Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2007, 04:53   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
flat deck vs. raised cabin ?

Hi, I am new to this board. I read alot before this post so I don't think this has been asked lately.

I'm researching for a live aboard (bahamas style) and I'd like to hear pros and cons for a flat deck (ex. 1985 39' Oday) vs. something like a 1979 38' Morgan with the raised cabin area.

Obviously the flat should be easier to see over and give my dog a little more run around room, but what about limited light through little portholes? Do the raised cabins spring more leaks around windows, etc? I am 6'1" so I do need a little headroom, but I've seen some flat tops with enough.

Thank You for your response.
Fred
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 07:40   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Fred,
I think you'll find the older designs (ie those with no raised cabin top) were orginally designed that way to simply reduce windage / resistance to green water. In such older days the joints in windows etc were so poor a rasied cabin top usually leaked. Clearly with more modern sealing products such leaks are hopefully a thing of the past.
So looks aside (I personally think too high a cabin top could easily spoil a boats lines) there few advantage today in going for a 'flat top' design. For me a livaboard needs light, air and space, and IMHO a raised cabin top should give you all of those - plus allow you to stand tall.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 17-08-2007, 12:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Flat decks are an advantage for a race crew to negotiate and allows water to wash over easily. But for living aboard you can get more light and ventilation with a raised cabin.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 13:51   #4

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
pirate

Having just bought Andante - a De Kleer Fraser 30 - I am enthusiatic about the light, the headroom and the visibility the raised deck gives.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 19:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235
Having just bought Andante - a De Kleer Fraser 30 - I am enthusiatic about the light, the headroom and the visibility the raised deck gives.
If Andane is the one listed by Martin Bird in Annapolis, you may suffer from the curses I threw your way for having bought her before I was aware. Enjoy.
beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 20:54   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Head room will be the issue. It'll take a larger boat to get enough headrom with the flat deck. As for windage, the more freeboard, the more windage and flat decks usually have more freeboard until the headroom peaks out, then it starts back the other way.

There is a nice 60'er in Port Gardner with a flat deck that catches my eye on occasion. But way too much rigging for a single hander like myself.

One advantage is if you plan to have gests in calm waters a flat deck is nice. A disadvantage is when the water breaks over the deck it washes right into the cockpit unless water boards are in place.

But in the cooler climates a cabin is better..................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 05:00   #7

I have a "flush deck". The Contest 36s has more freeboard and so she is quite dry to sail. Huge head room throughout, but the increased windage makes her dance a bit on a mooring especially since she is a fractional rig.

I like the increased real estate of the flush deck and it allows me to plant two solar panels over the coach roof which are only a problem with flaking the sail... usually a time when it is easy to avoid them.

Climbing aboard is a bit harder too.. whether at floating dock or from the drink. We have a fold down stern boarding ladder for that.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 04:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 31-2
DEFJEF, could you please explain the windage part of your reply? I've never lived on a boat and have limited sailing experience....Thanks
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 05:06   #9

Boat: Hartley Tasman 27'3" Kaea (50/50 motor sailor) & Laurent Giles GK24 IOR 1/4 tonner
For some well thought out raised deck designs, check out Tom MacNaughtons Coin Collection series. www.macnaughtongroup.com Especially the 30ft Sovereign and 36ft Crown Jewel designs. These boats have more useable living space and deck space than any other yachts of their size that I know of. Also have a look at www.sylinnea.com for photo's and commentary about a Crown Jewel in Sweden.
stuartcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 09:51   #10

In my case I have pretty high freeboard for the length of the boat. So if I am parked next to another 36 with a dog house or raised coach roof... the top of his coach roof is more or less at high as my deck. His deck is 15" or more lower.

In addition Shiva is a fraction rig with a deep fin so she tends to sail about on a mooring and the yawing is amplified by the high freeboard which catches the wind and pushes the bow off until the wind catches the stern and send the bow off in the other direction. To mitigate this dancing I use a riding or steadying sail when moored which keeps the boat weather cocked to the wind like a blade of a wind vane.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 08:07   #11

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26
Re: flat deck vs. raised cabin ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I have a "flush deck". The Contest 36s has more freeboard and so she is quite dry to sail. Huge head room throughout, but the increased windage makes her dance a bit on a mooring especially since she is a fractional rig.

I like the increased real estate of the flush deck and it allows me to plant two solar panels over the coach roof which are only a problem with flaking the sail... usually a time when it is easy to avoid them.

Climbing aboard is a bit harder too.. whether at floating dock or from the drink. We have a fold down stern boarding ladder for that.

jef
sv shiva
I would advise, try hangin a wee spitfire (storm jib) backwards from the back stay, as a anchor riding sail , should stop the sailin about on hook, (or dancin), eh mate?
Old 23-11-2013, 20:26   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Hi, I am new to this board. I read alot before this post so I don't think this has been asked lately.

I'm researching for a live aboard (bahamas style) and I'd like to hear pros and cons for a flat deck (ex. 1985 39' Oday) vs. something like a 1979 38' Morgan with the raised cabin area.

Obviously the flat should be easier to see over and give my dog a little more run around room, but what about limited light through little portholes? Do the raised cabins spring more leaks around windows, etc? I am 6'1" so I do need a little headroom, but I've seen some flat tops with enough.

Thank You for your response.
Fred
I was aboard a 1984 37' Oday for a few years with no complaints. Standing headroom for me (also 6'1") and had good ventilation with adequate lighting. Nice liveaboard which you couldn't do wrong by if you like the boat and find one in good shape.

IMHO, I think you're over-thinking the flat deck vs cabin top thing. What style/boat are you more drawn to? They are both functional designs. With some much variation in boat design out there, the difference seems ultimately more one of form than function. There will be some of both designs with plenty/lack of light. ventilation, visibility forward, etc. I think the choice should really come to what you prefer in terms of simple boat lines. MHO.

Having lived aboard with a dog on the 37' (and currently living aboard with a dog on a 27'), to my eye the difference between a similar sized boat with either flat deck or cabin top will not make much difference to the dog. On my current 27' the cabin top is the pooch's favorite perch on the boat.

Good luck with the search!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 20:50   #13

Flush decks are much stronger than raised cabins but unless your planning on traveling in higher latitudes this may not be an issue.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 20:56   #14

Boat: Corbin 39
I have a Corbin 39 and enjoy the flush deck for its usable space. At anchor it can't be beat but you do sacrifice head room inside which is a consideration you should consider. One added bonus of the flush deck is the extra volume it gives you inside the cabin. Good luck!
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 21:11   #15

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

It cracks me up when old threads are rebooted and no one seems to notice
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, deck