Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 04:59   #1

Boat: pearson 365
Send a message via Skype™ to danieledam1
Flag Registration

I am new in forum - does anyone indicates me how and where I can register my sailing boat ? I am italian resident, living in santo domingo. In santo domingo is too expensive because I have to pay the duty of importation. many thansk indeed at all.
danieledam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: flag registration

If you are a citizen of Italy then why not register in Italy? I think if you keep the boat in the Caribbean and never enter the EU you would not have to pay VAT but do not know if Italy may have other taxes that you might have to pay.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:21   #3

tks for your reply anyway - I live in santo domingo, I bought this boat three weeks ago and she is here in SD, the old flag was us and will be early cancelled. So as in SD for registration need to import and pay taxes what can I do ?
Panama I think is expensive too. Bonaire is impossible, Belgium and some other countries needs to be resident. In italy is suicide to register a boat.
what suggestion ? many thanks
Old 19-12-2012, 05:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Flag Registration

Sorry I am not really clear on the problem so if I am ask a question.

You say in Santo Domingo you must pay import duty and taxes. Is this only if you register the boat in SD? If you register the boat in another country but you keep the boat in SD do you still owe taxes or duty to SD?

Why is it suicide to register in Italy? If you will never take the boat to the EU what is the problem?

I think you can register the boat in other EU countries even if you are not a resident. Maybe in the island of Jersey. There are some other discussions about this on the Cruisers Forum.
Old 19-12-2012, 05:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You might want to read another, very detailed discussion about this exact question. Just click on this link to read.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-94403.html
Old 19-12-2012, 08:15   #6

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

It seems to be a somewhat probable idea that I'll find my boat in the Auzzieland/NZ area. As I am an American citizen who may not come back to the states for the lifetime of the boat - what would be my best course of action, if any? I'm sorry if this is a slight seguay from the original thread ....
Old 19-12-2012, 09:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
It seems to be a somewhat probable idea that I'll find my boat in the Auzzieland/NZ area. As I am an American citizen who may not come back to the states for the lifetime of the boat - what would be my best course of action, if any? I'm sorry if this is a slight seguay from the original thread ....
Very easy to have your boat documented in the US with the USCG. Just need a mailing address for the paperwork. Would be best to pick a state for the mailing address where you don't have to pay annual taxes, sales tax, etc.

Not sure if there would be any issues with the country where the boat was manufactured. I have seen comments that this might be a concern but don't recall seeing any documentation on that.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledam1 View Post
tks for your reply anyway - I live in santo domingo, I bought this boat three weeks ago and she is here in SD, the old flag was us and will be early cancelled. So as in SD for registration need to import and pay taxes what can I do ?
Panama I think is expensive too. Bonaire is impossible, Belgium and some other countries needs to be resident. In italy is suicide to register a boat.
what suggestion ? many thanks
My impression was that when registering in the European Union, VAT only becomes payable if the boat is re-imported into an EU country.

I suggest that you carefully check the costs of flagging in Italy as I suspect you may only be assuming that they are high.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 10:53   #9

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
In New Zealand only a New Zealander or a New Zealand entity can register a yacht in NZ. see Ship registration in New Zealand - Maritime New Zealand

However to register a company in NZ which can be the owner of the vessel is very easy and cheap. In NZ you need only one share holder. If the yacht is in NZ and the GST and import duty paid this is probably the best way to go. I believe you can register a company online. Or you can form a NZ trust to own the yacht and register it under the NZ flag. You made need assistance of a professional to form a trust. I have not yet researched this.

I believe it is slightly different in OZ.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 13:28   #10

tks skipmak for the link given but is hard to find an useful answer there. so I explain in my bad english. To register in italy is dangerous due tax and other incomes.all italian are going off. in santo domingo registration means to import and pay 30/50 % the value. Impossible also if the boat is old and cheap. In us they told me not possible if I am not resident. At the moment I am registered in Us but they cannot change the property. this is the problem. somebody know where is possible to register as panama but not so expensive?tks
Old 19-12-2012, 13:34   #11

St. Lucia has become a very popular place to register a yacht these days. They are very accommodating and friendly and from my understanding, very cheap, though I have not checked out the prices. Email them through customs, I'd think. The USVI is a duty free area so no duty on importation, but as an Italian, I'm not sure about owning a US flag vessel. I believe it's prohibited. I think the BVI's have a lot of safety equipment requirements because of the huge numbers of charter boats and I imagine they're on the more expensive side.
For the guy who is a yank buying a boat overseas, is it a US built boat? If so, no duty. Otherwise contact the US consulate or embassy locally or the state department online for info on duty relating to registration rather than importation and they can help you.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 13:48   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledam1 View Post
tks skipmak for the link given but is hard to find an useful answer there. so I explain in my bad english. To register in italy is dangerous due tax and other incomes.all italian are going off. in santo domingo registration means to import and pay 30/50 % the value. Impossible also if the boat is old and cheap. In us they told me not possible if I am not resident. At the moment I am registered in Us but they cannot change the property. this is the problem. somebody know where is possible to register as panama but not so expensive?tks
Hi Danieledam1,

First, please no apology for your English. It is quite good and is much, much better than any Italian I may know.

If you find no other options here is a suggestion. In the USA there are two different ways to register your boat. One is limited only to US citizens and is called "documentation". This is done with the US Coast Guard so is a federal government process.

The second option is to register the boat with one of the states like Florida or New York. This process is not so formal and is allowed for non US citizens. The cost is very low in most states. For an older boat the cost in Florida could be less than $100 but you must renew this every year.

You must be careful with a few details if you do a state registration. First, some states will charge you a sales tax on the price of the boat if you register in that state. The average tax is 6-7% so much lower than VAT or SD import duties. Some states will have no tax at all. To do this you will need to have a mailing address to send the paperwork but that should not be too difficult to arrange.

Second and possibly more important, the state registration papers are not as official looking as the USCG documentation papers. If you will be cruising to a lot of different countries some officials may question the papers. This you would have to decide for yourself if it could be a problem.

Hope this is helpful.

Skip
Old 19-12-2012, 14:23   #13

tks skip and all body helped me very kind. I will try to contact florida. hope by google.
Old 19-12-2012, 14:39   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You might want to read another, very detailed discussion about this exact question. Just click on this link to read.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-94403.html
and that thread also contains some info about registering in Jersey ........which seems to be a touch cheaper overall than the BVI .....just need to be an EU citizen (not an EU resident) and no need for the boat to be imported let alone taxed . plus no skipper / crew licensing nor minimum boat equipment / safety requirements.

Nothing free though (approx $2 1/2 -$3k for ten years?).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:49   #15

david old jersey - have you the link to reach this jersey ? what means "new jersey state" or what ? sorry but I do not understand. you said approx. 2-3 thousands us $ for ten years ? Ok very optimist. I am old 70 and do not think ( maybe if hope) to sail for ten years more. many tks guy

Tags
registration