Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 18:39   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Flex teak any opinions?

I am looking at a boat that needs the teak decks removed the suggestion is to glass the deck or install flex teak, rather than reteaking the decks. I know nothing about flex teak and was wondering if others had experience with it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 19:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Flex teak any opinions?

Flex teak is attractive enough. I believe it is hotter than white glass decks.

If you remove teak that was screwed on be sure the holes are properly filled AND add a layer of veil over the deck to make sure the screw patches don't flex & crack open. This leaks water into the core. Make sure the survey checks the deck for water in the core. You can only check this from inside on a teak deck. If there is a head liner it must come down.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:12   #3

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I've installed both Plasdeck and Flex teak. Maybe I would put it in the cockpit or on a swim platform, but to do the whole deck in it? I can tell you first hand it would look really cheesy. Aside from that, the templates have to be perfect. Plasdeck looked really nice on the 68 Bertram aft deck I installed in on, but it comes in one piece, so you better have a skilled person make your template. Gribbles are a pleasure to work with, they are out of Ohio I think. He owns Plasdeck. Either product, you better know what your doing or have someone who does install it. The adhesive can lift or you can get air pockets under the product if you lay it down wrong. Cockpit fine, aft deck or swim platform fine. Whole deck on a sailboat UGHHHH. Get some Awlgrip non skid particles in the fine grit. That's the way to go, in my opinion anyway, and before other people chime in, I do this for a living, so I do know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you'll get some other good advice on here. There are a few other shipwrights on here who know what they are talking about.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:16   #4

Nicholson and idylles thanks for the info. It sounds like glossing the decks is the way to go. Cheaper too.

Old 10-02-2015, 20:17   #5

Love autocorrect: glassing the decks lol

Old 10-02-2015, 22:40   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Ameriteak is our pending choice for teak replacement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43   #7

Boat: 1967 C&C Corvette 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I am looking at a boat that needs the teak decks removed the suggestion is to glass the deck or install flex teak, rather than reteaking the decks. I know nothing about flex teak and was wondering if others had experience with it?

I installed Plasdeck on my Nellie Belle. I guess it depends on the boat but I think it looks fantastic. I always get positive comments on the looks (nobody has ever told me it looks "cheesy" but maybe they are just being nice.) It does have two drawbacks - it gets hot to the feet on the hottest days so I usually wear shoes. Secondly it is on the heavy side compared to wood. Everything else is positive. I've had it on for over three years now and it still looks fantastic and the glue they provide is a permanent solution. None of it has tried to come up. I put it in the cockpit too and I really like the grip I get from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NelliePlasdeck.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	96975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nelliedeck.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	96976  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nellie cockpit.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	96977  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Beautiful job on Nellie Belle.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Don't see any point in plastic wood decks. Does not look or feel like wood even at a distance. Doesn't provide the insulation of wood either. If you build a boat in FRP why try to pretend it has a wooden deck? I suspect that many genuine teak decks on FRP boats caused trouble simply because they where too thin.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:19   #10

I'm going on five years now with Nu-Teak in the cockpit and selected spots (not the whole deck for cost reasons) and couldn't be happier. Yes it's hotter than white gelcoat but so is real teak. Heat hasn't been a problem. I picked nu-teak because - to my eye - it had the least orange color.

The key is to have an installer who has the patience and skill to make it look like expertly laid teak deck. "Board" width should look realistic. Where the fiberglass is radiused against a seat locker or cabin side, the "teak" has to come close but not so close that it starts to curve up. Above all, the margin has to be uniform.

The Nu-teak is more non-skid than the old gelcoat pattern and doesn't hold dirt like the old. Much easier to clean. And if it does pick up a small stain you just sand the spot with 60 grit sandpaper as the color goes right through (I assume this is true of other fake teaks)

Synthetic Marine Teak Decking Solutions | Nuteak Flooring
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:25   #11

We were looking at a boat that need the decks replaced. While walking the docks, we saw some guys replacing teak decks on a Sea Ray. It looked almost real so we asked them about it. They worked for Bogantec, the company that makes the decks. Anyone with the skills can install it though.

It's about 1/4" thick. I think they said it was something like 60% bamboo. If I remember correctly, the cost was about $80 sq/ft, compared to $200 sq/ft for the real thing.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Have you looked at MarineDeck 2000? I like the look and it should be cooler than synthetic teak. I'm not sure but there is probably a weight advantage.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:30   #13

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Does anybody know where I can buy any of these products (Plasdeck, Nu-Teak, Ameriteak etc.) in very small quantities? I'd like to redo the cork cabin sole in my Tartan 30 with the stuff, but I only need a little bit, and everything I've seen comes in large minimum qtys, like 6 foot rolls.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I saw a product called Tek-Dek at the Düsseldorf boat show. It looks great and is said to be stain resistant and easy to make templates for.

I am about to make my templates and will install the Tek-Dek when the weather warms up.

Tek-Dek is substantially thicker that some no-skid vinyl that I installed on my Pearson 26 in 1990 and that needs to be redone.

My Pearson 36 has TreadMaster installed on the deck by a PO and when I bought the boat, the Treadmaster looked horrible, I painted it with International InterDeck and so far it looks much better and the paint is holding up well.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:56   #15

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Has anyone used any of these synthetic teak products for interior cabin soles? Comments?

Dan K
S/V Jolly Lama
Keehi Lagoon, O'ahu
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote