Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 19:33   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Smile Fixing a boat.

Hi all I found a 1986 34' sadler sailboat that is for sale after IKE went trhough texas, now before you jump on me I knew from the beggining that there probably weren't going to be any worth considering but I was wrong, It wasn't submerged at all inside, the electronics are good, wiring is good, the mast and rigging is good, sails are good and the inside looks like new the only things wrong are some toe rail is missing, some stanchions and lifelines are missing on the starboard side, the finish is faded, and the gelcoat is crazed due to age, and the rub rail could use some work but the only real problem is a 2' hole in the bow in the middle between the deck and the waterline. now that wouldn't be that hard to fix considering that most of the fibergalss is still there and besides that I can get 12 buckets of fiber glass from the local Home Depot. for $6.00 a bucket to fix it, I was wondering if I should spend my time on it and thought that since you probably have some ideas I thought I would ask you. There are some pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F_8403_120275.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5948   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_8403_120269.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5949  

Name:	F_8403_120255.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	5950   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_8403_120248.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	5951  

Name:	F_8403_120253.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	5952   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_8403_120254.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	5953  

Old 24-11-2008, 19:43   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
If the bow and the other things you mentioned are the only things wrong I'd go for it depending on the price.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 19:59   #3

Thanks Skipr I think I will, It's up for auction so I can probably get it really cheap.
Old 24-11-2008, 20:11   #4

Boat: Pearson 34
Nice boat; if you can get it cheep enough I'm sure you will be busy but happy. Mid 1980's is when many builders were changing coring material from end grain balsa core to close cell foam. If you are fortunate the damage will have missed the coring but if not, end grain balsa core is easy to repair but water tends to migrate around and past foam. The water will be a problem and a week point for ever. One other thing don't cheep out on resin use epoxy, it bonds better and has much more flexibility. You will be in my neighborhood for the auction contact me if I can help, I have done work like this before. There is a 37' C&C to be auctioned I might look at.
Raggedy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 20:41   #5

Thank you so very very much Raggedy, I hadn't thought about the epoxy angle, since you are there I was wondering how much you think that the top bid would be if you don't mind telling me?
Old 25-11-2008, 20:25   #6

Boat: Pearson 34
Sorry no idea of what bid's will be, boat could sell around $40/$45,000 in good condition. I wouldn't pay more than 5 to 10% of that depending on how much you want it. Just a few things to consider, I think it is a deck step mast personally I prefer keel step which is much stronger. It has a tiller, wheel is much easier and less tiring; though I know those that prefer the tiller. The cost to change from tiller to wheel would be very expensive. From the photos it appears they led all lines aft, like it or not you will have to leave the cockpit in all types of weather plan on jack lines, tethers and graceful agility; I'm 58 and I work hard to stay in shape to be able to meander about top side with confidence. I have a 34 Pearson and love it, I sail single handed and the cockpit set up is near perfect for that. BUT because the boat is no longer in production many parts are hard to find and need to be hand made, I love a challenge. I think Sadler is made in Europe, parts may be difficult to find.
Raggedy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 20:44   #7

Raggedy, actually this one is wheel steering with auto pilot, and all the lines look to have been led to the cockpit, and thanks for the price estimate for a newone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F_8403_120273.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	5977   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_8403_120272.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	5978  

Old 26-11-2008, 04:05   #8

Easy enough to fix: feather the glass with a chicken plucker, add a temporary backer, glass that in, remove the backer, glass and grind the interior, core it, glass the exterior, fair it, paint it, go sailing.

Before you do that. TAKE DOWN THE RIG!

Don't buy your supplies at walmart go to a fiberglass supply house.....
Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber - Fibre Glast Developments Corp. they will help you with questions.

Me? 50 hours. You 250 hours, but you'll learn alot.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 04:55   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
If you have the skills that is doable. One of the other boards I visit had a simular project. The guy did it at the dock amazing.

Sweet boat wish I was not tied to Florida.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 06:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
... feather the glass with a chicken plucker ...
What's a "chicken plucker"?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 11:14   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Sadler 34? Made in the UK, designed by David Sadler (who also designed the Contessa 32). From memory Sadlers were known as a solid family yachts, and built well enough - I am not going to say perfect as nothing is - but certainly they do not come with a reputation for "Yikes"

I dunno how many 34's they built, but I beleive enuf to be called a succesful boat, at least in UK market volume terms. Therefore should be enuf info in Googleland to help with any purchase decisions. But might want to try the forum on YBW.com for current or former owners (or just an opinion on pretty much anything ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedy Man View Post
Mid 1980's is when many builders were changing coring material from end grain balsa core to close cell foam. If you are fortunate the damage will have missed the coring but if not, end grain balsa core is easy to repair but water tends to migrate around and past foam. The water will be a problem and a week point for ever.
This is not gospel - so check it out thoroughly!!! - but I recall that the hulls were solid Glass fibre and not cored hulls.

However, Sadler were going down the path of creating unsinkable yachts at the time so used foam between the hull and interior module / liner. I do not know how structural this foam element is (I think it went in under pressure) or how water resistant it is likely to be (even if not submerged I would assume that at least some water has entered the large hole in the bow!) or what sort of repairs are needed.....so you do need to do some investigations / Googling......but it could (I emphasise could!) be that an unfamiliar construction method on a foreign built boat of unknown (in the US) design scares folk away, leaving a bargain for an informed punter........or the method of construction could mean it is a complete money pit

A couple of links.

Online Brochure

http://www.mikelucasyachting.co.uk/articles/upgrade.htm

SOLD - One owner 1986 Sadler 34SE - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Yachting and Boating World forums: Blue Water Boat

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 17:02   #12

Thanks david I googled and there doesn't seem that there is any foam in between the hull and the liner, and at the last auction they only sold one boat so it should be a good deal, thanks for the rest of the info to that was something I was considereing is how I would get parts but if there are more then it shouldn't be hard.=)
Old 27-11-2008, 07:50   #13

Boat: B24
So long as you like doing glass-work and have enough experience to carry off proper repairs that will pass survey, why not… assuming the price is right. Should be a very rewarding project...

I agree with those who cautioned against lumberyard grade composite products… I’d stick with materials from marine purveyors – opinions vary, but marine grade will (I think) give you the best service, not to mention the various filler (systems) needed (both structurally and esthetically). I have nothing against the lumberyard, and use many of their products on ours – just not in structural areas or areas where hull integrity is necessary…

Good luck…
Old 27-11-2008, 08:12   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Looking at the pictures, I believe that bow is definately cored. Thats not a bad thing. If you buy it right, you could afford to have the work done professionally for 4 or 5 thousand, and sell it for a profit. But the boat is in Texas, right?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:19   #15

yeah the boat is in texas but my uncle said that if I bought or built a boat he could transport it for me and I have all the Coast Gaurd specs for building so it shouldn't be hard.