Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 15:44   #901

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarfmaker View Post
Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here. This has been a super thread to read...
Congrats on the boat Allen, any pics?
Old 22-10-2012, 16:08   #902

Boat: 32' C-Mist design cutter

I just put some pics on PhotoBucket...hope this link works:

Pictures by CutterSunrise - Photobucket

Alan
Swarfmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 18:24   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarfmaker View Post
...There are many layers of antifouling on the bottom and it's all quite rough and peeling in small areas. Her previous owner says I should just scrape the loose areas and apply more paint, but I would like to do a better job than that. I'd like to remove all the old antifouling, reseal and repaint. Have any of you done this before and could you make any suggestions? Thanks!
I'd do exactly as the PO suggests, at least in the first instance: just scrape and repaint. That'll do the job. Maybe next time (a couple of years?), if you still want, you could take it back and reseal. But by then you'd probably realise that it's really not necessary.

I suggest this because lotsa folk, in initial enthusiasm, try to renovate a perfectly good boat into a better boat and end up spending too much time, energy and money in the yard.

Just check and repair/renew the important systems and gear where necessary and leave the rest for later. A qucik scrape and antifoul is an easy job - just do it and tick it off the list.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:38   #904

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello to the group,
Posted some more pics. Work every day 10 hours but having fun. North Carolina is full of friendly people. Compliment here.
I have a question about the prop. First I have been thinking it is a max prop but I am not sure anymore. Cannot find anything on the net about it.
The pitch control is in the engine room and via a big bronze wheel connected to a chain I can control the pitch of the prop from there.
Does somebody knows about the system.
pics are under Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream

the pic for the bronze wheel is 1445 and the prop is 1427

well come Alan to the group.
I think take a pressure cleaner and take off so much you can and paint over the rest.
Next hull out you will see more clear and with more experience. Buy cheap antifouling.
Very often it works just fine. If not you dive and clean by hand with a scraper. It s a good sport.
Nothing bad will happen to the boat.

thanks
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:45   #905

Smile Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand View Post
I'd do exactly as the PO suggests, at least in the first instance: just scrape and repaint. That'll do the job. Maybe next time (a couple of years?), if you still want, you could take it back and reseal. But by then you'd probably realise that it's really not necessary.

I suggest this because lotsa folk, in initial enthusiasm, try to renovate a perfectly good boat into a better boat and end up spending too much time, energy and money in the yard.

Just check and repair/renew the important systems and gear where necessary and leave the rest for later. A qucik scrape and antifoul is an easy job - just do it and tick it off the list.

Once in a while - not that often mind you - I am able to impart such wisdom on the young ones. Thanks for that! :-)

Alan
Old 22-10-2012, 19:48   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
hello to the group,
Posted some more pics. Work every day 10 hours but having fun. North Carolina is full of friendly people. Compliment here.
I have a question about the prop. First I have been thinking it is a max prop but I am not sure anymore. Cannot find anything on the net about it.
The pitch control is in the engine room and via a big bronze wheel connected to a chain I can control the pitch of the prop from there.
Does somebody knows about the system.
pics are under Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream

the pic for the bronze wheel is 1445 and the prop is 1427

well come Alan to the group.
I think take a pressure cleaner and take off so much you can and paint over the rest.
Next hull out you will see more clear and with more experience. Buy cheap antifouling.
Very often it works just fine. If not you dive and clean by hand with a scraper. It s a good sport.
Nothing bad will happen to the boat.

thanks
peter

Thanks Peter :-)

Alan
Old 22-10-2012, 21:28   #907

Boat: Careel 22

For those FC knockers who believe FC boats can be had for a bad song, have a look at this beautiful 1994, $450,000AUD FC yacht. Pity she's too rich for my poor pockets Plus, she's biger than I need

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for something like this smaller, 43', older, 1971, FC yacht. This beauty has the asking price of only $69,000NZD...Now I just need to be extra nice to the wife to get the extra cash

Sure there are a number of FC boats on offer at a lower asking price but most of those FC yachts are in a similar ballpark as plastic boats when it comes to the asking price, $30,000 plus for a decent FG or...FC yacht.
I posted the links above because I thought people would like to have a look at a couple of real nice FC yachts but please...Don't any of you bods go buying the El Cheepo $69,000NZD FC yacht...I have first dabs on it
Old 22-10-2012, 22:23   #908

Quick update, for those who believe, wrongly, that FC boats will break-up if holed, neglected or hit by a floating log in heavy seas, have a look at this site and the pictures of WW1 and WW11 ships used as a breakwater on the Powell River in British Columbia, Canada.
BTW, Those WW1 & WW11 FC ships have been used as a breakwater for 60 plus years, no real maintenance, taking all that the British Columbia weather can throw at them, aparently the maintenance consists of pumping out the rainwater every spring
Old 23-10-2012, 00:38   #909

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
For those FC knockers who believe FC boats can be had for a bad song, have a look at this beautiful 1994, $450,000AUD FC yacht. Pity she's too rich for my poor pockets Plus, she's biger than I need "

Hi Bill, if you have ever watched the movie "The Castle". I'll have to repeat the famous line "tell him he's dreaming"

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 18:20   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Hi Bill, if you have ever watched the movie "The Castle". I'll have to repeat the famous line "tell him he's dreaming"
G'day Glenn,

Gotya mate, The Castle line it is but tell me...Which seller is dreaming about which boat, the 64' 7" 1994 $450,000AUD FC yacht or the smaller, 43', 1971, FC yacht $69,00NZD Could it be they have both found a boat buyers market that we don't know about. What do you think would be a selling price for say, the Davidson 43
I've been trying to sell my FG Careel 22 T/S for four month now and I'm asking no-where near the money being asked for those FC boats but I've had no bites yet
Oh well Glenn, summers is here...Almost so things may soon change in the boat buyers/sellers market
BTW Glenn, why did you and Jen choose Tasmania to winter over, surely North NSW or QLD would have been a better choice mate...Don't you know, it's warmer in both northern states mate...Heck Glenn...Even Geelong, Victoria is warmer than Tasmania mate
Is you're boat, CRAZY LADY, a FC boat or what, can't tell from the pictues mate but I'm guessing she's plastic (FG).

Cheers Glenn, calm waters and good wind/s,

Bill
Australia
Old 23-10-2012, 19:48   #911

Anyone here know who owns this FC Ketch It's supposed to be for sale but the advertiser dose not give any asking price. From the pictures I believe the Ketch to be in Mexico but I could be wrong.
Old 24-10-2012, 05:32   #912

Boat: looking
Talking Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Hi ferro lovers,as an owner for many years of an Endurance 40 built by windboats of wroxham uk.I can assure anyone contemplating a ferro boat built by windboats that they would be getting a boat built to the highest standards possible.Mine was built to Lloyds 100a1+ & I had never had a problem insuring her all the ins companies where quite happy to take my ££.
I sailed many thousands of miles in her & came through a full force 9 for 3 days in mid atlantic hairy,but completely safe.Like most people after several years I thought I would have a change.She sold very quickly & I purchased a Hallberg Rassy 42,a nice boat but I was never happy with her,so she was sold.After trying several other boats I have come to the conclusion that I want another Endurance 40 does anyone know of one for sale,not a homemade one but one built by windboats.
I am a serious buyer for the right boat.
PS my boat was built in 1974 & is still going strong presently being lived on by a family in the Med.(not for sale)
HELP AN OLD SAILOR.PLEASE.
stilroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 22:33   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilroaming View Post
Hi ferro lovers,as an owner for many years of an Endurance 40 built by windboats of wroxham uk.I can assure anyone contemplating a ferro boat built by windboats that they would be getting a boat built to the highest standards possible.Mine was built to Lloyds 100a1+ & I had never had a problem insuring her all the ins companies where quite happy to take my ££.
I sailed many thousands of miles in her & came through a full force 9 for 3 days in mid atlantic hairy,but completely safe.Like most people after several years I thought I would have a change.She sold very quickly & I purchased a Hallberg Rassy 42,a nice boat but I was never happy with her,so she was sold.After trying several other boats I have come to the conclusion that I want another Endurance 40 does anyone know of one for sale,not a homemade one but one built by windboats.
I am a serious buyer for the right boat.
PS my boat was built in 1974 & is still going strong presently being lived on by a family in the Med.(not for sale)
HELP AN OLD SAILOR.PLEASE.
Welcome aboard mate
Here ya go, have a look at these three Windboat Endurance 40's

Windboat Endurance 40 1:

Windboat Endurance 40 2:

Windboat Endurance 40 3:

They are a real nice boat so good luck with your quest and let us know how ya go mate

Bill
Australia
Old 24-10-2012, 23:52   #914

Boat: looking
Talking Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

Hi Bill,
thanks for that,good on yer. unfortunately the first one is a bit of a dog saw her some years ago she was for sale then.been on the market about 5 yrs (says it all)
The second one "on the forum"I have tried to contact the seller twice in the last month but so far no reply.
The 3rd one in curacao is under offer,not sure that I would want a schooner rig though.
However i really appreciate your taking time to look & if you come up with any more let me know.
Good Sailing Keith.
PS can you find one in the whitsundays for about 50000 australian dollars
that would be worth a few tinnies.
stilroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 02:38   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilroaming View Post
Hi Bill,
thanks for that,good on yer. unfortunately the first one is a bit of a dog saw her some years ago she was for sale then.been on the market about 5 yrs (says it all)
The second one "on the forum"I have tried to contact the seller twice in the last month but so far no reply.
The 3rd one in curacao is under offer,not sure that I would want a schooner rig though.
However i really appreciate your taking time to look & if you come up with any more let me know.
Good Sailing Keith.
PS can you find one in the whitsundays for about 50000 australian dollars
that would be worth a few tinnies.
G'day Keith,

Does it have to be a 40? There are a number of Endurance boats on YachtWorld and one of them, a 35, is in Spain. As for finding a 40 in the Whitsundays, I'll keeep my eyes and ears open for you mate

Calm seas and good winds

Bill
Australia

Tags
ferro