Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 22:14   #871

Re: Ferro Cement Hulls ?

I spoke with the seller and he said it was a hartley-Hood designed boat if that makes any difference.
Jryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 22:28   #872

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder View Post
I spoke with the seller and he said it was a hartley-Hood designed boat if that makes any difference.
I have never heard of a Hartley Hood but that don't mean there ain't one, you could try contacting Hartley and see what they have to say, or you could try contacting Colin Brookes Ferro Forum and ask his advice on the boat.
Good luck with everything but do be careful mate.
Old 07-10-2012, 22:34   #873

Thanks,

I am just up there one the weekend so I thought I'd start having a look at a few boats. Certainly in no rush but the only way to find a good boat is to actuially look at them.

I will jump on those resources and have a look and see if anyone has recognises it.

Though for the price it would be unrealistic to expect it to be a world beater anyway.

There is a 33ft O'kell that looked interesting however and at least that one is a known entity..3x the price though.
Old 07-10-2012, 22:46   #874

I guess you're refering to this Okell 37 with the asking price of $15,000.
If you contact the seller of that Okell, don't hold your breath while waiting on a reply to your email...He or she have never responded to my email inquiry of six months back...Perhaps the seller dosen't realy want to sell! I only wanted to know if the boat could stay where it was while I carried-out the required repairs but like I said...They did not respond

Bill
Australia
Old 08-10-2012, 00:26   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU
I guess you're refering to this Okell 37 with the asking price of $15,000.
If you contact the seller of that Okell, don't hold your breath while waiting on a reply to your email...He or she have never responded to my email inquiry of six months back...Perhaps the seller dosen't realy want to sell! I only wanted to know if the boat could stay where it was while I carried-out the required repairs but like I said...They did not respond

Bill
Australia
Yes, I have found that people selling boats are the most unmotivated sellers even if they are just letting them fall into complete disrepair. Then they want top dollar for their boat even if it's a total P.O.S.

But no it was a 33 ft Okell and yes, I am still waiting about a week to hear from them despite them dropping the price.

Tip for sellers, actually respond to enquiries and you may sell your boat :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 00:54   #876
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
here are some new pics.
Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream
Many thanks for your photos. I can really see why you are attracted to the boat. Under all of it is some really interesting stuff. Very glad the engine runs and that the tar was the stain and not the diesel.

You certainly do have a lot of works to do but the boat looks solid like a tank!

Are there any interior photos posted?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
I have never heard of a Hartley Hood but that don't mean there ain't one, you could try contacting Hartley and see what they have to say, or you could try contacting Colin Brookes Ferro Forum and ask his advice on the boat.
Good luck with everything but do be careful mate.
The Hartley people say no such thing so you are dead on. He did say that the PO told him and he wasn't sure.

I wish I just had the boat skills to pilot that 45 Tahitian in townsville home and I'd think about making an offer on that.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13   #878

Quote:
The Hartley people say no such thing so you are dead on. He did say that the PO told him and he wasn't sure.
I would give that one a miss, there are a fair number of well built FC boats here in Oz and NZ for buyers to chose from. True, they are priced well above $6,000au but remember, you get what you pay for...Most times
Quote:
I wish I just had the boat skills to pilot that 45 Tahitian in townsville home and I'd think about making an offer on that.
I don't know about the one in Townsville but this 45' Tahitian in Mangles Bay, Rockingham. WA, (that's about 3,500 km from my place ) looks to be good value for money and the seller says he's open to offers
I do not know where you live but I bet you live closer to those Qld boats than I do, and I hope you don't have the same or similar problem/s that keep me from traveling to check-out boats
Don't you have a seaman mate who could help you with the boat? Anyway, I hope it all works out for you...And me too when the time comes

Bill
Australia
Old 09-10-2012, 20:41   #879

Oh that Hartley in Rockingham is gone by the looks of it or it is no longer listed.

The other one in Townsville is here

Used Hartley Tahitian 45 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Been on ebay 3x @ 24K and didn't sell, needs work as it's been @ the dock for 3-5 years.

If I could liveaboard I'd think about it but it would need a big spend to get it back down to Sydney where you can't liveaboard without hiding anyway.

I would love to have a salty sea dog that was capable of helping deliver it but alas very new to the yachting game and I'm lucky to get a day or 2 off a week so boat plans are at the dreamers stage for now.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:38   #880

Quote:
Oh that Hartley in Rockingham is gone by the looks of it or it is no longer listed.
That Hartley in Rockinham, WA, is still listed but as it's so far away from you in NSW, I would give it a miss.
Quote:
The other one in Townsville is here

Used Hartley Tahitian 45 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Been on ebay 3x @ 24K and didn't sell, needs work as it's been @ the dock for 3-5 years.
If I could liveaboard I'd think about it but it would need a big spend to get it back down to Sydney where you can't liveaboard without hiding anyway.
That one on Yachthub is gone...Did you buy it J
Quote:
I would love to have a salty sea dog that was capable of helping deliver it but alas very new to the yachting game and I'm lucky to get a day or 2 off a week so boat plans are at the dreamers stage for now.
J In your situation I would look around for a yacht club to join, there must be a heap of yacht clubs in and around Sydney. That way you will learn a lot about sailing/boating and meet a lot of experenced sailors and I feel sure you will find a sailor mate to help you get the boat home when the time is right. Remember, you also need to find a mooring for the boat around Sydney, and finding moorings can be as hard as finding teeth in a chicken in most Ozzie harbours

As for myself, I'm a retired seaman (merchant service) of 70 come Jan 2013, I have no-where to be on any given day, so I can live on the hook where I please for as long as I please. North Qld, The Top End, SE Asia and NZ appeals to me but I can do nothing on buying another boat at present. Besides, I have to sell my Careel 22, before buying another boat
Oh well, as I keep telling myself, never run after a bus, a woman or a boat...There's always another one coming behind

Bill
Australia
Old 10-10-2012, 20:16   #881

Hah,

No I did not rush out and buy the Tahitian so looks like it's gone to a new home.

I seem to only like boats if they are > 2000 NM from my location and larger than 35ft :-)

No hurry from me, just browsing currently and will be trying to score some crewing but I would like my family to be involved and I'm not leaving them at home and going sailing so lessons and own boat is probably the most efficient path for me to take.

Not interesting in racing at all which is what the yachting scene in Sydney seems to be all about.
Old 10-10-2012, 22:20   #882

Quote:
Hah,

No I did not rush out and buy the Tahitian so looks like it's gone to a new home.

I seem to only like boats if they are > 2000 NM from my location and larger than 35ft :-)

No hurry from me, just browsing currently and will be trying to score some crewing but I would like my family to be involved and I'm not leaving them at home and going sailing so lessons and own boat is probably the most efficient path for me to take.

Not interesting in racing at all which is what the yachting scene in Sydney seems to be all about.
It is me that is buying this one ,just have to get it out of the water for a survey in the next week or so
cosmic pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:38   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic pete

It is me that is buying this one ,just have to get it out of the water for a survey in the next week or so
Cool, I think you will have fun with it, congrats on your purchase even if it is a ferro heap of junk that will fall apart if you move 10 ft away from the dock :-)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09   #884

Hi everyone,

This thread has been a very interesting read - taken me several days with all the detours to the links in various posts..=*^)

My lovely wife Jess and I are looking to buy a sailboat as we are aiming to move to Sweden permanently in a year or so (back for me, new for her). We're presently in Cambridge, UK area but with previous ownership of wooden (lovely, concourse condition) 28' double ender built '56:

http://www.christerart.com/Christer/LylaFlorine.Jpg

when living in Sweden in the 80's, we are mainly looking in Sweden where there are few FC boats around. Found a schooner on blocket.se:

Skonaren Baltica | Stockholm

but seller not very forthcoming in regards to who built it and how (designed by seller's father) - and it needs rebuilding of deck and superstructure and has a soft spot leaking water into hull which seller says occurred after setting boat on hard too late in the season and frost damaged the hull.

Interior lovely but price £29000, AU$45,000, US$ 46,000 is (as far as I am concerned) far too much for us to gamble on an unproven design - sadly as we do like the interior a lot..=*^)

Like someone wrote in a previous post - some sellers don't seem to be really *wanting* to sell their boats..=*^)

We'll probably end up with something like an L32 (proven design) and perfect for the Swedish west coast (we're moving to the Gothenburg area) - not the space in the schooner but enough for two, especially as it won't be live aboard..

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the thread and the kindness of so many willing to take the time sharing knowledge and experiences. I learned a lot and will buy the recommended books (you can never know too much) and I'll keep reading this thread..=*^)

Christer
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:30   #885

Quote:
Cool, I think you will have fun with it, congrats on your purchase even if it is a ferro heap of junk that will fall apart if you move 10 ft away from the dock :-)
lol i just happen to know this boats history along with the builder it will still be doing blue water cruising long after i am gone
cosmic pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro