Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34   #961

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

hello friends,

I am in Italy now and have more time to start thinking again about my next steps in spring when I start working again on Ozma.

One of the works on the list will be painting the deck. I started already to strip some of the paint off with a torch and a scraper. Consumes some time but every day an hours and it is a no brainer by the side. After stripping the most I will sand. So far I see I have no structure problems.

Now my question.
If I am down to basically bare cement what would you guys recommend for primer and paint. Could I use normal pool paint? What s about non skit.
Who has done this kind of work and has experience.
pictures to see the condition in the moment you find under
Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream

thanks for the help
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:39   #962

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Hi Peter, I'm using paving paint like you would use on a driveway or pathway. It's thin so it needs more than one coat (more like what Americans would call a "whitewash" I guess) but it's hardy stuff and soaks right in. You can buy grit additives for a non-skid surface, and also I'm told a hardener can be added for a more durable surface. I think it cost AU$59 for 4 litres so it's not expensive stuff.

I wouldn't bother to sand after using a butane torch, as long as the lumps are gone it should be clean enough. I used one of these things to recondition a door many years ago and everything came off easily. Wish I could find another one, right now I have some very stubborn paint to remove!

My detailed restoration is being more-or-less blogged here FYI:

Finally, the day has come - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

You're very fortunate to find no structural problems, I have several large holes to fill where old cement has come loose and fallen out.

One tip I can pass on is how to stop orange rust marks from resurfacing. Hit them with a circular wire brush on a battery drill, then apply a rust converter/primer. The rust should turn black at this stage but will still leach through the paint. Now after that sets, paint over with PVA wood glue and wait a few hours, then use the paving paint. No more orange marks, ever!

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 23:42   #963

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
hello friends,

I am in Italy now and have more time to start thinking again about my next steps in spring when I start working again on Ozma.

One of the works on the list will be painting the deck. I started already to strip some of the paint off with a torch and a scraper. Consumes some time but every day an hours and it is a no brainer by the side. After stripping the most I will sand. So far I see I have no structure problems.

Now my question.
If I am down to basically bare cement what would you guys recommend for primer and paint. Could I use normal pool paint? What s about non skit.
Who has done this kind of work and has experience.
pictures to see the condition in the moment you find under

thanks for the help
peter
G'day Peter,

For painting FC boats, have a look at this site. Here's another info'/product site that may help you, this business is in "Tax Free" New Hampshire, USA.

Bill
Australia
Old 11-12-2012, 20:06   #964

Buying a FC boat

On the subject of buying a FC boat, or any boat for that matter, I'm left wondering, why would anyone pay, asking price of $44,900AUD for this real nice Tasmania, AU, Hartley 38' South Seas when they could have this beaut 45' American, San Diego, CA, custom built Ketch for, asking price of $28,900USD = 27,449.33AUD (at today's exchange rate)

I believe Australian sellers have not as yet, realised the fact that they, the sellers, no-longer have a locked/captive market? Thanks to the Internet we, Australian buyers, can shop in the States, Canada or anywhere else in the world for a suitable boat, or anything else we may want. We can also have any boat that interests a buyer inspected and/or surveyed before we jump aboard a plane to go visit our dreamboat...wherever it may be in the world. After we buy our dream, we can then take our time and cruise the boat back to Australia, pay the 10% GST and other duties and still come out of the deal with a beaut boat, a, hopefully, great cruise home and a big saving of our hard earned cash. So why would buyers look at buying a boat in Australia when we can get a much better deal for our cash elsewhere.

Perhaps some sellers will have the answer to the query but I'll be dammed if I can figure it out

Bill
Australia
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38   #965

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Quote:
hello
This is my last update to the OZMA project. I am already on my way back to Italy and will pause the work now for 3 month. I have been working little bit more then 2 month and accomplished a lot for one guy working alone.
Here are the latest pics.
Hope to see you guys next year again
Happy christmas and a new year.

thanks for all the advice
peter
Peter kudos to you! You've done some very nice work there, do you think you'll finish her next year?

Thomas
Old 12-12-2012, 14:26   #966
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
On the subject of buying a FC boat, or any boat for that matter, I'm left wondering, why would anyone pay, asking price of $44,900AUD for this real nice Tasmania, AU, Hartley 38' South Seas when they could have this beaut 45' American, San Diego, CA, custom built Ketch for, asking price of $28,900USD = 27,449.33AUD (at today's exchange rate)

I believe Australian sellers have not as yet, realised the fact that they, the sellers, no-longer have a locked/captive market? Thanks to the Internet we, Australian buyers, can shop in the States, Canada or anywhere else in the world for a suitable boat, or anything else we may want. We can also have any boat that interests a buyer inspected and/or surveyed before we jump aboard a plane to go visit our dreamboat...wherever it may be in the world. After we buy our dream, we can then take our time and cruise the boat back to Australia, pay the 10% GST and other duties and still come out of the deal with a beaut boat, a, hopefully, great cruise home and a big saving of our hard earned cash. So why would buyers look at buying a boat in Australia when we can get a much better deal for our cash elsewhere.

Perhaps some sellers will have the answer to the query but I'll be dammed if I can figure it out

Bill
Australia
Well. My brother found his FC boat in Thailand around July 2012. I went and had a look. It was as advertised and he came up for a survey and did the deal in Langkawi. The plan was to sail it back to Oz.

A year+ later he is enjoying cruising Thailand and Malaysia. Living is so inexpensive the plan to go back is starting to fade away along with the complexities of making the boat "right" for the Aussie gov't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2406008817.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	51093  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 21:07   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well. My brother found his FC boat in Thailand around July 2012. I went and had a look. It was as advertised and he came up for a survey and did the deal in Langkawi. The plan was to sail it back to Oz.

A year+ later he is enjoying cruising Thailand and Malaysia. Living is so inexpensive the plan to go back is starting to fade away along with the complexities of making the boat "right" for the Aussie gov't.
I can well understand your Bro' buying and basing the boat in Thailand, I bet he got a sweet deal compared with what he would have got had he bought in Australia.
The FC boat I have my eye on is in the States, the West Coast. If I can get away and everything works-out with the boat, I would sail her back to the Philippines, from there I would have all of S.E. Asia to cruise in before choosing a base. Bringing the boat into Australia would be pretty low on my To-Do list.
Old 13-12-2012, 00:31   #968
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Howdy howdy howdy,
I'm no expert on FC boats, but I have built one and sailed her around the world. Geez, that was a time ago. Launched her in '73. Let me see.... yeah she's nearly 40 years old!
Anyways, we are still sailing the lady. Imagine that. And all the doomsayers say ferro won't last. My, my. Must be nearly 150k on our lady. Anyways, to the point. I'll be around for a bit while we do a refit and thought I'd stop by to say HI.
Cheers, from down under
Old 13-12-2012, 02:07   #969

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Howdy howdy howdy,
I'm no expert on FC boats, but I have built one and sailed her around the world. Geez, that was a time ago. Launched her in '73. Let me see.... yeah she's nearly 40 years old!
Anyways, we are still sailing the lady. Imagine that. And all the doomsayers say ferro won't last. My, my. Must be nearly 150k on our lady. Anyways, to the point. I'll be around for a bit while we do a refit and thought I'd stop by to say HI.
Cheers, from down under
G'day banyandah Jack and Jude,

I bet you have much more experience with FC boats than most of us on this thread mate.

You and your family have sailed many thousands of miles and...You did it all in your own (you built her) backyard built FC yacht
I for one welcome and look forward to your advice on the subject.

Bill
Australia
Old 13-12-2012, 12:59   #970
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Hi Bill,
Again, I'm no expert. I know this boat like the back of my hand, but no other FC.
I'll be around for a bit so if I can offer any tidbits of advice, just ask. Presently on the hard at Kettering Tasmania, getting ready for a major voyage. Part of that refit, we bashed out a bit of cancer, nothing serious, nothing like the time we rebuilt our lady's bow.
We've restarted our blog with Cruising Helmsman, have a peek
cheers one and all
Old 13-12-2012, 14:11   #971

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

Hi Peter, we recently renewed Avalons topsides using pool paint Pool Guard Epoxy Pool Paint - 2 GAL KIT
the results have been good so far. I have enjoyed watching your progress so far, It looks like a fairly large refit and you will be rewarded in the end. We love our Ferro !

Cheers, Rick

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	51145

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	51146
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:41   #972

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello stonefloat
thanks for the response. This looks very good what you did.
The price for a 2 gallon kit seems very good too. approx 120us
What did you used as a primer. Did you used the same paint also for the deck.
What kind of bondo is good to fair out the dings.

I have still a lot of work in front of me but the major problem is what level of perfection is needed. To make all 100 % in the first strike keeps you from cruising for a long time. I guess I will do the what is really needed and do the rest with more time down south. Then there is something to do between the islands other the fishing and trinking rum. Joking.

If I can keep the speed I would say 4-5 month of concentrated work will do enough.

thanks again
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 10:42   #973

Boat: Kan Walker 40ft

Hi folks I've just joined the forum after finally securing my dream yacht a Kan Waker ferro cement 38ft Clipper. I am now going to prepare it to head off, to where? who knows maybe this forum will play a part in that decision. I hope so.

Very happy to be here and getting to know what's what!
Rohin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 11:03   #974

Boat: Lagoon 440

Just out of interest, are many FC hulls currently being built?
In the mid 70's i built a Hartley Queenslander, pipe frame chicken wire and at that time in the Bayside area of Capalaba/Gumdale/Redland Bay there were probably 10 or so under construction.

I think Wilf O'kell was building in WA then moved to Bundaberg (not sure if my memory is correct)? Kan Walker was in New Zealand? I remember having a book (bible) written by 'Bruce Bingham" i think it was called 'Ferro-Cement Design Techniques & Construction'???

The book was absolutely a trove of info and artwork for any boatbuilder regardless of material. I remember he had a habit of drawing sleeping pussy-cats into his design drawings, he favoured the Herreschoff with beautiful sheer and clipper bows....Ahhhh!

Over the 80's i saw quite a few FC's in Gladstone both on the sticks and in the Marina but just wonder how often they are built now. A good friend Bill Bailey had a habit of buying large ones and completing them, good old Bill.....

Just wondering, Cheers Frank.
Old 14-12-2012, 11:57   #975

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

Quote:
hello stonefloat
thanks for the response. This looks very good what you did.
The price for a 2 gallon kit seems very good too. approx 120us
What did you used as a primer. Did you used the same paint also for the deck.
What kind of bondo is good to fair out the dings.

I have still a lot of work in front of me but the major problem is what level of perfection is needed. To make all 100 % in the first strike keeps you from cruising for a long time. I guess I will do the what is really needed and do the rest with more time down south. Then there is something to do between the islands other the fishing and trinking rum. Joking.

If I can keep the speed I would say 4-5 month of concentrated work will do enough
thanks again
peter
Before I started I sent off a small sample that I managed to scrape off to paint company for analysis,and was told it was an epoxy so no problem going over top with their 2-part pool paint which is self priming. The fairing compound that I used System Three QuikFair Fairing Compound great easy application and sanding then no primer just straight pool paint. I didnt need to worry about my decks as both decks and house are teak , but I have heard other ferro owners using industrial rubberized roof coatings with good success. One thing that you will want to do is coat any exposed rusted steel with a rust converter before you patch or paint. Looking forward to hearing about your progress,

Cheers, Rick
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro