , it's the Kendlall ! Predecessor to the Westsail .
KENDALL 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 17:32   #138

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
No need for thanks, I like boats and I like to share the ones I like and I like them with as little windage as possible. That goes with the concept of flush deck even if in small boats that is pretty much impossible to have them without having or a big freeboard or a insufficient standing weight. My one boat is a decent compromise in what regards all that. A sistership:
Common sense, aka my wallet, are telling me I shouldn't ask this, but what boat is this? And yes, I know, she's too pretty to be cheap

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 17:52   #139

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Common sense, aka my wallet, are telling me I shouldn't ask this, but what boat is this? And yes, I know, she's too pretty to be cheap
It is expensive new but used it sells by a very nice price and that's why I bought it (with 5 years then) for about 150 000 euros. It costed about 270 000 euros new, back in 2007. Now you can find one from 2007 for about 125 000 euros.

The reason why this particular model sells used for an interesting price is because most of them were used as cruiser racers by wealthy Italians that change boats each 3 to 5 years and the Comet 41s has a not very powerful engine, but a very light one (about 36hp for 8000 kg) and that drives away cruisers that like sailboats with powerful engines, even if the boat has a good cruising interior, lots of storage (including a sail locker) and a 400L water tankage.

The boat is still made, with the same hull and interior but with a two wheel setup and an integrated bowsprit:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Smaller flush deck boats have a good advantage interior space wise.But flush deck implies also higher topside and lots of windage that may impair the upwind ability in strong winds. And the ultimate capacity to go upwind witch is a real test for offshore sailing in security, is affected by windage of the hull. As the boats increase in size, and considering the modern designs with such large hulls for their size, like the larger Hunter and Béneteau, this argument becomes a moot point. ...
I agree with you about that. Only makes sense to make boats with an almost flush deck over 45ft and that is pretty rare and imply a relatively high freeboard. However over 50ft it is quite possible to do that, the boats look quite well, and the windage is reduced. One of the brands that made of that a kind of visual characteristic is Mylius, one of the top Italian brands and they manage to do it quite nicely on a yacht as small as 55ft :
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13   #141

Smaller than 50ft the cruising boats with smaller cabin and not big freeboards, closer to the flush deck concept that I can remember are the Premier 45:

the Avanced 44:

and the Black Pepper Code1

It looks like a racing boat and yes, it can race and go very fast but this little baby has a luxury finish everywhere and a luxurious even if small interior but more than enough for cruising with luxury. It was also a swing keel that down gives the boat a 3m draft and up only 1.25m, meaning the boat can enter any port or anchor anywhere, very near the coast. I did not saw this one, only the smaller code 0 and I can tell that the boat is much more impressive for real than in a movie. The quality of finish is incredible.

They now have a bigger one, the Code 2, kind of a luxurious VOR boat, disguised in traditional luxury cruiser and with a swing keel:

http://blackpepper.fr/code-2/

Old 06-01-2017, 20:04   #142
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

I crewed on this yacht in the 70's, and took these pics during a trans Atlantic crossing in '77.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush Decker.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	139124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repairs.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	139125  

Name:	Fishing.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	139126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid Atlantic.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	139127  

Name:	Klaus.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	139128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinner for a few weeks... Bahama's.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	139129  

Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:19   #143
Sav

More pics...
Sayonarra Alpha, built in France in 1968, the largest alloy yacht at the time at 35mts (118').
I had the privilege of crewing on her for 16 months in the late 70's, covering 16,000 miles including a Trans Atlantic crossing which is when I took these pics.
Her current name is Penelope, and she sits neglected and half full of water somewhere on the Med coast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black marlin.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	139131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sayonarra Alpha.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	139132  

Old 06-01-2017, 20:25   #144

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Smaller flush deck boats have a good advantage interior space wise.But flush deck implies also higher topside and lots of windage that may impair the upwind ability in strong winds. And the ultimate capacity to go upwind witch is a real test for offshore sailing in security, is affected by windage of the hull. As the boats increase in size, and considering the modern designs with such large hulls for their size, like the larger Hunter and Béneteau, this argument becomes a moot point. Offshore going forward of the boat in larges waves, one has to almost seat since handholds are so low. I reconize that FD boat, and some beautifull flush deck design from Robert Perry are outstanding. And beauty follows function I believe... My sailboat is a GibSea 472 with a relatively low profile, and wide transom and I find it nice... You would'nt be surprise I presume!
My boat, Columbia 29, pretty small, came out in a flush deck version, Defender, and from what I have read it did not have increased windage. Presumably with a deck sweeping headsail it would have better upwind performance too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:27   #145
Sav

Replacing a seized block mid-Atlantic without dropping the sail and bringing the spinnaker boom in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Klaus2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	139133  
Old 06-01-2017, 21:19   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My boat, Columbia 29, pretty small, came out in a flush deck version, Defender, and from what I have read it did not have increased windage. Presumably with a deck sweeping headsail it would have better upwind performance too.
My bahama actually has less windage than the standard trunk cabin model did. The islander 33 that I want only has about an extra 4 inches above the waterline and an extra 18 inches below the waterline. Which means an extra.foot of headroom.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05   #147

Boat: Westsail 28

Love those pics Sav .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:40   #148
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
More pics...
Sayonarra Alpha, built in France in 1968, the largest alloy yacht at the time at 35mts (118').
I had the privilege of crewing on her for 16 months in the late 70's, covering 16,000 miles including a Trans Atlantic crossing which is when I took these pics.
Her current name is Penelope, and she sits neglected and half full of water somewhere on the Med coast.
Thanks for posting the vintage photos, which I enjoy seeing. The "out on the boom" shot is particularly fun to see.

I am sure that was a great adventure, and on such a large boat too.
I wish I had that experience, but hope to find it in my future.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 23:41   #149

I would never go buy a boat w/o a flush deck! At first, when a newb, I was against it. Then I discovered some of the reasons why, such as visability, less windage, but moreso the on deck comforts and options. Being able to have two zero gravity lounge chairs, or a foldable love seat, or seating for six to do fondue on deck is really cool. Not to mention the dance floor. Then comes the dinghy and toys options. I can fit a 10-12' dink on each side (13.25' beam x 42.5 loa). I can actually cruise with a 11' rib and a sailing dinghy, with room to spare for a kayak or sup. So yes, flush deck boats rule!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 23:42   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
I crewed on this yacht in the 70's, and took these pics during a trans Atlantic crossing in '77.
Ahhhhhhmazing! Great share man!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck