Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2012, 19:54   #1

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
First Boat, No Sailing Experience

I have long wanted to sail, and after a life altering injury, I am retired at the age of 26 (from the military)....

I have someone that has an 1978 O'Day 25 that he is getting rid of and I am planning to buy it. The only thing it doesn't have is a stove, as he took that out....but that's an easy fix. It is Tiller obviously, and I would have to add a Chartplotter GPS as that is not included and a roller furling. It has an outboard motor that he had modified for easy deployment and solar panels for keeping batteries charged.

I live in the Chesapeake bay area and I do plan on keeping it on a slip and using it as a getaway (maybe liveaboard for a weekend or so here and there)

I do actually plan on (after modification) taking it down to the florida keys and maybe to the bahamas eventually (and that is after sailing experience of course). My question is, is this a good starter vessel? Will I need to get a dinghy to tow behind it? I know I won't be able to cross the atlantic to bermuda or anything, but the Bahamas would be fine wouldn't it?) Being a military man, I really am used to not have comforts and am perfectly fine with the space.....

Thanks!

Old 25-10-2012, 20:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: First Boat, No Sailing Experience

I think the O'Day would do fine for your plans. You will probably want a dinghy of some sort sooner rather than later. If you can find one that suits you and is small/light enough to carry on the foredeck that would be a plus, but that might be difficult to find. Definitely acquire some lessons to start with if possible.
Have fun.

Old 25-10-2012, 20:12   #3

Boat: 41' Sail

My Dad started with a Cal 25 in SoCal when I was 11. Great boat. Went to all the channel islands. Oday is a good boat as well. You'll have lots of fun! Hook up with some good sailors in your marina and sail with them, then have them sail with you.

Be safe!
Old 25-10-2012, 20:14   #4

retiring at 26 ? Not a good idea, you need purpose. If you are thinking of sailing a small boat down to the Keys you sound very capable of great things. To answer your questions I would need to know how physically capable you are .
A small boat like the Oday 25 is fully capable of heading down to the keys and over to the Bahamas, no problem and no modifications necessary. A chart plotter is very very handy. A VHF with AIS receiver is a great asset as well. A SPOT devise is cheap and lets you keep loved ones informed of your well being and where abouts. Load the decks with fuel and water and go. Make any changes as you move along. A small kayac makes a great dinghy for a single sailor.
Chuck
Old 25-10-2012, 20:17   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Get some lessons. With your military training you understand the importance of procedures and safety. Find a local instructor who may be willing to teach you on "your" boat.

The GPS wont be important whilst on local waters. Neither will the stove, as I would assume you will just day sail a few times first.

The furler is nice to have. Though its not going affect you too much in the short term. Headsails on small boats a quite manageable without a furler.

Tiller is perfect for a 25 footer. Wheels take up too much cockpit room on small boats.

I havent sailed an Oday, but the design looks perfect for a first boat. Yes you will be able to tow a dingy. For the trip to the Bahamas it may be better to have an infatable that you can pack away inside. But thats some time away. But a small FG dingy would be cheap and perfect in the mean time.

Enjoy it :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 20:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
retiring at 26 ? Not a good idea, you need purpose. If you are thinking of sailing a small boat down to the Keys you sound very capable of great things. To answer your questions I would need to know how physically capable you are .
A small boat like the Oday 25 is fully capable of heading down to the keys and over to the Bahamas, no problem and no modifications necessary. A chart plotter is very very handy. A VHF with AIS receiver is a great asset as well. A SPOT devise is cheap and lets you keep loved ones informed of your well being and where abouts. Load the decks with fuel and water and go. Make any changes as you move along. A small kayac makes a great dinghy for a single sailor.
Chuck
I'm not going to retire, I am going to work (they said I couldn't, I'm proving them wrong)....but before then I want to do this....I am currently waiting for my wife to finish her masters (she has 8 months to go) and then we are moving to Louisiana, so waiting to start a new career there.

My injury is not physical limitation, I suffered a traumatic brain injury from a roadside bomb, so I am perfectly capable of physical endurance....it's just social interactions I have trouble with (which is hard to maintain when working with the public)...but I'll manage.....
Old 25-10-2012, 20:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think the ODay would be a very good starter boat. Just big enough to live on board (assuming your personal tolerance for small spaces) but small enough to be easy to handle. Also enough boat to cruise including the Bahamas.

One question though, what is the condition of the boat? Rigging, sails, hull are the big ones but also all the wiring, plumbing, etc. Also, is it a reasonable deal? Problem dealing with a friend is it can be a little more difficult to negotiate if you find problems with the boat.

If it's your first and you have no experience with boats in general you might want to pay a surveyor to check out the boat, or at least find an experienced friend.
Old 25-10-2012, 20:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think the ODay would be a very good starter boat. Just big enough to live on board (assuming your personal tolerance for small spaces) but small enough to be easy to handle. Also enough boat to cruise including the Bahamas.

One question though, what is the condition of the boat? Rigging, sails, hull are the big ones but also all the wiring, plumbing, etc. Also, is it a reasonable deal? Problem dealing with a friend is it can be a little more difficult to negotiate if you find problems with the boat.

If it's your first and you have no experience with boats in general you might want to pay a surveyor to check out the boat, or at least find an experienced friend.

Thanks for the advice, my second cousin is the one that actually got me into the idea of sailing, he currently has a 31 footer, and I plan on taking him along.....It's a pretty good deal I think, $4700.....repainted and everything (including the hull)
Old 25-10-2012, 20:32   #9

as for the inflatable dinghy (thats what my cousin has as well), he uses a 4HP outboard for it.....and has a pully crane (not sure of technical term) that he uses to lower and raise the motor. Is this feasible on a 25 footer?
Old 25-10-2012, 20:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
as for the inflatable dinghy (thats what my cousin has as well), he uses a 4HP outboard for it.....and has a pully crane (not sure of technical term) that he uses to lower and raise the motor. Is this feasible on a 25 footer?
Yes but you can do the same thing using the main sail halyard. If you're upper body strength isn't impaired 4 HP should be light enough to tie a line on and just lift.
Old 25-10-2012, 20:37   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I have long wanted to sail, and after a life altering injury, I am retired at the age of 26 (from the military)....

I have someone that has an 1978 O'Day 25 that he is getting rid of and I am planning to buy it. The only thing it doesn't have is a stove, as he took that out....but that's an easy fix. It is Tiller obviously, and I would have to add a Chartplotter GPS as that is not included and a roller furling. It has an outboard motor that he had modified for easy deployment and solar panels for keeping batteries charged.

I live in the Chesapeake bay area and I do plan on keeping it on a slip and using it as a getaway (maybe liveaboard for a weekend or so here and there)

I do actually plan on (after modification) taking it down to the florida keys and maybe to the bahamas eventually (and that is after sailing experience of course). My question is, is this a good starter vessel? Will I need to get a dinghy to tow behind it? I know I won't be able to cross the atlantic to bermuda or anything, but the Bahamas would be fine wouldn't it?) Being a military man, I really am used to not have comforts and am perfectly fine with the space.....

Thanks!

I suggest you find a skilled sailor to give you lessons on your boat. Then you'll know how everything works from the start. Each boat has its own characteristics.

Does it have an inboard or an outboard motor?
Old 25-10-2012, 20:37   #12

Quote:
Yes but you can do the same thing using the main sail halyard. If you're upper body strength isn't impaired 4 HP should be light enough to tie a line on and just lift.
OK, I don't know why I think 4HP engines weigh a thousand pounds lol, sorry for my ignorance....
Old 25-10-2012, 20:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I suggest you find a skilled sailor to give you lessons on your boat. Then you'll know how everything works from the start. Each boat has its own characteristics.

Does it have an inboard or an outboard motor?
Unfortunately an outboard motor.....which I know is gas and obviously not a lot of gallons if I'd have to motor.....
Old 25-10-2012, 20:39   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

Those are some really good points. I know someone who was given a boat. She knew a little about sailing and they took it out, had fun, brought it back to the dock.

They came down the next day and the mast had fallen down! At least it didn't happen while they were out, but ... yikes.
Old 25-10-2012, 20:44   #15

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
The distance to lift it on a 25 foot boat isnt that high. As others suggest you can use a halyard if you really want. Building Davits to house the tender and OB may be an option- though perhaps over investing.

I will open a can of works here. But go with a 2 stroke OB for the tender. they are lighter- 4 strokes are better in fixed positions. However, you seem like a very fit guy, in the short term you can row of course. And, there is something therapeutic about quietly rowing out to a boat on a still morning. Rowing into 25 knots on the other hand is a bitch lol.

ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: