Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 19:07   #1

Fiberglass Hull with Wood Deck?

Cosmetically I love wood on the deck, and as much wood in the cabin as possible, but I don't want the hassle associated with a wooden hull. What boats are out there with wood on the deck but a non-wood hull?
PreppieNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 19:12   #2

I would really be interested in this as well!
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 19:21   #3

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
Take a look at the Cape George Cutters. They specialize in wood boats built in a fiberglass hull (Thick hull I might add)

Cape George Cutters § Port Townsend § Blue Water Boats § Cruising Custom Boat Building

For the construction brochure, look here:

http://www.capegeorgecutters.com/CGCbrochure3.pdf
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 19:33   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Our Far East Mariner 40 has wood (3/4" plywood) decks. The boat was built in 1972 and has a fiberglass hull, very robust. She weighs around 28,000 lbs. Originally I believe she had teak decks. They have long been romoved and we now have just the wood deck. I have made a couple of small repairs and put cloth/epoxy over the new plywood. The cabin is all wood, mahagony and teak with solid teak flooring. We also have a considerable amount of wood topsides ie. Sitka spars, teak traveler, teak taff rails, hatches, bow sprit.... It is a lot of work but we love the look and feel of the wood. It is great down below, love the feeling of wood. I hope this is the type of info you were looking for.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 21:43   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
The early Cal's were all fiberglass on the outside and mucho wood on the inside. My ideal combination!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 22:17   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Realistically and wood outside, especially horizontal surfaces like a deck is going to end up a maintenance issue. Not like a boat is not one already!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:05   #7

Some of the Alden Caravelles are like this, as are some Lyman-Morse Seguin 44's.

Hope you like varnishing.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25   #8

Boat: pilot cutter
Varnishing is just a top coat, and a not very water impervious one to boot. What really protects the wood is penetrating oils and oil/sealer finishes such as tung oil. That is what protects the wood against water intrusion, not 'varnish'. THEN if you want you can put varnish over all that for an outer coating of extra protection. Or not and make it easier to maintain the wood by simply wiping on new tung oil coats when needed. Too many people make the mistake of thinking that just varnish is the solution. It isn't. It is easily chipped or otherwise breached, and the wood below sucks up moisture like a sponge if there is no oil protecting the wood underneath.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30   #9
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Realistically and wood outside, especially horizontal surfaces like a deck is going to end up a maintenance issue. Not like a boat is not one already!
After dealing with a wood deck and mucho brightwork, you probably wouldn't notice if the hull itself was wood.

Wood hull, glassed ply decks- trust me.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:21   #10

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I've seen a Shaw 24 and a Fuji 35 that had wood decks. There are also boats like the Formosa/CT boats that have teak over a fiberglass deck.

After watching my friends patch, chase leaks, replace rot, watch a fiberglass core dissolve with a thousand holes to a leaky teak deck overhead I would think that the additional work of a wood hull would seem minimal.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34   #11

Come to think of it, I believe that the original Cherubini 44's were built with glass hulls, wood decks and cabin houses. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Many of the Vindo's were glass with a mahogany deck and cabin house.

For myself, having dealt with rot in the deck, cabin house, and especially the cockpit of our family's old wooden boat, there's no way I'd consider going back. There are plenty of glass boats with glass decks that still have enough wood to look classy.

This summer I saw an Alden 54 that had just come from a major refit where the cabin trunk and cockpit were sheathed with varnished teak. I don't believe there was any exposed fiberglass on deck. Looked to me like a gorgeous maintenance nightmare.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:42   #12
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Sooooo timely:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...29&postcount=1
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27   #13

Boat: Cascade
looking for wood construction or only wood deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd View Post
Cosmetically I love wood on the deck, and as much wood in the cabin as possible, but I don't want the hassle associated with a wooden hull. What boats are out there with wood on the deck but a non-wood hull?
Did you mean you want a wood (teak) deck or the whole cabin and deck as wood construction. These are two different things.

Either way you’re looking at a lot of maintenance. If your looking for teak on the deck read this.

How to Lay a Traditional Teak Deck

I love wood in the cabin and it looks great on boats but its way too much work when you want to go sailing. You sand oil and watch it fade. You sand oil and watch it fade. You sand oil and watch it fade.......

Tags
fiberglass