Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 00:44   #946

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Hey Bill, Got yourself a ferro yet? I just bought a second one today ... for less than half the price of the first. They're out there.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:56   #947

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Hey Bill, Got yourself a ferro yet? I just bought a second one today ... for less than half the price of the first. They're out there.

Rob
G'day Rob,

Now you're just being a greedy braggart Why the heck do you need two boats
As for myself, no mate, I have not bought my FC boat...Yet
Things at my place are still the same, my wife just got home from hospital on Wed' past (she had been in hospital for three weeks) Now I spend all my time looking after my wife at home.
I still have a number of FC boats on my watch-list, a few are in NZ and two are in the States, California. They range in size from 36' to 45' and all are priced between 25 and 67 thousand dollars...Today, one of those NZ boats has been reduced in price, the asking price of that one is now $59,000. As you may well imagine, these boats need very little work, if any, to get them ready for sea.
Oh well...The dream is still alive and well, who knows how things will work-out

As for your second boat Rob, what make is it and, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I must keep in mind, any boat I buy will be with me the rest of my life, so overspending on any boat would not be a good move but then...We get what we pay for, most times and if we want such-and-such, then we just have to pay the price.

Do keep us informed on your progress Rob mate and good luck with everything.

Bill
Australia
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27   #948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
G'day Rob,

Now you're just being a greedy braggart Why the heck do you need two boats
Guilty as charged, yeronner. The new one is in Brisbane, I plan to live there part of the year. NSW Maritime don't allow full-time liveaboards. Besides it was a good deal, I saw it sell 3 months ago and kicked myself because I forgot to bid. I got it $450 cheaper when the new owner realized it was too small for his family.

Quote:
As for myself, no mate, I have not bought my FC boat...Yet
Things at my place are still the same, my wife just got home from hospital on Wed' past (she had been in hospital for three weeks) Now I spend all my time looking after my wife at home.
Sorry to hear that. Not good having life put on hold.

Quote:
I still have a number of FC boats on my watch-list, a few are in NZ and two are in the States, California. They range in size from 36' to 45' and all are priced between 25 and 67 thousand dollars...Today, one of those NZ boats has been reduced in price, the asking price of that one is now $59,000. As you may well imagine, these boats need very little work, if any, to get them ready for sea.
Oh well...The dream is still alive and well, who knows how things will work-out
That's the spirit mate. Just keep that dream going.

Quote:
As for your second boat Rob, what make is it and, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I must keep in mind, any boat I buy will be with me the rest of my life, so overspending on any boat would not be a good move but then...We get what we pay for, most times and if we want such-and-such, then we just have to pay the price.

Do keep us informed on your progress Rob mate and good luck with everything.
Hartley Tasman 30'er. $2200

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tasman1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	50645  

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44   #949

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello
This is my last update to the OZMA project. I am already on my way back to Italy and will pause the work now for 3 month. I have been working little bit more then 2 month and accomplished a lot for one guy working alone.
Here are the latest pics.
Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream
Hope to see you guys next year again
Happy christmas and a new year.

thanks for all the advice
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 20:45   #950

Quote:
I saw it sell 3 months ago and kicked myself because I forgot to bid. I got it $450 cheaper when the new owner realized it was too small for his family.

Hartley Tasman 30'er. $2200

Rob
I did ask where you bought it Rob...Not stole it mate
At $2200 it looks like you got yourself a gift

Bill
Australia
Old 03-12-2012, 21:02   #951

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
hello
This is my last update to the OZMA project. I am already on my way back to Italy and will pause the work now for 3 month. I have been working little bit more then 2 month and accomplished a lot for one guy working alone.
Here are the latest pics.
Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream
Hope to see you guys next year again
Happy christmas and a new year.

thanks for all the advice
peter
G'day Peter,

I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year holiday with your family
You still have a big job in front of you Peter but keep at it and you'll get there mate.
I'm now just to old and worn-out to even think of taking on a similar project, that's why I'm prepared to pay the extra dosh for a boat that does not need so much work...Now if only I can learn a few of Robs tricks when it comes to me buying a boat

I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2013 Peter

Cheers mate,

Bill
Australia
Old 05-12-2012, 21:15   #952

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro

I want to post this based on the original comment or question about whether to buy a FC boat. Early in this post there are a lot of lengthy commentary from non FC boat owners, although very educated, that seem to be overly critical of FC. This post is primarily for those who have opened this Thread and likely have a good FC prospect that they are considering, to move forward with there sailing dream, and have become instantly discouraged by reading this. It seems that that critics of FC is usually 'heady' theory whereas enthusiasts of FC speak from experience....huge difference.

For those who are actively looking at a FC boat, 1st you need to know what is a good sailing vessel and what is not. Then, you will know a bad FC boat and a good one. Use your instinct and judgement. When I bought mine I wasnt looking for one but it was a good opportunity and Im glad I did. I was told by everyone to stay away from FC, I 'kicked the tires' and researched and dug around the boat for 6 months before I was confident in making the purchase. IN the end I followed my own knowledge and instincts and made a fantastic decision for my family. My FC attracts a lot of admiring eyes even though it will never be a glamorous yacht but when its under sail its a beautiful thing.
In God We Trust and happy sailing daze.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:02   #953

Quote:
I did ask where you bought it Rob...Not stole it mate
At $2200 it looks like you got yourself a gift

Bill
Australia
Now you can see why I didn't want to miss out the second time she came up for sale. What the ad didn't state is that it had a $20k refit only 7 years ago, including new glass-over-ply cabin. With no engine she looks like a great contender for an electric drive to me.

New transom sticker ideas:

"Sail it like you stole it."
"My other boat is also a Hartley."

Now all I need is a South Seas to complete the set. :-)

Rob

Old 07-12-2012, 05:10   #954

Quote:
G'day Rob,

Have you seen this one? NZD29,000 (AUD23,048)

Used Hartley South Seas for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Old 07-12-2012, 13:21   #955

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Assuming it has a builders certificate that South Seas looks like pretty good value, it looks well done, the cabin looks like its built to plan, ferro decks and wood cabin is a good compromise,nice and solid underfoot and no worry about soft spots as you will find on most glass boats of that age, better than all ferro, will one of you guys buy it please, im too far away.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 14:09   #956

Quote:
Have you seen this one? NZD29,000 (AUD23,048)

Used Hartley South Seas for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Yes Rob, I did see that Hartley and I have had it on my TradeMe watch list for some months. On TradeMe the dealer has it listed for...$47,000NZ See the ad'
I also have this real nice HERROSHOFF on my NZ watch list, it's listed, by the owner, at $25,000NZD (comes with a build cert') and looks to be a great buy at that price

Both vessels have been listed on TradeMe for some time and I was planning a trip over the ditch to check those two, and a few others, but then things this end went to crap and I could not get away, still can't, as I have said before, I can do nothing as things stand at present (personal reasons )

If any of you bods are serious about buying a boat and doing your own thing, don't hang about thinking about it for to long...Things can change real fast.

Cheers mates,

Bill
Australia
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12   #957

Mate, that ad was listed in July. Obviously realized he wouldn't get it.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:34   #958
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches

Found this one

Pacific Boat Brokers Inc. (Parksville, BC)

Any idea who may have built it? Thanks, Roger
Old 09-12-2012, 14:17   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
Found this one

You want someone to identify a (probably) 40yo CUSTOM ferro? Good luck with that. Looks a bit like a Roberts design, he did do a couple before eschewing ferro in the 70s and one of them was a 50 footer.

Old 09-12-2012, 23:41   #960

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
Found this one

G'day Roger,

The sales-page states she's a 63' "Custom", so she could have been designed and built by one of the TV Simpson’s for all I know but they also say, she has been cruising since 1978 (34 years) so I'm guessing she was well designed and built by whoever in the first place. She looks to have Sampson lines but I would not bet on that, I wonder, could she be based on a Sampson C-Witch 63
I would not like to pay for her sails...I believe sails for a 63'er would be pretty expensive to buy
Apart from that...She's a beaut looking vessel which I would love to own...If only I could afford to buy, maintain, and...Pay for a crew to safely man her

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro