Re: Finding a new lover

Reality Check...

1983 Alden Aft Cockpit 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 11-02-2014, 22:15   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Okay how do I start here. Budget depends on the boat. I have a boat worth around 250k give or take on the market since she is early 90's built in ME. She is more expensive to maintain than a 500k newer boat because she is a high stress high end performance sailboat. I spent less on my old Hans Christian and IP485 which cost substantially more than my Alden and I sailed them about them same.

I'm not rushing I've been with this girl for several years and now we are talking about moving in together. She has never lived on a boat.

As for debt killing all freedoms.? It has done nothing but exemplify my freedom. I hope I die millions in debt with millions paying off that debt. In truth I keep up with my debt relativity well so I don't have to worry about it. I won't buy anything I can't afford to pay off in 5 years.
Wifey B:

Lots of people keep up with their debt relatively well....until they don't.....things can change so quickly.

But that said, I'm out. You're asking questions but not listening to even yourself. Been with her several years, talking about moving in together....still no mention of love.

Enjoy and I wish you the best. More I wish her the best.

Dear Abby signing off.

Old 11-02-2014, 22:19   #18
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
I don't mean any disrespect so please don't take it that way. This story just hits way to close to home and reminds me of some past relationships and possibly a current one. My radar is fined tuned to these red flags and it just makes me shudder when I read this. Doesn't help that the Alden 44 is my dream blue water boat. Man oh man.
I got that and I can see after re reading my post how one could think what you are thinking. I'm not a wealthy man. I had a previous marriage with a lady that was all about the big expensive boat. That is not the issue here.
Old 11-02-2014, 22:23   #19

Boat: Sabre 36

Alden 44 is the prettiest girl at the dance. Couldn't imagine parting with one in this manner. Tons of stories out there of those trying to please a partner by upsizing, downsizing, going to the dark side, cats, etc. Never works out in the end. I have a non-sailing spouse and know this well.
Old 11-02-2014, 22:26   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Mine was built in 92 not 83 here is a 1990 Alden 44 Bermudian sloop listed for 309k

1990 Alden Cutter Bermudian Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 11-02-2014, 22:32   #21

You gotta know when to walk away, and when to run...

Seems to me its time to move on and find a different lady.
Old 11-02-2014, 22:43   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Wow....over 200k price spread. Either helluva deal on the 83 or way overpriced on the 90.
Old 11-02-2014, 22:45   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Satdiver...as one Southerner to another...."you aint a hearin us".....me, Boatman and Cowboy all agree......Keep the Boat...shift colours and git underway quick....
I'm a Eastern North Carolina Southerner not a Bayou Southerner. We can take a little more abuse out in those parts without resorting to domestic violence. I'm not gonna stop cruising. I'm just tired of sailing alone or with my can crushing co-workers. I need some perspective in my life now or I'm going to end up starting a youtube channel on how to use a sextant.
Old 11-02-2014, 22:58   #24

Boat: Current wishlist: Boreal 44, Hylas 46, or Passport 470

Have a look at used hylas 46 or passport 47 cc. My wife liked the passport that we chartered in Maine. It convinced her to be willing to cruise with me at least Maine to Bahamas in the future. The passport has an area at the stern that would fit her tanning nicely. I think there is a 2004 on yachtworld asking 495k right now. The boat we chartered is also for sale but they want 595k. They are very proud of it. I think it will be on the market a while. Also a 1997 out there for 340k. Several hylas out there in that range as well.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-02-2014, 23:02   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Wow....over 200k price spread. Either helluva deal on the 83 or way overpriced on the 90.
Different boats. No need to go into the Alden history. Plenty of online resources to read. I'd say the 90 Bermudian Sloop at 309 is over priced but I've not read into how the owners managed her nor know the current owners. I'm a 92 Bermudian sloop and I value my girl at 250 based on her pedigree and experience. I was offered more than 300 for her 2 years ago from a credible buyer.

What will make some people sick is I paid less than 90k for her after the decks were redone and a year after she was repowered because a friend was the bankruptcy attorney for the owner and knew I was looking for a new boat. 5 years ago.

Her survey value was over 250k and I've since replaced her standing and running rigging, upgraded all heads, electronics and added a replacement sail inventory the past 2 years.

I'd say I've put 200k in her and I'm willing to lose 50. That is the nature of the beast.
Old 11-02-2014, 23:11   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
Have a look at used hylas 46 or passport 47 cc. My wife liked the passport that we chartered in Maine. It convinced her to be willing to cruise with me at least Maine to Bahamas in the future. The passport has an area at the stern that would fit her tanning nicely. I think there is a 2004 on yachtworld asking 495k right now. The boat we chartered is also for sale but they want 595k. They are very proud of it. I think it will be on the market a while. Also a 1997 out there for 340k. Several hylas out there in that range as well.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I like the Hylas and the Passport. What sort weather did you sail the Passport in and how did she sail? I've had several people recommend the Hylas but they are not ascetically pleasing to me. I sailed a Hylas 54 with a couple which was a lot of fun but way out of my budget.
Old 11-02-2014, 23:22   #27

I think the hylas 46 looks better than the 49. The transom on the 49 looks stretched for my taste.

Unfortunately, the wind was not that great. We are new to sailing so we had captained charter. The layout was very comfortable and to my wife's liking though. I liked the looks of the boat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-02-2014, 23:26   #28
cruiser

Boat: Cheoy Lee 66 M/Y & Cambria 44 S/V - Captain Lurssen 145

Why don't you take your wife on a cruise and then ask her what she wants before having her up root and move aboard.?
Old 11-02-2014, 23:26   #29

Boat we chartered.

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats.../United-States

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-02-2014, 23:43   #30
cruiser

Boat: Cheoy Lee 66 M/Y & Cambria 44 S/V - Captain Lurssen 145

Neither a Hylas or a Passport will compare to the Alden 44's sailing capabilities. Both of those boats would be like finishing a filet mignon with chuck beef.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: