Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 08:49   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: First trailerable sailboat? Have 2 small kids.

I had an O'Day 23 as my first boat. It was trailerable and was a keel/centerboard. I would go as large as I could, small boats just get smaller with time.... (We've since traded up to a Catalina 30)

Fair Winds!
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 08:50   #17

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you can find an old Lightning (19') grab it. Low weight so you don't need a heavy duty truck to pull it, easy to erect the mast single handed, centerboard so you can beach it if you wish to do so, and most importantly, a stable sailor in case your kids don't like getting the rails wet. Mine was great when my 3 boys were small. Of course overnights are out unless you camp on a beach but plenty of space to load the gear.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 08:52   #18

I just moved up to an Islander 32 mk11. Loved the O'Day but gf wanted more headroom inside......
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 09:01   #19

balboa 26 if you can find one.
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:16   #20

A West Wight Potter 19 is another option. Can even cross oceans with it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:42   #21

The Cat 22 is near the weight limit of your tow vehicle. A reasonable consideration for buying a Catalina 22, is that they are the most produced class of boats ever. They are everywhere and have a pretty good resale value. I just spent my first night at anchor on my new (to me) Cat 22 and can say that the V-berth is good for young kids but hell for adults. Adults on the settee berths and little kids in the V-berth would work great. I dont know prices in your area, but $5K should get you a very good/well equipped Catalina 22. There are several good Catalina web sites. Best of luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:50   #22

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Whichever boat you choose, make sure there is a single-handed way of raising and lowering the mast. I had a McGregor 25 as a grandkids boat and getting the rig up and down was a nightmare - not just the weight and leverage but also the standing rigging snagging on every deck fitting on the way up. In the end I gave up and kept it at the dock with the mast up.In spite of the boat's bad reputation, we had fun with it, once we forgot about trailering it any further than up the ramp.
JohnMardall
Vetus Group
LIGHT tension with bungees can control where the standing rigging goes.
That can make things much simpler.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 22:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As always, the first question needs to be how big the budget is.

Personally I would look at a Corsair F24 mkii. Faster, lighter, more comfortable, easier to trailer. It even has a pretty reasonable cabin for weekending.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 22:51   #24

Boat: Precision 18

I'd also like to throw out there for your consideration the Precision 18. One day I'll have a bigger boat, but for the past 4 summers, our P18 has been the source of countless hours camping, fishing, exploring etc. I sail it on everything from the local lake to Lake Superior. I tow it with a 6 cyl. Chrysler van.

Once I get to the launch, it takes 20 minutes to set up alone (including stepping the mast). Less time if I have a friend or one of my kids along. Draws 18" board up, Factory installed stainless swim ladder and outboard mount. It is surprisingly large inside (slept 4 adults in a pinch one time). Longest period of "live aboard" was 5 days & 4 nights up on Superior with 2 other adults.

Obviously I love my P18, but will stop singing it's praises for now. It's another trailerable that is budget friendly (and family friendly).

Keep us posted on what you find!

Olaf3
olaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 06:34   #25

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
First trailerable sailboat? Have 2 small kids.

Please check out the Com-Pac 19. A wonderfully stable little yacht which can be launched and retrieved easily. We spent many nights aboard our 19 as a couple and had 1-2 children join us occasionally. Solid, flat sailing boat that you will feel comfortable moving about the deck when underway.

We'd also second the Hunter 23.5. Roomy, bright, very easily rigged and a fun sail.

Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:12   #26

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

I have a West Wight Potter 19. Its an extremely stable boat that is designed to sail upright, so no scary heeling for the wife. Reefed it will handle 25-30 knot winds, way more than you will be able to tolerate.

It has two MRI births for the kids and a v-berth for you and the wife. It has a primitive galley, but using a propane stove over the side on the rail is easier. There is a porta-pottie.

With a small OB you can move along when there is no wind.

Very safe boat, 100% positive flotation. You can't sink her even if the cabin fills up with water.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
........and can say that the V-berth is good for young kids but hell for adults. Adults on the settee berths and little kids in the V-berth would work great.
We had one, loved it. Like Jim Cate, although not that adventurous. We sailed SF Bay, The Delta and Clear Lake (during the summers).

The "trick" to sleeping the adults and kids on it: build a small plywood filler between the dinette and the starboard side (this is on a Mark I older version). Adults sleep athwartships, like a double bed.

In any case, if someone uses the V berth, the access to the Porta Potti at night is dubious at best.

Good luck, happy hunting.

There is a great C22 Association website, many owner websites and an active group at Owner resources, parts, accessories, boats for sale, and more..
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:58   #28

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

In any case, if someone uses the V berth, the access to the Porta Potti at night is dubious at best.
We made a simple tent for the cockpit for night use out of screening and tinker toy pvc pipe. We put the porta pottie in the cockpit at night. More privacy, and no odors filling the tiny cabin.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:14   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

The weather here can be fickle, it often rains in the summer and nights can be cold in the mountains where we sail, so our porta potie was.......smack dab in the middle of the cabin. Jim is 6 feet, he simply could not use the potie behind the bulkhead as intended.

I probably should not admit to sitting on the pottie lid while cooking dinner....

But the catalina 22 is an awesome little boat. Ours served us very well for several years and many week long adventures. Yes, with our dog too. He loved standing on the bow as we sailed, ears flying, tail wagging....
Old 22-06-2016, 18:51   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

The smallest trailerable boat I would consider would be a Cape Dory Typhoon. West Wight Potter's are good boats as well as the Catalina 22 that have been mentioned. Really, it all comes down to budget and what your tow vehicle can handle.

Which base are you at? I'm out of Belvoir myself.

Like mentioned before, if you have the boat in the water, you're more likely to use the boat more often. Raising and lowering a mast for each sail will get old really quick. But having a boat ready to tow down the road to new sailing waters wouldn't be too bad either for weekend trips.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, sail, sailboat