Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 09:46   #61
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
This one is probably close to ideal non sailor woman boat, and can fit into OP's budget

SUN ODYSSEY 54 DS

Yes very pleasing to the eye. It is just financial suicide this whole thing. To have an Alden 44 paid for and give it up....I just can't fathom that. I would consider most individuals to be fortunate to be in that situation in ones lifetime once. To abuse that situation is a crime and punishable by bankruptcy.
__________________

__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:55   #62
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Take her to the boat show">Miami boat show. She'll choose a catamaran. My wife certainly did. Problem solved.
The Annapolis Boat show is what made me sell my HC48 for a IP485 in my first marriage and the divorce resulted in the Alden.
__________________

__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Massachussetts
Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Posts: 700
Re: Finding a new lover

My first wife would have spent more time cruising if the boat were bigger, if it had more creature comforts, if it this or that, blah, blah, blah, blah.
The boat was fine, the boat was big enough, the boat had enough creature comforts, it's just an excuse.
My second wife thought the boat was just fine, it me that wanted a bigger boat, then the addition of kids pushed it, even though we kept the original for some time.
See how she does on the current boat before doing anything to dumb.
__________________
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57   #64
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
What a harsh crowd. He asked her for her preferences and she told him. What is wrong with a wish list? She already moved in his direction to monohull pretty easily. Cut her some slack. The OP was the one that said he could stretch budget to 500K. I don't recall reading that she demanded it.
Thanks for reading into my post.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01   #65
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 70
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Good enough for you?

Doesn't really matter what I think, does it.
__________________
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:15   #66
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Yes very pleasing to the eye. It is just financial suicide this whole thing. To have an Alden 44 paid for and give it up....I just can't fathom that. I would consider most individuals to be fortunate to be in that situation in ones lifetime once. To abuse that situation is a crime and punishable by bankruptcy.
While I can't disagree with you from a financial perspective of owning a boat free and clear vs having a mortgage on one. I have stated I would not purchase a vessel I could not pay off in 5 years.

I have played this scenario out once in my life with a 675k IP485 although I sold in after having her for several years.

On a 500k boat I would not be gaining a monthly payment just losing the extra income I draw on my property. My apartment is a updated two full bedrooms next to NYU. Which is also "almost" owned free and clear after recently refinancing. If you know the rental market in that area you'll know I don't have to worry about a lack of renters or the apartments ability to support a 450k mortgage. I rent the place for around $5,200 per month.

Even if the market tanks again I'd still be fine in this location. I only lost $500 a month during the last big recession.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:33   #67
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
While I can't disagree with you from a financial perspective of owning a boat free and clear vs having a mortgage on one. I have stated I would not purchase a vessel I could not pay off in 5 years.

I have played this scenario out once in my life with a 675k IP485 although I sold in after having her for several years.

On a 500k boat I would not be gaining a monthly payment just losing the extra income I draw on my property. My apartment is a updated two full bedrooms next to NYU. Which is also "almost" owned free and clear after recently refinancing. If you know the rental market in that area you'll know I don't have to worry about a lack of renters or the apartments ability to support a 450k mortgage. I rent the place for around $5,200 per month.

Even if the market tanks again I'd still be fine in this location. I only lost $500 a month during the last big recession.

Just think you could cut loose right now with virtually no debt, cruise full time on that palace you already own, have $5000 a month forever, visit different ports all the time, meet new mermaids who would think you lead the most beautiful life and would be fortunate to be in your company and may even know how to clean a fish or dive for lobster.
__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38   #68
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

That my friend is having wealth.
__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:52   #69
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Just think you could cut loose right now with virtually no debt, cruise full time on that palace you already own, have $5000 a month forever, visit different ports all the time, meet new mermaids who would think you lead the most beautiful life and would be fortunate to be in your company and may even know how to clean a fish or dive for lobster.
I have been using that income which at the end of the day after taxes, mortgage and maintenance is more like 2500 not 5200 a month to fund my eventual retirement. Since I'm a marine contractor I don't have a matching 401k. I have a little over a decade left in my diving career baring any serious injuries or health issues and then I can go the next few decades as a dive superintendent.

Since I work on a rotation I've been using my income to cruise in between them.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55   #70
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,219
Images: 2
pirate Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Just think you could cut loose right now with virtually no debt, cruise full time on that palace you already own, have $5000 a month forever, visit different ports all the time, meet new mermaids who would think you lead the most beautiful life and would be fortunate to be in your company and may even know how to clean a fish or dive for lobster.
Either dog ugly and desperate.. or criminally insane to give the above up for a woman.. or a guy..
Move your cruising grounds to Thailand..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:05   #71
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,815
Re: Finding a new lover

Good lord, the Albin 44 is a HUGH boat. Me thinks the lady doth complains too much. You have the money and the boat. There are TONS of women out there, Must be a few that would think the Albin was a sweet boat.

Wait till she has to sand the bottom of it is all I can say. But my guess is that's not going to happen either. You sir do not need a bigger boat.....
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08   #72
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Boat: Alden 44
Posts: 202
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Either dog ugly and desperate.. or criminally insane to give the above up for a woman.. or a guy..
Move your cruising grounds to Thailand..
I still get at least 5 months a year to cruise which I know is a awesome privilege compared to my normal working stiff friends. If I quit my job and just go cruising at my age and the stage in life I'm at... which I did once for about a year from age 29 - 30 I'll end up a maintenance drinker on the hook somewhere in the islands. At least that's what happened last time. I don't remember doing as much sailing as I did becoming a local watering hole regular.

I like having a job. It keeps me honest. And sane.
__________________
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:10   #73
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Either dog ugly and desperate.. or criminally insane to give the above up for a woman.. or a guy..
Move your cruising grounds to Thailand..

Maybe permanent narcosis.
__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13   #74
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I don't remember doing as much sailing as I did becoming a local watering hole.
I bet it was fun though. If not you didn't do it right.
__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:16   #75
Registered User
 
Sailing Cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Home Port: West Palm Beach, Live: Seattle
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Posts: 315
Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I still get at least 5 months a year to cruise which I know is a awesome privilege compared to my normal working stiff friends. If I quit my job and just go cruising at my age and the stage in life I'm at... which I did once for about a year from age 29 - 30 I'll end up a maintenance drinker on the hook somewhere in the islands. At least that's what happened last time. I don't remember doing as much sailing as I did becoming a local watering hole regular.

I like having a job. It keeps me honest. And sane.

Sounds like you have a pretty good set up and a good plan. You are one of the fortunate ones.
__________________

__________________
IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail & Power Instructor
ICC Certificate of Competency Instructor
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble Finding Fittings for Racor 500FG wunderluster Engines and Propulsion Systems 7 30-10-2011 01:25
Tired of Not Finding Places to Provision a Boat, I Finally Did Something About it Windwardguide Commercial Posts 9 03-08-2011 18:11
finding hard to get parts leisure17 Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 28-06-2011 12:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.