Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 20:52   #856

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
That Hartley 45 on eBay dosen't have a shower...45' of space and no shower installed...I wonder what he installed in place of the shower
Mate, couldn't be too hard to rig one up, after all he does have pressurised water aboard. A bit of black plastic on the cabin roof for a solar heat collector and a portable shower nozzle in the head, voila!

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 21:59   #857

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

Update from OZMA.

I am finally on the boat and working hard.
Perhaps you guys remember the story with the leaking diesel trough the hull.

It has been different after all. After very good cleaning of the engine room I found out following.

!. The engine room has a layer off fiber glass preventing contamination to the hull.
2. The diesel tanks are ok. Outside rust but no leaks. They are built of steal and separated from the hull.
3. The coloration we have seen on the outside of the hull what looks like diesel or oel penetration is in reality tar epoxy which colored on some spots the old antifouling.

This was also the reason for no hearing any kind of difference when knocking with a hammer on the hull. It made the same sound on the darker parts the on the lighter parts.

The hull is super sound and an incredible example for the quality of ferro cement as a building material for boats. After 9 years of no maintenance sitting in a boat yard the hull after cleaning seams perfect.

One big help in the cleaning process has been a wonder full tool. I bought a hot water pressure cleaner from karcher model hds 1000. I was lucky to find one used for a very good price. After the renovation I always can sell it again. This pressure cleaner is made to fight oel spills on beaches etc. Without this tool I would no have been able to come to such a fast result. Its worth every cent.

The keel cooler is not a keel cooler. It has been a miss information from the yard. This is actually the water-intake for the main engine and the genset.

When I discovered the boat I had only one day to see it and then I had to leave for Europe. I only made some pictures. After cleaning I have to say I made the right decision to buy the boat. The problems I was thinking I had dissolving.

I did not had the time to make pics but will do so and post them to you.
After All the effort you had with me this is the least I can do.

Thanks and I will keep you updated.
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 22:40   #858

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Excellent update Peter...looking forward to seeing the pictures.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 12:02   #859

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

I've read Colin Brookes book on Ferro-Cement a few times now and seem to still have some unanswered questions, which I'll post here:

1. You've made your truss frames and are ready to hang these frames from the overhead building frame. Got it no problem, but how are the hangers attached to the frame? They are threaded rods taking the weight of the boat during the application of the longitudinals, diagonals and meshing. But they can't be there for the plastering, right? So, what happens to the hangers because they are still holding the weight of the boat! It clearly states no metal is to protrude from the plastering, so how are the hangers attached during this period?

2. On page 52 it shows a plastic pipe being used to form a path for the stern tube. Ok, good idea, but is the plastic pipe left in place and the stern tube passed through it? Or is the tube somehow removed and the stern tube substituted? If left in place, do you secure the stern tube with epoxy to the plastic or what? How is this handled?

3. On page 51 it talks about forming your port lights in bar then filling the void with a plywood blank for the plastering process. Ok, but when the plywood blank is removed, you will have exposed metal not covered by cement? Early it said not to do this. So, which is it? The same would be true for the hatches in your decks in the case of ferro decks.

This is a good start.

My thanks in advance for making these points clearer.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 27-09-2012, 13:36   #860

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Peter,

Great to hear it!! Good luck with your new yacht.

Thomas,

Wrong thread. Maybe you should email Colin about that, or find someone on the forum who actually built one. Not many around these days.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 20:27   #861

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Peter,

Great to hear it!! Good luck with your new yacht.

Thomas,

Wrong thread. Maybe you should email Colin about that, or find someone on the forum who actually built one. Not many around these days.

Rob
Ditto to Robs post above. Try contacting Colin on: Forum subject list and keep us up to date on his advice Thomas
Old 28-09-2012, 15:27   #862
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
Update from OZMA.

I am finally on the boat and working hard.
Perhaps you guys remember the story with the leaking diesel trough the hull.
Wonderful News Peter. Excellent report. The Hot blaster sounds a grand tool and I can only image its effect having used several cold high pressure units. If it finds weak spots and digs to good mesh then that's worth the bucks on a project like yours. Send it down to Hobart when you're finished I've a hull that's needing some attention.

How will you protect the newly cleaned hull. We've epoxy glass sheathed our hull to above our waterline on the inside. Outside we saturated the bare cement with epoxy, the first coat suitable thinned.
Here are some photos of our hull restoration.
Voyages of the Banyandah - Berkeley River
banyandah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 19:24   #863

hello banyandah and friends

So far I got nearly all the old primer and antifouling of the hull. In only a few spots also the epoxy tar came of. This stuff is really great. After everything is real clean I will re-coat with epoxy tar ones more and then primer and antifouling. Thanks to the hot water pressure I have not used one grinding disc to do the job.
Very good news today. After cleaning the engine I disconnected the engine from the drive shaft and it turns perfect. The shaft with the folding prop is also turning fine. It is one of this props where you can regulate the pitch from inside the engine room with a wheel. It is a perfect system when under sail and having a big prop. Have no idea how much a system like this would cost today
Been afraid that after 9 years of not using it will be a problem.
I have a break for some days and after I will be back I will try to start the engine Perkins 6.354. I am sure it will be no problem. Did not wanted to do it before cleaning the fuel system.
So far things are much much better the expected.

Thanks for the interest.

peter
Try to send some pics on the weekend
Old 28-09-2012, 20:14   #864
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
hello banyandah and friends

Been afraid that after 9 years of not using it will be a problem.
I have a break for some days and after I will be back I will try to start the engine Perkins 6.354.
Did not wanted to do it before cleaning the fuel system.
So far things are much much better the expected.

Thanks for the interest.

peter
Try to send some pics on the weekend
You'd be very wise to clean the fuel system very well after it sitting for so many years. Change every filter, bled all lines, and expect water to have collected in the tanks from condensation, collecting at the lowest point. Can you bled that part of your tanks? Do have have inspection ports? There could be the dreaded fungi in your fuel. You make need to run some fresh through and check the aglomorators. Might be very wise just to dump all the fuel and start with new. Cleaning and calibrating ejectors is time consuming and costly.

Cheers,
JackandJude.com
Old 30-09-2012, 11:59   #865

banyandah

Thanks for your advise.
The boat has a fuel capacity of 2000 gallons. I dont know jet how much fuel is still left in the tanks.
In the yard they offer fuel polishing. I have no experience with this but will see.
The next thing coming back to the boat I will clean everything and start the engine. Exciting step forward.
step
thanks
peter
Old 30-09-2012, 22:13   #866

Quote:
banyandah

Thanks for your advise.
The boat has a fuel capacity of 2000 gallons. I dont know jet how much fuel is still left in the tanks.
In the yard they offer fuel polishing. I have no experience with this but will see.
The next thing coming back to the boat I will clean everything and start the engine. Exciting step forward.
step
thanks
peter
While at sea in the merchant service we always cleaned our diesel before use so I recommend a fuel polisher be used on any diesel bought in 3rd world countries and even 1st world countries. You can never be to careful mate.
You can buy 12V portable diesel polishers on this US website Peter. Or this British site.
I have nothing to do with the company/s but I do recommend a fuel polisher be used on all diesel before use in your motor/s
Old 07-10-2012, 04:22   #867

good news,
yesterday the main diesel started without any problems. Run like a champ.
Thanks
p.s.
I did not forgot the pics. Had problems with camera and time.
Old 07-10-2012, 18:33   #868

here are some new pics.
Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream
Old 07-10-2012, 20:55   #869

Hi,

I was having a look at this on gumtree, looks different from the fc boats you normally see.

Any idea what it is?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/telar...ll-/1007028587
Jryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 22:01   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder View Post
Hi,

I was having a look at this on gumtree, looks different from the fc boats you normally see.

Any idea what it is?

36FT FERRO- CEMENT YACHT "'MUST SELL'" | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Maitland Area - Telarah
G'day mate,

I don't recognise the boat design, it dose not look like a Hartley or a Okell, it could be a backyard designed and built boat but I don't know. If it is backyard designed and built, then be very careful, there were a number of shockers designed and built by people who should have stuck to their day-jobs
As a live aboard cruising boat, I prefer this Cox FC motorsailer, or something similar, problem is, I can not at present get away to inspect the NZ boat

Tags
ferro