Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 18:21   #1

Fisher 32

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Australian built Fisher 32s, or comparisons with the UK boats (30, 34, 37)? Any knowledge of the history would be interesting as well, as I can't find much.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45   #2

Re: Fisher 32

The fisher 32 isn't a common model outside Australia . Northshore built the 25 30 31 34 37 & the 46 the 46 being the flagship of the range but were limited built I know of a few 31 models here in Northern Ireland there are plenty of 30's here two of them for sale at the minute haven't seen a 34 for a few years now there are two 37's here as well there use to be a 46 in Strangford lough about 15 years ago she was dark green . The fishers were a well built boat & will go through any weather you can throw at them with there heavy displacement an ideal cruising boat
Ajs yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs yachts View Post
The fisher 32 isn't a common model outside Australia . Northshore built the 25 30 31 34 37 & the 46 the 46 being the flagship of the range but were limited built I know of a few 31 models here in Northern Ireland there are plenty of 30's here two of them for sale at the minute haven't seen a 34 for a few years now there are two 37's here as well there use to be a 46 in Strangford lough about 15 years ago she was dark green . The fishers were a well built boat & will go through any weather you can throw at them with there heavy displacement an ideal cruising boat

Thanks for your perspective. It's pretty hard to get info about these.

Wikipedia says the 31 foot Fishers were not commercially successful, but it doesn’t say why. I infer from various sources that Malcolm Barlow bought the molds for that model and started producing the “Fisher 32” in AU, but I can't document the actual purchase of the molds. Still, his boat followed that model very closely.

But I have a lot of questions …

Is the quality the same? One reason to consider buying a Fisher is their reputed quality of construction, as you've noted. Is the Barlow 32 as good?

How do they sail? Sloop rigged Fishers are reputed to sail better and both the 31 and the Barlow 32s are sloops, so … do they sail better than the larger ketch models? Do they even sail better than the smaller 30 foot Fishers? They have a wider beam than the 30 footers, apparently to make the saloon roomier, so maybe they sail even worse? Or, again, better ( cause a wider beam might roll less )? Oy.

I personally like the idea of a sloop Fisher for lower complexity and cost and, if rumor holds true, better sailing performance. But here-say is a weak data point and its hard to know if a particular anecdote can be generalized. Maybe somebody had a 37 foot sloop that sailed well for whatever reason, or was experienced on a good day, and now the internet thinks “fisher sloops sail better”.

I included an image of a cutter rigged Fisher ketch below. That’s 4 sails on a modest sized boat. Admittedly, it’s also a lot more rigging and effort, but can a taller masted sloop really out-sail it?

I wonder if there’s even anyone who has sailed each of these boats and who can answer these questions. Quite possibly not. But every bit of info helps. Thanks again.

(a Barlow in some trouble)
http://www.ezraschartbooks.com/storm.html

... and some images to stimulate thought:

(cutter rigged fisher 37)

(a 37 out of the water)

(good view of a Fisher 30 hull)

(I think this is a Fisher 31 hull - could hardly mistake it for a sleek boat)

(good view of a Barlow 32 hull - some notable differences)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:15   #4

Quote:

Thanks for your perspective. It's pretty hard to get info about these.

Wikipedia says the 31 foot Fishers were not commercially successful, but it doesn’t say why. I infer from various sources that Malcolm Barlow bought the molds for that model and started producing the “Fisher 32” in AU, but I can't document the actual purchase of the molds. Still, his boat followed that model very closely.

But I have a lot of questions …

Is the quality the same? One reason to consider buying a Fisher is their reputed quality of construction, as you've noted. Is the Barlow 32 as good?

How do they sail? Sloop rigged Fishers are reputed to sail better and both the 31 and the Barlow 32s are sloops, so … do they sail better than the larger ketch models? Do they even sail better than the smaller 30 foot Fishers? They have a wider beam than the 30 footers, apparently to make the saloon roomier, so maybe they sail even worse? Or, again, better ( cause a wider beam might roll less )? Oy.

I personally like the idea of a sloop Fisher for lower complexity and cost and, if rumor holds true, better sailing performance. But here-say is a weak data point and its hard to know if a particular anecdote can be generalized. Maybe somebody had a 37 foot sloop that sailed well for whatever reason, or was experienced on a good day, and now the internet thinks “fisher sloops sail better”.

I included an image of a cutter rigged Fisher ketch below. That’s 4 sails on a modest sized boat. Admittedly, it’s also a lot more rigging and effort, but can a taller masted sloop really out-sail it?

I wonder if there’s even anyone who has sailed each of these boats and who can answer these questions. Quite possibly not. But every bit of info helps. Thanks again.

... Some images to stimulate thought:

(cutter rigged fisher 37)

(a 37 out of the water)

(good view of a Fisher 30 hull)

(I think this is a Fisher 31 hull - could hardly mistake it for a sleek boat)

(good view of a Barlow 32 hull - some notable differences)

(and finally, a Barlow in some trouble)
http://www.ezraschartbooks.com/storm.html
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17   #5

The fisher 31 was the sloop rig of the range I used to do all the work & hull prep for the owner before he sold her the fisher 37 was always ketch rigged my mother & stepfather own one they do sail well the advantage being you can hoist the mizzen sail when motoring for balance in a bit of a sea as the hull is on the same lines as a fishing boat hull with the heavy displacement my parents boat was hauled out last month & it was near 16 tons all the fisher range were great boats
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38   #6

Sailed with a guy for a while who had a 37. Super stout boat, sailed well in an old school fashion, long waterline, certainly not a racer though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50   #7

The cutter rigged 37 picture you have posted is the modern 37 which is built by southerly yachts the still build the fisher 25 & the fisher 37 . The second picture is the slightly older fisher 37 as there is no inner staysail . The third picture is indeed a 31 they always looked like a big round tub . U asked if they rolled all fishers will roll cos of the shape of there hull high bow canoe shaped stern & wide middle but a very safe boat . I have herd of a Barlow 32 but I have never seen one myself
Old 07-06-2016, 13:03   #8

Quote:
The cutter rigged 37 picture you have posted is the modern 37 which is built by southerly yachts the still build the fisher 25 & the fisher 37 . The second picture is the slightly older fisher 37 as there is no inner staysail . The third picture is indeed a 31 they always looked like a big round tub . U asked if they rolled all fishers will roll cos of the shape of there hull high bow canoe shaped stern & wide middle but a very safe boat . I have herd of a Barlow 32 but I have never seen one myself
I wondered if the 31/32 might be a little "flatter" than the 30. It would be, at most, a small difference.

If you look at that video of the Barlow 32 I posted at the bottom, it maintains its composure pretty well.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:52   #9

Looked at that video of the Barlow 32 in the surf the fisher should handle the same if not better as I say they are a heavy built so have a heavy displacement there must be about 3/4 of a ton of teak on a fisher . I rember at one time there was a fisher 32 for sale in the south coast of England and the sales sheet did say built in Australia she was dark green in colour but that was about a year & a half ago . It just depends what part of the world you live in cos there is fishers for sale in the uk & Northern Ireland & in Holland I have even seen them for as far away as Singapore & America so they are well traveled boat
Old 15-06-2016, 09:26   #10

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30

A Good friend of mine has the Fisher 34 it is one of he best Boats I have ever sailed on we were in the San Juan's very heavy weather Nw blowing to 55knots she was Awesome I wouldn't fear Sailing this Boat anywhere we were Reefed at 2 and Had the Jibs up was still very smooth since it is a Motor Yacht we were comfortable inside I would recommend if you can afford one I would say that is a Great Boat I would Love to have
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 12:11   #11

I appreciate all comments about Fishers in general. The positive view of them seems to be shared by those who aren't overly concerned about certain performance criteria.

But I want to reiterate the question, which is -- does anyone have any experience to share specifically about the 31 ft and 32 ft boats in relation to the others? The 31s were short lived, for some reason, and the 32s were built in Australia. This makes them outliers. I'm interested in both build quality and performance compared to the larger and smaller boats.

Sorry about the double post above as well. Not sure how to get rid of it now.
Old 17-06-2016, 20:19   #12

There is a Fisher 32 a few boats up from mine in our marina. Great looking boat. When I had engine trouble they towed my Cavalier 32 for 50 miles up the coast, with the wind up to 22 kts over the deck. My weight on the tow line wasn't even noticed by them. I had to call them on the radio to get them to slow down once my bow started burying itself in the waves. Great boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bruceinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 21:00   #13

I admit that part of the fantasy that these boats seem to engender is, "gosh, I can rescue people in this thing!"
Old 12-01-2017, 05:01   #14

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Following with interest.

I've read what I can find online, and the Fisher 32 (or a 34 if one pops up) is on my shortlist for the next boat (about 4 years away - the retire and long term cruise boat). From what I can gather a cutter rig in the 32 is about the best of them for sailing (Mk3 was particularly mentioned by memory).

I'd love to get aboard one and see how they sail for a motor sailer - I currently live on Jim Young Rocket 31, so I have become spoilt and quite used to a nice little turn of speed, and if the Fisher doesn't sail at least reasonably well, that would be a bit of a readjustment.

I will have to buy second hand, but it looks like you can still buy them new too (though can't imagine it would be cheap) - Fisher Motor Sailers

A mate here in Townsville who is a marine engineer worked on a Fisher 46 including sea trials and tells me he was seriously impressed with the engineering and fitout, and thought the boat sailed quite well for a motorsailer.

http://www.fisherowners.org/images/s...e-begining.pdf
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 21:53   #15

Boat: Fisher 32

I have owned a Fisher 32 for more than 5 years. While I can't compare them to others, I can say that they sail extremely well. E.G. in calm water and 20 knots she points well and is perfectly balanced under full sail. They sail far better than their displacement and long keel would suggest. Sloop rigged like all the ones I've seen in Australia.

She is Mukluk and has been for sale via boatsales.com.au for several years.
I have attempted to post a few pictures.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140708_150028.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	163261   Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	1933
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	163262