Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 06:07   #1

first vs. oceanis

from what i have read in this website (and others), it appears that the beneteau first series of boats is widely respected and recommended. unfortunately, my findings indicate that demand is greater than supply.

because of these circumstances; the oceanis line has now become desirable and attractive. i have a question: are these boats as fast as the first models (i would be sailing in lake ontario and i want a fast boat) ? could anyone recommend other boats which are fast and sail nicely in lake ontario?

i am familiar with the beneteau owners forum, but i would like opinions that are wider in scope and not as bias. any comments would be appreciated.

as well, i have another question. is it common for individuals to purchase from far away distances or does an individual purchase locally (saving money but not obtaining the desired boat)?
molson cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 06:50   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
No the Oceanis or cruising line isn't as fast as the Firsts. You don't say what size boat you're looking for and fast is a relative term. Are you going to race? If you are then your best bet is to get a boat that has a good size one design fleet on Lake Ontario, anything from Thunderbirds and Sharks to CS30's. The larger size boats for one design are mostly Beneteau Firsts and the new Tartan built C&C's now.

Since the Cdn dollar has gone up a bit it's a lot more common for Canadians to buy boats in the States. It all depends on what you want and as far as price goes, how much you want it. Lots of boats for sale in Toronto.
Old 13-09-2008, 08:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have had the pleasure to sail on the First 40.7 and a Oceanis 393. I am no Beneteau expert and to be honest I was rail meat on the Oceanis.

The Firsts are faster and the 40.7 was fun to sail.

Bring your charge card - racing 40 foot boats is not cheap. We blew up about $16,000 worth of sails in one day.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 10:45   #4

i am looking for a boat approximately 33 feet (it could be up to 36 and down to 32, but ideally i would like it to be 34. i do not want to race (for now only sailing; later i may want to race but for now, my time restraits allow only sailing).
additionally i reside in toronto, but on the yachtworld/boats website, i can save a few thousand dollars if i spent some time and energy by shopping in the US.
any opinions / comments is very much appreciated. thankyou
molson cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 11:17   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You might think you're going to save a few thousand shopping in the States but in reality it might cost more. Most of the folks that I know that bought there made at least four or five trips before they found the right boat. Sometimes the ad and the boat are two different things. On top of this you have to pay to get the boat shipped up here. Lots of CS33's and older C&C 34's around.
Old 13-09-2008, 11:58   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson cdn View Post
i am looking for a boat approximately 33 feet (it could be up to 36 and down to 32, but ideally i would like it to be 34. i do not want to race (for now only sailing; later i may want to race but for now, my time restraits allow only sailing).
additionally i reside in toronto, but on the yachtworld/boats website, i can save a few thousand dollars if i spent some time and energy by shopping in the US.
You might want to look at the Catalina 34. We're very happy with ours but of course we are biased. The guy we bought it from raced it on Lake Ontario and apparently did quite well. As to buying in the US, I have an acquantance who did that earlier in the year when the Cdn$ was better than it is now. I'd probably be looking at a US Great Lakes boat if I was in your place. (Make certain that the boat was manufactured in North America or you'll have to pay duty!!!)

Good Luck!!
Old 14-09-2008, 23:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson cdn View Post
Take a look at the Elan 34s. There's onehere that seems to routinely kick but around here.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis