Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 18:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Fisher 30' seaworthiness

This Fisher 37 ketch was making 7 knots in 18.1 knots apparent wind speed.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:58   #17

Boat: Westsail 28

A friend of mine had a Fisher 30' I think it was a 75' , he loved that boat . Me not so much , although seaworthiness was never a question . However one time we were motoring with just main up and that boat was rolling bad . As far as wood work the Fisher has some , my friend would only consider varnish for the cap rail so it was a constant battle but when he was winning the war it sure looked good . For the rub rail and gunnel boards he left them bare but kept them clean and blond , it was a good looking contrast .
As for single handed sailing my friend did a lot of that , so I guess it was no problem at least for him . He did have a good auto pilot . I have known my friend (Karl)and his Fisher since 94' he never seemed to have any major problems with it . The only thing really ever to go wrong was the engine ( Volvo MD 3) he was getting water in one cylinder , finally in the end he did a re power .
The cons for me are , small cockpit , wheel house , basically no keel , it being a motor sailor , you had better be hanging on when it starts to roll .
Pros , very good looking boat IMO , built strong , lots of storage for cruising , nice accommodations down below (galley , settee , bunks , head ).
And my favorite , it lends it's self to wood shell turning blocks .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:42   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Fishers are fine and safe boats. They power well, sail at some angles to the wind (rather slow, but still) and roll like hell in offshore swell.

I would not hesitate to take one, in the right season, to the Azores, Madeira or Canary Islands, especially that I live here ;-)

Fine boats and if you match them with the right seasons and sound seagoing skills you should be pretty safe.

They make great liveaboards - huge volume, decent layout, good protection from the elements, etc.

PS I know a guy who sailed his from the UK to here.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:25   #19

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfodk View Post
Used to own a small sailboat - and now when retirement is 10 years away (or less) I have a dream of crusing a little bit (before and after retirement )

I am in love with the "Fisher" type of boats - but want to keep it manageable not too big (under 10 meters). My dream is to cruise the mediteranean - perhaps go as far as Madeira and the Canaries, or even the Azores - but no cross atlantic "work".

The boat will only be part time liveaboard - we would probably rent a place when we arrive.... but during passages and at anchor we would ofc stay aboard.

We live in Scandinavia and would take the canals to the med - and cruise from there.

My question is - will a Fisher 30' do the job in terms of seaworthiness - or are there other similar type boats better suited for the task. My priorities are Safety first - then comfort... ideally both. We will only be 2 onboard so sailing singelhandedly must be easy. My biggest fear is to be surprised by unexpected weather and be aboard a vessel that cannot handle it.

A small boat will allow me to afford top class equipment and maintenance. But is it safe enough?
We own a fisher 25. it has a bigger cockpit than the fisher 30. I saw plenty of fisher 25s in Scotland with live aboard couples. We sailed her from Pwllheli to Stornoway. Some bad weather off Ardnamurchan and she did fine. Wind has to be beam or aft of it and she will sail pretty okay. anchored her in Campbeltown in 30 kn winds. fisher 25 is a better option than 30. my opinion.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 06:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
We own a fisher 25. it has a bigger cockpit than the fisher 30. I saw plenty of fisher 25s in Scotland with live aboard couples. We sailed her from Pwllheli to Stornoway. Some bad weather off Ardnamurchan and she did fine. Wind has to be beam or aft of it and she will sail pretty okay. anchored her in Campbeltown in 30 kn winds. fisher 25 is a better option than 30. my opinion.
I’m looking at a 25 and thank you for your comment
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
A friend of mine had a Fisher 30' I think it was a 75' , he loved that boat . Me not so much , although seaworthiness was never a question . However one time we were motoring with just main up and that boat was rolling bad . As far as wood work the Fisher has some , my friend would only consider varnish for the cap rail so it was a constant battle but when he was winning the war it sure looked good . For the rub rail and gunnel boards he left them bare but kept them clean and blond , it was a good looking contrast .
As for single handed sailing my friend did a lot of that , so I guess it was no problem at least for him . He did have a good auto pilot . I have known my friend (Karl)and his Fisher since 94' he never seemed to have any major problems with it . The only thing really ever to go wrong was the engine ( Volvo MD 3) he was getting water in one cylinder , finally in the end he did a re power .
The cons for me are , small cockpit , wheel house , basically no keel , it being a motor sailor , you had better be hanging on when it starts to roll .
Pros , very good looking boat IMO , built strong , lots of storage for cruising , nice accommodations down below (galley , settee , bunks , head ).
And my favorite , it lends it's self to wood shell turning blocks .
I have a fisher 31 bought a few months back , I like the boat in every way , However my trip down the Washington coast USA with a beam swell it rolled like crazy , Never put a sail up as i don’t know how to sail yet , I’ve been tossing around the idea of Rerigging the boat much like a Diesel duck , paravanes small sail’s, I know this is an old post just trying for an opinion or two , Like I said i love the boat just need to solve the rolling problem
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, Fisher