Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 16:27   #1

Fewer used BW cruising boats on the west coast?

As I do more research on my first cruising boat, it seems there are fewer used blue waters cruising boats on the West Coast (And I'm aware there's not 100% agreement as to what constitutes a BW boat). But it looks like there are lots of the CataBeneHunter variety of boats available but not many of the Caliber, Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, Valiant, variety. And I'm not suggesting there are none of these boats, just fewer available. Which means if I buy an east coast boat I've got to add $10K - $20K to have it trucked out here. Does that jibe with others experience? Or am I looking in the wrong places? Are there BW boats that might be more plentiful out here in the west? TIA
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Fewer used BW cruising boats on the west coast?

You might try BC, Canada. I had good luck with Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.
The exchange rate is favorable and while I don't sail anymore I see a lot goes on between Puget Sound and the inland passage.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 17:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
As I do more research on my first cruising boat, it seems there are fewer used blue waters cruising boats on the West Coast (And I'm aware there's not 100% agreement as to what constitutes a BW boat). But it looks like there are lots of the CataBeneHunter variety of boats available but not many of the Caliber, Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, Valiant, variety. And I'm not suggesting there are none of these boats, just fewer available. Which means if I buy an east coast boat I've got to add $10K - $20K to have it trucked out here. Does that jibe with others experience? Or am I looking in the wrong places? Are there BW boats that might be more plentiful out here in the west? TIA
Lots of them in Mexico and cheap too..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 17:08   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I was following the boat market intensely for two years ending when we bought our current boat in early 2014. What I noticed on the west coast is the listings dropped off from about Nov-Feb, then picked up again.

I had the best success setting my search criteria in Yachtworld. (Their iPad app at that time was superior to their web site...)

I was narrowly focused on Nauticat 40 and 43's (S&S designs) and inspected boat on both coasts until I finally settled on ours in Seattle.

It took 2 full years... Patience is the lesson learned...

Cheers!

Bill

SV Denali Rose
Old 27-01-2016, 17:27   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
...if I buy an east coast boat I've got to add $10K - $20K to have it trucked out here...
If you are a lazy shopper, it will cost you. Perseverance furthers.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 17:40   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jimp,

Look at is that if you have to pay the shipping, you can afford to offer more for a better specimen on the West Coast. There are all kinds of decent cruising boats capable of world travel that aren't in the familiar-to-Americans name brands. Even some French and other European ones. Almost any boat you buy you will modify somewhat to suit your own needs, even one which has circumnavigated.

Ann
Old 27-01-2016, 17:56   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Perhaps this perceived difference is due to Bill Lee having a bigger impact on the buying habits of westcoasters than, say, Laurent Giles or Atkins or other traditional boat designers. Folks on the west coast may have discovered that one can successfully cruise in more modern designs.

Note that I am not choosing sides here, but pointing out reasons that might explain the observation.

Jim
Old 27-01-2016, 18:30   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

Also an observation (without taking sides)

The older designs: Valiants, Babas, etc... are all getting quite old. So there just may be less of them anyway. (Amazing how many of those boats are Bob Perry designs)

Here in socal, unless one is planning on going off across the Pacific, A Huntabenalina is likely a _better_ boat for the conditions. Light air and usually smooth seas. I can imagine the misery of getting a V40 to Catalina Island in 10kt winds. Well, I imagine I'd turn on the motor. Where a Huntabenalina is an excellent choice for that trip.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:15   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The definition of blue water cruising boat has changed radically in the past thirty years. Heavy displacements are out of favor. I still would like a Westsail 43. I loved my Westsail 32, and it was an awesome blue water boat by my standards. I ended up with a much lighter displacement catamaran for my circumnavigation, and it did a good job for us.

Most of my water sailing">blue water sailing was in the low latitudes in the trade winds, and light displacement worked well for me. If I was going to be a high latitude sailor, I would increase my displacement significantly in my personal definition of what blue water means to me.

It's a personal thing.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:16   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

There is a 1990 Pacific Seacraft 34 just listed in the Pacific Seacraft forum over on sail dot net. It is in the Sea of Cortez.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 23:30   #11

I was once at an auction of Swan 47 where one of the bidders was a Greek skipper living in the Caribbean. He was scoffing at the bids' progression muttering that in Caribbean he could have gotten such a boat for a fraction of the eventual highest bid. He explained that on the islands there are plenty of blue water boats (many not in a Bristol shape to be sure) for a fraction of their worth due to owners cruising or circumnavigation dreams going awry for a bunch of reasons. Same goes for Hawaii.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 23:47   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^

Such stories have been around a long time. Many times there are hitches, like the boat's been abandoned for a year or two, and lots has deteriorated. I would say it takes someone knowledgeable to take advantage of such opportunities, not newbies. The newbies would have a costly learning experience, to put it kindly.

a.
Old 28-01-2016, 00:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^

Such stories have been around a long time. Many times there are hitches, like the boat's been abandoned for a year or two, and lots has deteriorated. I would say it takes someone knowledgeable to take advantage of such opportunities, not newbies. The newbies would have a costly learning experience, to put it kindly.

a.
True that. But if the OP is limited to a particular model there may be no other choice unless he can wait years for that "perfect one". And even then there are no guarantees.

That's why in all of my boat searches although I had a rough idea what kind of a boat I wanted, or rather what kind of a boat I did not want for sure, I was open to many makes and possibilities. And sure enough opportunities always presented themselves. As a result never had to travel more than 100mi for a look and most were within 1hr drive from me. Living in the middle of the active sailing area helps a lot I guess.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 08:39   #14

Perhaps the general definition of a " Bluewater Boat "" has evolved with the advancements in materials and yacht design.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 08:42   #15

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Just by sheer numbers, I think there are more boats of all types, within 50 miles of Miami than on the entire west coast. But we found our Florida-built Morgan heavy displacement (read, lots of carrying capacity) in Southern Cal.
I agree that if you have time you should look at Mexico, Panama, etc. It may pay to investigate if there is still an advantageous tax situation if you buy and keep the boat out of US for 6 months.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, west coast