Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 23:41   #31

Boat: Hunter 27
I hit send twice oops
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 23:41   #32

I started small I bought a Cal 20. I could have got a 25 to 28 for not much more when you consider I needed a trailer and outboard. I saw a nice 27 for only 500 more than I have in this one. The reasons I stayed small were, first it was not intimidating, not a big jump from the daysailers I have sailed. I get lost on some of the bigger and race boats too much going on. Second slip fees are cheaper, third I can trailer it so there are,more places I can sail. It is also a pretty stiff boat and can hold its own for a small boat. I know I will be moving up in size so some might think it is a waste but I think it is a perfect transition for me. There are drawbacks to a small boat but there are many advantages also.
Old 31-03-2013, 03:00   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: First sailboat?

To the OP:

If you think the girlfriend with 2 children is a "keeper," then you may want to consider either camping ashore from your boat, or a boat with berths for 6. Plus, kids don't shrink. Other than that, something in the 27 to 30 ft. range, is a large boat to start in. I'm thinking costs, here.

Everything happens slower than in smaller boats, but that's a different issue. Therefore, you may learn less about boat handling, but it still might fit your needs better. Your choices. Some of our choices work well for us; others don't. I'll try to think of a sassy way to say that, but it's how it is, IMO.
Old 31-03-2013, 06:21   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
I started small I bought a Cal 20. I could have got a 25 to 28 for not much more when you consider I needed a trailer and outboard. I saw a nice 27 for only 500 more than I have in this one. The reasons I stayed small were, first it was not intimidating, not a big jump from the daysailers I have sailed. I get lost on some of the bigger and race boats too much going on. Second slip fees are cheaper, third I can trailer it so there are,more places I can sail. It is also a pretty stiff boat and can hold its own for a small boat. I know I will be moving up in size so some might think it is a waste but I think it is a perfect transition for me. There are drawbacks to a small boat but there are many advantages also.
A Cal 20 completed the Singlehanded Tranpac SHTP which is a 2200 mile singlehanded race from San Francisco to Hawaii. I believe the name of the vessel was Black Feathers...........not bad for a small boat.

Yes, it was Black Feathers:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Feathers.../dp/1440191964
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:20   #35

And people think I am crazy for making a 70 run to Bimini.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
And people think I am crazy for making a 70 run to Bimini.
Well, I wouldn't worry about that. My brother in law crossed on a 16' Boston Whaler back in the 80's.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:49   #37

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

I have been in the same situation buying a first boat. Bought an 18 footer last winter cheap in off season for 2 grand and with an exterior paint job can get five grand for it next summer. That will buy a bigger boat every year as I learn to sail.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 18:50   #38

You will learn much better manners on a smaller boat and also will have to be faster and more responses. You may not lose any money if you can pick up an older boat that's not too expensive. I think a 30' would be plenty big enough to last you a while. A C-30 fin keel may be a good coastal cruising choice while being somewhat forgiving while you learn what's what.
GREGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42   #39

I have a Bristol 27 as a first (monohull) sailboat. I was continually looking for a larger boat until I realized that I didn't really need one while I am still working.

You can only sail so far on a weekend or week or 2 vacation. This 27' Bristol can take me all the places I could possibly want to go in that time period. I usually sail the 18 miles across the bay to the Eastern Shore on the weekends just to get away from the crowded Va Beach area.

So I plan to use it and then maybe buy a larger one when I stop working.
Old 11-04-2013, 20:38   #40

Boat: Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To the OP:

If you think the girlfriend with 2 children is a "keeper," then you may want to consider either camping ashore from your boat, or a boat with berths for 6. Plus, kids don't shrink. Other than that, something in the 27 to 30 ft. range, is a large boat to start in. I'm thinking costs, here.

Everything happens slower than in smaller boats, but that's a different issue. Therefore, you may learn less about boat handling, but it still might fit your needs better. Your choices. Some of our choices work well for us; others don't. I'll try to think of a sassy way to say that, but it's how it is, IMO.
I like this, cause it gives me the possability of going differant directions. But giving up the 1 thing I love more then anything eles my Family is not going to happen.

I like what you are thinking, and in any occasion on the water we will make it work. But again im talking about resale of a smaller S/V to a larger S/V. Common sence plays a big part and I know folks who can't get out of what there are in to get something bigger. Stuff happens and the economy is what it is but I have to much common sence. To struggle with selling something smaller to get something bigger makes know sence. I need more then this, prove my common sence wrong, please or I will know this is right for me. I do not want to make a big mistake and get something to big as to something smaller or the right size.
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 20:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
A Cal 20 completed the Singlehanded Tranpac SHTP which is a 2200 mile singlehanded race from San Francisco to Hawaii. I believe the name of the vessel was Black Feathers...........not bad for a small boat.

Black Feathers: A Pocket Racer Sails The Singlehanded TransPac: Robert Crawford, Jeanne Crawford: 9781440191961: Amazon.com: Books

To much saling up front, need to get my feet wet before all that...
Old 11-04-2013, 20:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Black Feathers: A Pocket Racer Sails The Singlehanded TransPac: Robert Crawford, Jeanne Crawford: 9781440191961: Amazon.com: Books

Ok, Here it is in a nut shell. I will anchor my boat and not pay for a slip. Fees are to expencive. For now a 7-9 foot dingy will get us to shore and back with paddels no motor as it is cost effective. Next, learning to sail a bigger boat everyday after work, that is how you get used to her. Next start sailing, put up the main and the jib and live life.
Next teach all of my girls the sailing terms and put my GF threw sailing school. I love a good dream but making it happen is a nother thing. I want comfort for all 6 of us and the abilitiy to point up wind on a reach when called for is important. Putting out the spinniker cruising down wind is very important to me.
Does this make sence has this happened to you before?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
To much saling up front, need to get my feet wet before all that...
The Cal 20 sailing the SHTP from San Francisco to Hawaii was meant to show what a small sailboat can do when proper skippered.

I was in no way suggesting that a newbie try something like that.........It was in response to that other post about the Cal 20.
Old 14-04-2013, 06:58   #44

Spinnakers look awesome. I can't wait to use mine. It is funny it is just another sail but there is just something cool about them. Maybe it is the colors, mine is red and white, or maybe when they fill and take shape. Whatever the reason is the ate still very cool.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:54   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

They remind me of a hot air balloon. Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a wide-eyed looky-loo, I agree. They do look cool.

I seldom use mine since I usually sail solo, and it is a real hassle for a single-hander to set and douse a spinnakker. It can be done but not worth it unless racing IMHO.

Tags
sailboat