Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 13:16   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: First Sailboat Recommendations, SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
That's an artificial reef looking for a final home. From the description it has leaked like a sieve. For the price of just replacing the primary winches they could buy a decent boat.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:17   #17

Boat: private yacht always moving

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=26784&url=
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:33   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First Sailboat Recommendations, SW Florida

Welcome to CF.........
WAIT.......... perspectives change and having $x dead in a B/yard costing $x to keep there is plain dumb..
Do it after you've moved and 'Know' how things stand...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:34   #19

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

I am total newbie ... but now co-owner first sailboat (Islander 33' 1966 flattop) with my BF who is experienced sailor. He fell for this boat as best in our budget (which was much smaller than yours!)

The BF calls it a stout, beamy, boat, full keel, and the fibreglass back in 1966 was bulletproof. Newer, in-board Diesel. Roller furling. We are in Cali, but I imagine these things would be good in FL, too.

As far as keeping the woman happy ... previous owner customized the galley for HIS wife - I love it. We looked at a LOT of boats before buying ... I wanted an in-line galley ... it was difficult to find ... but Timo found one for me.

Previous owner of our 1966 kept boat incredibly well-maintained. It is the nicest 1966 boat I have seen. I like older boats. We got a lot of "bang" for the buck as we weren't paying for "new".

I agree with those who told you "shop around A LOT". We love our new (to us) boat and it is my first. We looked at a LOT of boats and pictures of boats so we had a good idea of what we BOTH liked. Then we looked until we found the right boat in our budget.

I can imagine couples fighting ... but Timo listened to what I said about galley & layout and I listened to what he said about equipment, seaworthiness and what we could afford.
Result is we have a boat we BOTH love.

Good luck & Happy Shopping!
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 18:02   #20

Thanks everyone for sharing your, "words of wisdom." All of your advice is well taken. I am listening!!! It's beginning to sound like a shoal draft may be my best option for the west coast. Our house is in the Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area and I know the local bays are pretty shallow. Rich...you and a couple of the others have nearly convinced me to wait until we actually move before buying our boat. What sounded like a good idea (spending part of my six weeks vacation getting a boat ready) may not be the best plan after all. So, unless I find a remarkable deal...I will probably wait. Meanwhile, I will take your advice and hang out at some of the docks and see what I can learn. Maybe someone could recommend a good shallow draft boat that also peforms well in the open water?

Thanks again everyone. All advice has been/is welcome.
solohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 22:12   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by solohr View Post
My wife says I must keep the total under 25K. I do have cash...so that helps a some. Still, I figure to buy an older boat and/or one that needs some light to medium TLC. (I grew up on a farm and have some skills...mechanics, carpentry and even minor paint/body work.) Honestly, I enjoy "fun" hands on projects. Keeping all of this in mind....what should I start looking for? Primary use will be coastal crusing in the Naples to Sarasota area. But, as we gain confidence, I would really like to travel down to the Keys and even beyond. I have friends of several of the Caribbean islands. From what I have read, this will require a boat designed for open (blue) water. We have looked at some boats locally and decided 32 - 40 ft. LOA will best suit our personal size requirements.

40' will be pushing it on your budget unless you get lucky.

Which rigging is best, sloop, cutter?

Sloop is great for racing and fine for cruising. Cutter generally better for cruising. Most boats that you can afford will be sloops. That said, on most of them you could reasonably install a romoveable forestay for a staysail. Doing so would improve mast support generally and provide redundancy, it might allow you to sail with fewer sails depending on your preferences and it moves the storm sail inboard from the bow where it will be marginally less bouncy in heavy weather.

What is best draft for this area...shoal, deep, centerboard or fixed keel?

Sound like you answered this one yourself in the next post quoted below.

Best/worst engines?

Diesel has the advantage of being a somewhat safer fuel, the engines last longer and they give much better fuel economy.

Atomic 4 (the ubiquitus gas engine) is less safe than diesel, not dangerous per se, just less safe, will get you a big price reduction on the boat and is more tolerant of running for short periods or at lower load than a diesel.

Motoring the boat at 4kt with gas should give you about the same fuel economy as diesel at 6kt if you have the patience for that. If I was motoring offshore I would go at 4kt regardless of the engine, I am more interested in range than speed.

My recommendation is to be happy with the engine of whatever boat strikes your fancy as long as it works reasonable well. For diesel engines pay for a mechanic from an authorized dealer/service center for that engine maker to look over the engine. Don't just expect a boat surveyor to go a good job of that.

Best optional equipment to have?

Lots of different anchors and the rodes to set them on. If one doesn't work where you are trying to anchor, try a different one. Get the whole system right. Get and read the Earl Hinz book on anchoring. The big question with anchoring I have is whether there is an electric windlass currently available that has a manual backup with any kind of mechanical advantage to it. The best I've seen is about 12 to 1 which is pretty hard work unless the boat is small and light meaning the anchoring gear is lighter.

Things to avoid?

Roller furling for the main.

Also, where is the best place to buy a boat? (individual, marina, internet, etc.?) I am ready and willing to purchase anytime...especially if I can find a hot deal on a great boat.

If you have time to burn before you need the boat you are more likely to find a good deal if you have the will to walk away from something that isn't quite right and a willingness to look far and wide and regularly.

Is it possible or even a good idea to leave one on the hard for 2+ years? There are a couple of DIY boatyard in the area where I could store/work on it. We could always use our vacations to get it ready and make sure everything is working.

Parking it for 2yr shouldn't be a problem as long as you can afford the monthly fees. Start looking now. The question is where are you looking, just FL or whereever it is you are now? If you are looking in both places you are more likely to find a deal. If you find it where you are now you can find moorage there and work on it until you move. Then you have the problem of moving it. That may be an adventure you want to try though. All depends on where you are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solohr View Post
It's beginning to sound like a shoal draft may be my best option for the west coast. Our house is in the Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area and I know the local bays are pretty shallow. Maybe someone could recommend a good shallow draft boat that also peforms well in the open water?
I don't think you really need shoal draft for the west coast. The Gulf coast on the other hand.

Several makers made some good centerboarders in the '60's. You might check out these.

TARTAN 34 C Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 34 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
SEABREEZE 35 (ALLIED) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
BRISTOL 29 CB Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
BRISTOL 30 CB Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
BRISTOL 34 CB Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
CORVETTE 31 (C&C) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
GRAMPIAN 30 CB Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 28 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
PEARSON 33 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
TARTAN 27 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
SABRE 34 CB Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6258 Tartan 37.1
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1826 Tartan 37.2
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 18:36   #22

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all of this great information. Not only are you answering my questions, but also giving me a few new things to ponder. I never did like making mistakes and I believe this advice may help me avoid some. I have started a notebook with many of your suggestions. Adelie...thanks for the info on the rigging and the list of potential boats. I have already started reading up on them. Thanks again for not making me feel foolish for asking some basic questions.
Old 14-05-2011, 21:38   #23
Eternal Member

Re: First Sailboat Recommendations - SW Florida

Solohr,

You are talking a fair amount of change here. The only foolish thing would be to NOT ask a bunch of questions. You will, of course get a lot of divergent answers, a brotherhood of the cloth we may be but even brothers often disagree. Take all of our answers with a grain or three of salt and see what makes sense to you. As you progress, you will be able to ask more specific questions which will guide you further. Ultimately you will make your own decision and know it was your decision and not just from us.

Rich
Old 15-05-2011, 08:57   #24

In your area the shoal draft is a big plus for sure. I would want 4.5 feet or less draft for S Fla and th bahamas. The I-36 are good boats and very roomy for a 36. Not sure if any are shoal draft though. You're not going to find a 40 footer that is any good for anywhere near $25k. Mid 30's is a nice size for a couple. I cant remember whether it's the I32 or the I36 but one of them has pretty good weather helm going on. expect to pay about 60% of asking price. Some exceptions though.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 09:58   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Here's one you could create a second cabin in.

COLUMBIA 40 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

1967 Columbia Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1965 Columbia 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 12:38   #26
Eternal Member

Assuming you find your ideal boat, I might also suggest that prior to making an offer, do a quick check with an insurance agent to see if the boat is insurable. You don't have to have insurance if you pay cash but here in the states I would at least recommend liability coverage. Second, once you get down here and start cruising the docks begin making inquiries for a good surveyor. If you have insurance or a loan which requires insurance, you will need a survey. Even if it is not strictly necessary I'd still recommend getting one.

I've a friend at the marina who bought a 34 footer for a very reasonable price. He's taken it to the Bahamas twice. After the first trip he hauled the boat and discovered the prior owner had a real hard grounding (since he hadn't run aground at all he knew it wasn't him). The rudder had a huge crack and the rudder shoe would wiggle about 1/2in. There was also a big chunk out of the keel. We helped him fix it but if he'd had a survey he might not have had to spend that much.

Finally, you're going to really like being in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. Lots of nice cruising for weekends and longer. My father had a house on the canal in Punta Gorda Ilses and kept a 53 Hatteras there.

Have fun,
Rich
Old 15-05-2011, 16:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
take a look at this, project boat on the hard for some time

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=24584&url=
If your goal is to end the marriage ... this boat will do it.
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 12:33   #28

Thanks again everyone for your insight and information. Rich, my wife fell in love with the Punta Gorda/Cape area before we bought our house. We were both impressed with how friendly the people are. It's nice to know we can expect even more good things when we start cruising.

I do have another question. Cheechako said some thing interesting; "expect to pay about 60% of asking price. Some exceptions though." I know used boat markets will differ from area to area, but is this realistic for the Florida area? If so, it will give me a little broader brush to paint with. ..tom

Tags
florida, sailboat