Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:07   #1

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Fisher 34 vs 37

I'm trying to get a clearer picture of the advantages or disadvantages of a Fisher 37 over a 34 (or visa versa) in terms of space, sailing performance, etc.

I will be living aboard, and usually singlehanding, FWIW.

The layouts (albeit having varied a bit over the years) are pretty close, and it's not completely clear from looking at 100s of photos exactly where all of the space differences are, and whether they are really meaningful or useful.

I'm also interested in experienced opinions about sailing performance. I've read several places that the 34 is the best sailer of the family (apparently due to "a more pronounced bow", whatever that means) but am wondering if that is true in practice.

For those in the know, would you stretch your budget to go for the 37 or would you opt for the 34?

Please, I don't want to get into a long drawn out discussion (in this particular thread) about pros and cons of Fisher motorsailors, or motorsailors in general. I'm looking for specific answers to the above questions from folks who have direct experience with these boats. Thanks!
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
With about 3 extra feet of water line the 37 will sail faster. The extra foot of beam does not sound like much until you are aboard. The Fisher carries a lot of beam so the interior volume is a lot more than the numbers makes you think. The boats also have small exterior cockpits that also increases the interior space of the boats. The bulk of the extra length seems to be added to the pilot house.

I think you'll need to crawl around on the two to feel the significant difference.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fisher