Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 17:08   #601

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
Hi there. I agree with everything Jeff has said. Plus over time the reinforcement rusts away and you hit the dock a little hard one day and tinkle tinkle the hull falls apart.
I would not place a 2 cent bet on your views of FC boats Old Salt. So I say Old Salt is way-off the mark...He may be right, IF, you'r still sailing the FC yacht in 60 to 100 years from now and carry out NO hull mainetnance in that time A properly built FC boat, properly looked after, will last a heck of a long time...It will outlast you, me and Old Salt too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
Would recommend you find an early GRP boat which can be virtually indesructable and built to standards that even today give you a great boat. Look at early Pearsons, Formosas, Tyler hulls (UK) etc.

Go for your dream

Roger
Testing, Testing, Testing...Place Old Salt's GRP boat and your FC boat side by side on the hard, then take a bloody big hammer and see how long it takes you to smash a hole in the hull of Old Salt's GRP boat. Once you have holed the hull of the GRP boat, stop! (You may need to swing that hammer two or three times on the GRP hull) Then start thumping at the FC hull with the same hammer and see IF you can put a hole in the FC hull. (Most people need to use a jack hammer to hole FC hulls but in using a big hammer, you'll be simulating a hull smashing down on a reef) Let us know which hull you found easier to smash a hole in with that bloody big hammer
Old 01-11-2011, 17:44   #602

I forgot to mention, to repair the hole, if any, in your FC hull, buy a bag of cement and a couple of bags of sand from the local builder or hardware shop, mix the mud and you can start repairs. I'm not sure what Old Salt will need to repair the hole in his GRP hull, I also don't know if the repair kit for the GRP hull can be purchased from a local supply/shop anywhere in the world...The same as sand and cement can be bought...He may have to import the GRP repair gear from the big city or another country
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32   #603

Wow, it took a bit of time but this thread was worth every minute I spent reading it! I have been thoroughly convinced; to suit my needs FC will do the deed. I plan on living aboard in Hawaii for three years and then setting sail to where ever the wind takes me for as long as it takes to run broke.

-Cliche`
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14   #604

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

fyi, my slip neighbor is thinking of selling his 50' FC boat, built in Sacramento by a professional yard in the 70's, hull #100. Instead of rebar, anti-submarine netting was used, which is much stronger. She ain't a beauty, to my eye, but he says all systems work. He and his wife raised 5 girls aboard, all of whom are now married and off. His wife has some auto-immune disease and they want to move back north so she can be close to her daughters. He hasn't advertized her yet, but may soon. I would guess $40-50k would be enough to pick up this huge liveaboard, I don't know. I have no idea how she sails, but the owner is willing to spend time going over all systems with new owner. PM me if you wish to make contact with him.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03   #605

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
...I plan on living aboard in Hawaii for three years and then setting sail to where ever the wind takes me ... -Cliche`

Cliche -- If you're in Hawaii now, you might want to go have a look at this 52-foot ferrocement schooner just for fun:

1976 Ferro Cement Staysail Schooner new used boats for sale dealers reviews boat classifieds

I've spent several very pleasant hours daydreaming about her. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:09   #606

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsabardin View Post
7 years later, I just wanted to post on this historic thread. ;-)
I'm actually gonna look at a FC 43 in 10 days. Looks like a nice boat 90% restored. I'll keep you guys posted.
I guess if you don't pay more than you're willing to loose with a F/C boat, you'll do ok.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:19   #607
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nsabardin, and Cliche.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
I forgot to mention, to repair the hole, if any, in your FC hull, buy a bag of cement and a couple of bags of sand from the local builder or hardware shop, mix the mud and you can start repairs. I'm not sure what Old Salt will need to repair the hole in his GRP hull, I also don't know if the repair kit for the GRP hull can be purchased from a local supply/shop anywhere in the world...The same as sand and cement can be bought...He may have to import the GRP repair gear from the big city or another country
I would not want a ferro that has been repaired like this Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 14:01   #609

Quote:
You're kidding right? They professionals I saw repair Ferro used an epoxy enriched modified cement. Do you really think any cruiser with a Fiberglass boat doesn't have an extensive repair kit? I have a 5 gallon plastic storage case with assorted cloth and sealed, full pint(s) of resin that will keep for a few years at least. If I have a repair that requires more than that, I have bigger problems. Plus, any auto parts store or hardware store has fiberglass repair kits...it's 2 Isles over from the sidewalk cement...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-11-2011, 19:07   #610

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

This is great!! Every boat owner is convinced his boat is the best afloat. Doesn't matter the material, it's not hard to find someone who will defend it to the death as "the best!" It's all good though, right? Buying the right boat is like buying the right anchor, it's all about personal preference. The sea is a cruel master and will find the weakness in any boat or design. Such is the nature of the sea. I think many of the points raised here are valid, both the good and the bad. Some are nonsensical, made I think by armchair sailors with little or no experience on the real ocean, but that's ok too. Everyone needs to look at all aspects and make their own decisions. It's a fools errand to head to sea on a boat solely because someone else told you she was a good one.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 11-11-2011, 14:25   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant

Cliche -- If you're in Hawaii now, you might want to go have a look at this 52-foot ferrocement schooner just for fun:

1976 Ferro Cement Staysail Schooner new used boats for sale dealers reviews boat classifieds

I've spent several very pleasant hours daydreaming about her. . . .
I'm not in hawaii yet I'm going to visit in december and permanently in january of 2013
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:54   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You're kidding right? They professionals I saw repair Ferro used an epoxy enriched modified cement. Do you really think any cruiser with a Fiberglass boat doesn't have an extensive repair kit? I have a 5 gallon plastic storage case with assorted cloth and sealed, full pint(s) of resin that will keep for a few years at least. If I have a repair that requires more than that, I have bigger problems. Plus, any auto parts store or hardware store has fiberglass repair kits...it's 2 Isles over from the sidewalk cement...
Thanks for that Celestialsailor but as we don't have a WallMart or Auto parts store on every corner, in every port, outside the good old US of A, I'll go with a FC boat and the advice given by Mr Colin Brookes on repairing FC boats.
Quote:
(Colin Brookes from...Hartley & Brookes boat plans is the oldest business of it's kind. Since the first plans were sold for home construction in 1938, it is estimated that in excess of 95,000 Hartley Boats have been built. Apart from 'class dinghys', there are probably more Hartley Boats throughout the world than any other designer. And probably more Hartley ferro-cement boats than all other ferroboat designers added together.)
End Quote:
In his book, 'Ferro-cement Boats' by Colin Brookes, he gives the full repair details for repairing damage in/on a FC boat and the repair kit consists of clean water, cement, clean washed sand and some PVA (Wood Glue) for use as the bonding agent.
I also talked of repairing FV boats with Mr Wilf Okell, he's now in his 80's but he's one of the top, if not THE top, Australian trail blazers in designing and building FC boats, and he agrees with the advice given by Colin Brookes. i.e. With FC boats, the best way to go is to follow the KISS system. (KISS = Keep it simple stupid)
Having searched for glass repair kits in the past, in Africa, India and the Med (Greece and Turkey) I had a few small repair jobs to do, nothing major and that was good as I never did find the FG repair kit in any of those ports, (The yacht owners did not believe in carrying a FG kit) Things "may" have changed over the years but I doubt it, I found things in Greece and Turkey were/are slow to change.
Anyway, we are all free to go for/with whatever material we chose for our boat, it's simply the fact that a strong, well built, easy repairable boat appeals to me, so I'm all for a good FC boat.

P.S. I'm a retired seaman but have never sailed, all the vessels I served on had a 14,000HP + engine, so I tend to take the advice freely given by people who know, such as the local sailors who built their own boats back in the 60's and sailed their boats around the world and arrived back in Oz safely and...They still own the boats they built, both FC and Timber.
Old 12-11-2011, 20:11   #613

Quote:
Thanks for that Celestialsailor but as we don't have a WallMart or Auto parts store on every corner, in every port, outside the good old US of A, ...and bla bla bla
Well good on ya mate. Hope that FC works for ya. I'm amazed the industry went to fiberglass being that FC is so user friendly and strong. I would imagine I could get countless "top" experts on fiber-glass to blow wing up your skirt but I will just be content carrying my little 5 gallon storage box of repair items with me. Who knows?...now that I'm privy to all those cruisers not carrying any repair items, I can make a killing while cruising
Old 12-11-2011, 20:20   #614

This to my way of thinking IS a well built Ferro Cement Yacht and she's "backyard" built but I think it's well worth your time to visit this site
Old 12-11-2011, 20:35   #615

Below you can see a video of Pasalimani- Marina Zeas (the Athens yacht harbor) It was my stumping grounds for a few years way back when, and if things havn't changed, you could well find a number of jobs for that FC repair kit you have

Tags
ferro