Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 06:47   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Re: Finding a new lover

I am glad she has decided against motor boats. You just need to remove that pole down below. It's useless anyways. Maybe build a deck off the aft section for tanning. But those white bed sheets you hoist and play with all the time might block the sun from tanning time and what's with all those dam ropes lying around. It's dangerous and you could trip. Get rid of those. Sure would be nice to do more than 7knts. Can we add a bigger engine. Maybe two. If you didn't have that dam metal pole sticking up in the air I could tan there. Can you remove it.

So glad she decided against a motor boat though.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:51   #47

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Personally, I'd have asked all who input into this thread to give some sort of 'relationship qualifications' before listening to a word they have to say.

Married once to a woman who is as good a sailor as I am (for what that's worth) and who is prepping with me to start passagemaking in the next couple of years with our teenaged son. We've done separate oceanic deliveries. She agreed to mortgage a freshly paid-off house to buy the boat. She got a teaching degree to facilitate "boat schooling" and I'm about to go down to the boat in the middle of winter to do some engine work (brrr!). She asked if I needed her to join me on the ice-coated decks.

Good enough for you?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
So she has issues with a mast in the middle of the boat, how to get the best tan, and where to go when she needs her space...?
Yes, She has.
And it is quite normal.
For all what we know, She is not a sailor, She just want to follow the way of life of Her man and just did not want to do it without feeling herself happy. Is it something strange about it?

Alden 44 is beautiful boat - O.K.
But I can not see how Alden 44 can appeal to the non sailor woman as a place to live.

For her it is for sure "living in a cave", as multihull enthusiast like to describe it.

satdiver, just have a look at the following boats (examples only)

SENSE 43

SENSE 50

OCEANIS 45

SUN ODYSSEY 44DS

NORDSHIP 430DS

NAJAD 440CC

NAJAD 460

CONTEST 45CS

TAYANA 44

I'm quite sure - between them She will find one to suit Her well. She will probably wish for something a little bigger only.

But they all are quite different from gorgeous Alden 44.

Give it a try, sit with Her at the computer and scroll through these links.

Cheers

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, by the way, my own feeling is that to make NON sailor woman really happy with a boat as a floating home, You really need 50+ ft size for after cockpit boat and may be 48+ ft size for center cockpit boat. But this is only my own opinion.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:35   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Yes, She has.
And it is quite normal.
For all what we know, She is not a sailor, She just want to follow the way of life of Her man and just did not want to do it without feeling herself happy. Is it something strange about it?

Alden 44 is beautiful boat - O.K.
But I can not see how Alden 44 can appeal to the non sailor woman as a place to live.

For her it is for sure "living in a cave", as multihull enthusiast like to describe it.

satdiver, just have a look at the following boats (examples only)

SENSE 43

SENSE 50

OCEANIS 45

SUN ODYSSEY 44DS

NORDSHIP 430DS

NAJAD 440CC

NAJAD 460

CONTEST 45CS

TAYANA 44

I'm quite sure - between them She will find one to suit Her well. She will probably wish for something a little bigger only.

But they all are quite different from gorgeous Alden 44.

Give it a try, sit with Her at the computer and scroll through these links.

Cheers

Tomasz
My vote is NORDSHIP 430DS NAJAD 440CC NAJAD 460 and I would add Hallberg-Rassy - Yachts - Center Cockpit Boats

I would lump all these in with the Alden 44. jmo.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44   #51

Take her to the Miami boat show. She'll choose a catamaran. My wife certainly did. Problem solved.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:13   #52

Boat: Catalina 36

Just as a point of reference: The man I'm dating lives on a boat. It never occurred to me to suggest he get something different because 1) it's his home. and 2) I'm not willing to pony up half the expense of a different boat.

Yes, it'll be tight when I move in next year, and yes there are things about it that aren't perfect, but his happiness is just as important as mine, and right now he's happy.

Five years from now, after we've fully discussed all the pros and cons of the living situation, then we'll talk about whether or not we should get a different boat. WE, not ME.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15   #53

What a harsh crowd. He asked her for her preferences and she told him. What is wrong with a wish list? She already moved in his direction to monohull pretty easily. Cut her some slack. The OP was the one that said he could stretch budget to 500K. I don't recall reading that she demanded it.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:17   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Take her to the Miami boat show. She'll choose a catamaran. My wife certainly did. Problem solved.
Many women do not want a cat for long time cruising/living on.
Sleeping accomodations in hulls are what You really can call a cave
Remember, that more women than men are prone to the claustrophoby to some extent and small cabins are real problem for them.
Not long ago I discussed the cats with my wife and she found the sleeping cabins acceptable for her on the cats of 52+ ft and rather of "condomaran" variety
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18   #55

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Finding a new lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Just as a point of reference: The man I'm dating lives on a boat. It never occurred to me to suggest he get something different because 1) it's his home. and 2) I'm not willing to pony up half the expense of a different boat.

Yes, it'll be tight when I move in next year, and yes there are things about it that aren't perfect, but his happiness is just as important as mine, and right now he's happy.

Five years from now, after we've fully discussed all the pros and cons of the living situation, then we'll talk about whether or not we should get a different boat. WE, not ME.
Well, thank you for your fine post. jostali's had me speechless! And that's saying something.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
On many boat shows I noticed that HR's appeal much more to men than to women. It is not strange to me. Anyway they are nice boats really

My bet is, She will most happily go with something like big Sense, or big Sun Odyssey. I'm just guessing of course
Old 12-02-2014, 08:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
On many boat shows I noticed that HR's appeal much more to men than to women. It is not strange to me. Anyway they are nice boats really

My bet is, She will most happily go with something like big Sense, or big Sun Odyssey. I'm just guessing of course

You are probably correct.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:31   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
What a harsh crowd. He asked her for her preferences and she told him. What is wrong with a wish list? She already moved in his direction to monohull pretty easily. Cut her some slack. The OP was the one that said he could stretch budget to 500K. I don't recall reading that she demanded it.
He said that after he mentioned a budget up to 500K his email box was filled with 500K boat ideas from her, and that to fund the 500K depreciating asset he is mortgaging an appreciating asset (his apartment.) Of all the worrisome attitudes and statements he has offered, this one is the scariest.

Many of us have seen where this scenario ends up. The OP already knows the right answer, he just doesn't like it because he is afraid of being alone.

Time for eHarmony, Match.com, Fitness Singles or Katsuni videos...
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
You are probably correct.
This one is probably close to ideal non sailor woman boat, and can fit into OP's budget

SUN ODYSSEY 54 DS
Old 12-02-2014, 08:39   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
He said that after he mentioned a budget up to 500K his email box was filled with 500K boat ideas from her, and that to fund the 500K depreciating asset he is mortgaging an appreciating asset (his apartment.) Of all the worrisome attitudes and statements he has offered, this one is the scariest.

Many of us have seen where this scenario ends up. The OP already knows the right answer, he just doesn't like it because he is afraid of being alone.

Time for eHarmony, Match.com, Fitness Singles or Katsuni videos...

Very well said.