Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 19:53   #1051

Boat: Hartley 28 plus fluted stern
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

pdbms,
Yes I also use Northern Reef Insurance from Edward William in the UK as broker. I chose Edward William because it was recommended to me by a friend at the time I was buying my boat, and I am now in my third year. Two companies were mentioned at the time, but can't remember second one.

However, I could have used APIA Insurance in Australia as it was used by the previous owner of my boat. I think you have to be over 55 (not sure).

I am looking for advice on antifouling the boat again this season - what has been the best experience and products for other ferro owners - and price.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:21   #1052

Boat: 1974 canoe hull 11.5 m yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleman View Post
My partner and I are currently researching live-aboard yachts, and despite doing a search of this site I have not found any mention (or discussion) of ferro-cement hulls.
We have spoken to a couple of people who own them and who say they can be very capable (although warning that there have been some very bad 'backyard' ones built) however others speak of them like the Black Death!

I would appreciate the opinions of those in this forum,
Thanks,
Marlene
Hi I'm currently restoring a ferro cement yacht it was built in 1974 according to the ingraving on the hatch glass its in sound condition but needed a lot of work to replace all the main components that were sold off, it had no motor, navigation gear, etc. When buying an older Ferro yacht you can expect to spend around $30k on up grades a repainted hull $10k, rejigging $10k, new furler $4k, furling headsail $3k, mainsail $3k motor upgrade $14k, new hatches 4K, teak toerales 4K, you will never recover this back in a fire sale so chose wisely I was lucky my 38ft Ferro has a Kevlar skin with a thin coat of polyester filler and has a Ferro deck so it's built like an egg shell with over size rigging. As well all the storage tanks are stainless steel. The other problem is not many shiprights will take on Ferro cemement boats, fixing fittings is a hassle the chane plate through bolts are in most cases apoxy impregnated in and the underside hidden by roof linings or behind cuboards were there is no access to them, and l haven't got to the rewiring yet or the seacocks.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:01   #1053

I have owned my De Groot built 30 foot Hartley designed ferro boat and lived aboard for two and a half years now. I have had no problems at all. When it was due for anti-fouling (every 2 years at the marina where I live in Hobart Tasmania) I got professional painters to do the job as I had just had surgery on my hand.

They water-blasted it, scraped it down, put a silver undercoat and two coats of black anti-fouling paint for the cost of $1,200. The diesel marine mechanic charges me $1100 for a full maintenance each year. Marina fees cost $2800 per year - and that's that.

There have been quite a few professionally built ferrous-cement boats sold in Tasmania over the last year - all sold for a good price and were in fantastic condition. The owners loved them. Most sold to live in another country.

Boat brokers in Tasmania ensure that the prospective new owner gets a sea trial and a professional survey done (@ $350) which is acceptable to the buyer before a sale is done.
All I can say is that you need to know who built the boat and get it professionally surveyed.
All I see at the marina and boat yards are wooden boats and GRP boats having extensive work doing to them - my boat is built to last.
My main problem is finding a larger boat that I can trust as being in the same excellent condition as the one I have. I'll have to think about that over a beer or two this summer.
Stefan - "NickinOff"
Old 19-10-2017, 16:53   #1054

Gosh , 70 pages , I wonder if the OP did ever buy one , glad to see the later pages have been somewhat more appreciative of the FC concept than the earlier condemnations , as said by many, the builder and their knowledge is paramount in the finished product , myself have had some experience with FC boats , had one in the family some years ago , beautiful 40' endurance , the hull was built by Windboats in uk ( for one of the famous F1 designers ) and was finished by a marine engineer , the hull was beautifully fair , as good as any glass or wooden finish , ( I think it was faired with cold tar epoxy ) the boat was built like a tank giving an incredible feel of confidence and safety in any weather , I was lucky enough to bring it back to uk from Gibraltar along with my brother who basically singlehanded it . Not sure where it is now ,, also a friend of ours built a 38 ' er , much finer design and sailed lived on it in Mediterranean and then Caribbean for nigh on 20 years with no appreciable problems , still has it . There was another one I knew of , fantastic looking 50 'er where the builder had great idea of using hollow tubing instead of solid bar for framing to save some weight , unfortunately these eventually started to rust from the inside and wept rust terribly , don't know what ever happened to that boat .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 21:13   #1055

Hi Nickinof you live in a beautiful part of the world I had a great tim in Horbart at the last Wooden Boat Show there and I'm envious at your quoted prices for maitanance, here in Sydney antyfouling runs around $75 per ft, shiprights at the slipway $100ph. I'm currently bringing my yach up to survey hence the extensive refit and hope to have her sailing by Xmas this year. I was pleased to read your positive statement on owning a Ferro cement boats they suffer greatly by misinformed people I hope this thread keeps running with more positive statement on the virtues of these boats, mine is very comfortable and dry I hope to spend as much time on her as is posable, one of my missions is to find out who designed her and were she was built I will up load photos as soon as I work out how on this format.
Old 21-10-2017, 16:30   #1056

[QUOTE=Norsman;2502880]Hi Nickinof you live in a beautiful part of the world I had a great tim in Horbart at the last Wooden Boat Show there and I'm envious at your quoted prices for maitanance, here in Sydney antyfouling runs around $75 per ft, shiprights at the slipway $100ph. I'm currently bringing my yach up to survey hence the extensive refit and hope to have her sailing by Xmas this year. I was pleased to read your positive statement on owning a Ferro cement boats they suffer greatly by misinformed people I hope this thread keeps running with more positive statement on the virtues of these boats, mine is very comfortable and dry I hope to spend as much time on her as is posable, one of my missions is to find out who designed her and were she was built I will up load photos as soon as I work out how on this format.[/QU]

Further to the above I have to someone who saw my yacht when it was first offered for sale in 2003 he said the build took the owner four years to complete it was on the Brisbane River on its own anchor lines opposite the Botanical Gardens the second owner left it there for a further three years and striped it of all its assets some how it made its way to the Pitwatter in NSW and was used as a live aboard sold again and moved to Sydney Harbour there are no documents with the yacht to say who or how it was built I’ve recerched and the closest designers at of Joe Adems center conceal yachts the internal layouts are very similar
Old 21-10-2017, 17:39   #1057

Hi Norsman, thanks for your reply.and I hope you soon find out the builder of your boat. You seem to be on the right track. Your boat has certainly moved around, going from Brisbane to Sydney. Look forward to seeing some of your photos.
Old 23-10-2017, 09:31   #1058

Wow... I guess if you've got a ferro question, this is the thread to ask it in! Fourteen years old and still going! Is that a record?

Hello. I just signed up. I'm currently restoring a Westerly Tiger but am looking ahead to my long-dreamt boat building project of the future, which will probably also be a liveaboard.

I recently came across mention of Patrick Cotten's ferro boat designs from the 1970's in the writings of Reuel Parker, describing FISHERS HORNPIPE, a boat which was 45 years old before a hurricane wrecked it. Cotten's designs are described as spacious, stable, and often incorporating interesting features like raised aft decks.

Now, in a permanent liveaboard for northern climes (I'm in the UK) things like spacious, stable and raised decks that improve the living space start to become more important than a boat that can belt along in a F5 with a bone in her teeth. (This would be nice, don't get me wrong, but... priorities.)

However, having done some googling, I can't find any additional information online. No website, very few owner blogs (all out of date), and very little mention in general outside of Reuel Parker's articles. Apparently Mr Cotten is still alive and living in Washington state and his company, Harmony Charters, still exists, but they have not responded to my enquiry, which was to ask if any of his plans are still available.

Does anyone know anything more? I'm not dead set on building in ferro, yet, but would certainly like to see some examples of Mr Cotten's plans, if only for inspiration. But I'm also trying to cost the material to see if it still works out cheaper than the alternatives in wood/epoxy or steel.

Thanks
Internet Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:54   #1059

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Sailor View Post
Wow... I guess if you've got a ferro question, this is the thread to ask it in! Fourteen years old and still going! Is that a record?

Hello. I just signed up. I'm currently restoring a Westerly Tiger but am looking ahead to my long-dreamt boat building project of the future, which will probably also be a liveaboard.

I recently came across mention of Patrick Cotten's ferro boat designs from the 1970's in the writings of Reuel Parker, describing FISHERS HORNPIPE, a boat which was 45 years old before a hurricane wrecked it. Cotten's designs are described as spacious, stable, and often incorporating interesting features like raised aft decks.

Now, in a permanent liveaboard for northern climes (I'm in the UK) things like spacious, stable and raised decks that improve the living space start to become more important than a boat that can belt along in a F5 with a bone in her teeth. (This would be nice, don't get me wrong, but... priorities.)

However, having done some googling, I can't find any additional information online. No website, very few owner blogs (all out of date), and very little mention in general outside of Reuel Parker's articles. Apparently Mr Cotten is still alive and living in Washington state and his company, Harmony Charters, still exists, but they have not responded to my enquiry, which was to ask if any of his plans are still available.

Does anyone know anything more? I'm not dead set on building in ferro, yet, but would certainly like to see some examples of Mr Cotten's plans, if only for inspiration. But I'm also trying to cost the material to see if it still works out cheaper than the alternatives in wood/epoxy or steel.

Thanks

Where in the UK are you as there are quite a few ferro boats for sale.

My boat is currently on the hard in North Fambridge undergoing conversion work.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 11:28   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Where in the UK are you as there are quite a few ferro boats for sale.

My boat is currently on the hard in North Fambridge undergoing conversion work.
Hi Paula, thanks for your suggestion, but I find that most ferro boats are basically copies of AWBs in their layout and function. The whole point of my building my own is so I can configure it my way in terms of hull form, keel type, onboard layout and facilities, type of rig, and include features not generally found on the mass market. I'm looking at ferro because I've read it's just as good as other materials if done right, and might be cheaper to build.
Internet Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:44   #1061

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Hi I-S
Labour content is high and probably the reason there are not many being built these days,
Many cheap un-cared for boats are available for those whose main focus is cost.

Plans available here;
Boat Plans, Build Your Own Boat with Hartley Boat Plans and books
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 18:20   #1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Sailor View Post
Hi Paula, thanks for your suggestion, but I find that most ferro boats are basically copies of AWBs in their layout and function. The whole point of my building my own is so I can configure it my way in terms of hull form, keel type, onboard layout and facilities, type of rig, and include features not generally found on the mass market. I'm looking at ferro because I've read it's just as good as other materials if done right, and might be cheaper to build.
I know of one for sale in Scotland , built by perfectionist with best of materials , 20 years of live aboard and extensively cruised , American design ( raised after end ) if you are interested , good price I expect
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:41   #1063

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello to report back

had not much time to work on Ozma but in the next years to come I will have more of it.

I moved to ny in the meantime and this makes it easier to work again on Ozma which is located in hampstead,nc.

here are some new pics if anybody is interested

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awab/?

I replaced the pilot some house windows and made a skylight in the roof.
started the floor in the aft cabin and now everything I didn't wanted is out of the boat. In spring I will go one with the work.

For cutting out the windows out I used a flex 10000 rpm and a concrete twin blade made by dealt 4.5 inch. this twin blade was perfect durable and had no problem when I hit the steal inside the concrete. To install the windows I used
silkadur 30. This is a 2 part cement repair epoxy. great stuff. I used this also to install a new though hull for the generator inlet.

regards
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:16   #1064

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

You have some work to do there.

When you clean down to concrete inside paint with a breathable paint - I use a water based garage floor paint.

This allows the concrete to breath and not hold water.

for full repair details read the book

'Ferro-cement Boats'

by Colin Brookes.mSNAME.amRINA.

Great book with lots of brilliant info.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 16:11   #1065

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

WOW! I presume all the encased steel is bonded to prevent galvanic corrosion? In any case, that is a project two steps beyond my meager ability
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro