Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 14:37   #1

First, and possibly my last, boat

Hi,

Longtime lurker and newbie sailor.

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Initially for sailing around Europe but sailing to America would be a helluva achievement so blue water capability is important. Budget is £50,000.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

Thanks!
Carltonboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 14:47   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have a 44’er and a 33’er, 16,000 lbs. The 44 is spacious and the 33 is adequate for 2. We have lived aboard for 6 months and did OK. But we knew it was a trip and would end. For a couple to live aboard a much smaller boat for a long term would be exceptional.

The bigger boat (33) would work better for a crossing as well. Smaller is OK, bigger is better.

But I believe you have an adequate budget, for purchase. For fit out and customization you would need at least half as much again. So say to be optimistic, £35,000 purchase and £15,000 to finish.

My 2¢.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:15   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Or you can pick a different boat and do the cruising thing for maybe $10,000 or much less like these guys did.

There's always a way.

You can spend as little as $4,000 or as much as $300,000 or more and accomplish the same thing.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:23   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Sorry but i feel this is just a crazy thread question

Really people don't ask about boats to do things like for a couple to live aboard, cross oceans, blue water etc etc etc with no experience etc etc etc etc. All you are going get are people to feed your book reading dreams or others that will try to help that you that wouldn't accept.

Speed yourself down the xxxxxx path by at least spending some time using the search feature for the 100s-1000s of similar thread starts. I bet i can write half the responses that will follow on this thread.
Old 15-12-2019, 15:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

I would suggest something a tad larger than 27ft for what you are thinking of doing whether solo or with one other..
Something like a Rival 32 or Nicholson 32.. the extra storage space and tankage is a must in my view, plus the extra knot in average speeds.. so is the headroom.
27ft is fine for a couple of weeks at a time but it gets old quick then its try to find a buyer for it and start boat hunting again.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carlton.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 17:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Sorry but i feel this is just a crazy thread question

Really people don't ask about boats to do things like for a couple to live aboard, cross oceans, blue water etc etc etc with no experience etc etc etc etc. All you are going get are people to feed your book reading dreams or others that will try to help that you that wouldn't accept.

Speed yourself down the xxxxxx path by at least spending some time using the search feature for the 100s-1000s of similar thread starts. I bet i can write half the responses that will follow on this thread.
Sorry I seem to have struck a nerve with you. It's been a 30 year dream to learn to sail, and I've started taking formal courses but that only takes you so far.

I've spent hundreds of hours on here and elsewhere researching and have narrowed it down to those two but thought I'd seek advice before taking the plunge. I'm well aware of my novice status, which is why I'm looking for a seaworthy boat I can live on and gain experience before venturing into blue water.

But, again, I'm sorry my willingness to seek help and admit to my inexperience has caused you do much angst...
Old 15-12-2019, 17:44   #9

Thanks for your suggestions everyone - and for the warm welcome!
Old 15-12-2019, 18:10   #10

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

BCC is a great boat, big for length, but quite expensive.
Additionally, when fitting out you may find yourself limited when looking for fittings that are "appropriate" to her pedigree and style. Think bronze rather than common stainless.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 18:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Some examples.. leaves cash for upgrades like liferaft, solar/wind gen, AIS Transceiver etc..
Nicholsons are long keel encapsulated and the Rivals long fin, also encapsulated in grp.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-32/626065

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-31/625811

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/rival-32/621919

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 18:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
Hi,

Longtime lurker and newbie sailor.

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Initially for sailing around Europe but sailing to America would be a helluva achievement so blue water capability is important. Budget is £50,000.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some examples.. leaves cash for upgrades like liferaft, solar/wind gen, AIS Transceiver etc..
Nicholsons are long keel encapsulated and the Rivals long fin, also encapsulated in grp.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-32/626065

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-31/625811

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/rival-32/621919
Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated!
Old 15-12-2019, 18:16   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
Sorry I seem to have struck a nerve with you.

I've spent hundreds of hours on here and elsewhere researching and have narrowed it down to those two but thought I'd seek advice before taking the plunge. I'm well aware of my novice status, which is why I'm looking for a seaworthy boat I can live on and gain experience before venturing into blue water.

Didn't hit any nerve with me. But if you have spent all that time here and still posted you initial question, well.......... you must have read the answer lots of times already

What you really are asking for is to get a boat 30 tears out of date because you read it in a book from the 80s.

Its ok with me
Old 15-12-2019, 18:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Didn't hit any nerve with me. But if you have spent all that time here and still posted you initial question, well.......... you must have read the answer lots of times already

What you really are asking for is to get a boat 30 tears out of date because you read it in a book from the 80s.

Its ok with me

You must spend hours lurking on here waiting to post snarky comments. Sadly, it seems that even forums for grown-ups like this one attracts insecure, anonymous trolls.

I'll ignore any further replies from you and focus on replying to folk who are willing to help a newbie rather than ridicule them.
Old 15-12-2019, 18:39   #15

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Carlton,
I used the ignore button on him a long time ago. Much more relaxing. I agree with other posters about size and tankage, but i/we are not you. Some people like tiny homes. I like the idea, but know it won't work for me. Any way you could spend time on one before buying?

Tags
boat, grass