Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 08:49   #1

First keelboat

Need some opinions and I know the best place for those is a forum for better or worse. So far I've found an astounding amount of useful info here!
So..... Here is my position. I'm looking for my first keelboat. I have a $10,000 budget. I have found about 4 very different boats to look at.
First off, I will keep her in Mandeville La. That means sailing in lake ponchartrain and trips along the coast as far away as Destin.
Given that I've found a couple of 82-84 Hunters. God condition for age. I am going to look at a 78 Watkins 27. Engine supposed to be strong but hours unknown and since it's a 10 hp I think, it's underpowered in my opinion. The last is a 89 Compac 27 in fantastic shape. Over my budget but a partial trade may seal that deal.
Last is an 78 Islander 28 in fine shape with a Volvo instead of the usual atomic. This boat has had a stellar maintenance record.
Next part of the puzzle is that the Islanser and the Compac are in the Kemah/Galveston area and I'd need to figure out how to get them home. I'm not comfortable enough to make that trip without much more experienced crew than me. (I'm a dinghy sailer, Coronado 15, and I haven't sailed a keelboat much since I was 16 years old in 85)
The Watkins is already in the lake. The hunters are one in Mobile and one in Texas.
Last question is should I add the Catalina 27 to my list given my intended usage. They seem to be readily available.
I know it's not a lot to go on but some outside opinions may help me see something I hadn't thought of.
Thanks for the help!!!
I can probably link the boat listings if it helps. I'm really looking for the advantages / disadvantages of any of these boats for my waters and usage.
Zeke69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel