Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 13:30   #1

Ferro Cement Boats

I am looking at a ferro motor sailor i have been in the marine repair biz most of my life but never had any dealings with ferro boats can anyone give me any first hand info about them ie strenght, long term maintance i dont much care about resale beacouse this will be my last boat i am concerened about the on going problems with ferro i have had wood glass steel and they all have there pluses and down sides how bout ferro
thanks
Mike
reelfunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 16:37   #2

Re: Ferro Cement Boats

I have a friend who is in the marine repair business who bought a ferro boat, stripped it to a bare hull, rebuilt it, and cruised on it with his family for a few years. He now has been living on it for years with his wife. He is not on CF, but if you send me a note to him I will send it to him along with your email address.

bsbearden@gmail.com
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 16:48   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive seen some I would love to own, and some I would not even spend the night on !All depends on the bilder, theres some commercial bilt ferros out there that are super well bilt, but theres a lot more home bilt ones that are not always the best thing around ! I would believe that the surveyer you get is the most important thing about buying a ferro boat!! he must know and understand ferro construction, good and Bad. I still have not crossed it off my list of boats to buy! If I find a well made ferro boat with my nessarary Items aboard I will jump on it ! just my 2 cents
Old 02-06-2012, 18:06   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8

If you can't insure it, don't buy it.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't no of too many Ins co. that will touch them. I was suppose to be crew on a delivery from Ca. to Hi. in 1990. The delivery skipper, who was a surveyor too, had it hauled and discovered fractures in the hull. It was supposedly built at a reputable yard in South Africa. They later started chipping the hull and it was falling apart.
Is there a reason you would specifically look for a F/C boat? There are many threads about F/C boats on this form. Just do a search. You'll find them much like the anchor threads...full of controversy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37   #6

Plenty of threads on this....and just a tad controversial.

I'm currently looking at boats and purchase early next year. I've looked at ferro because you get a lot of hull for your money.

However, the way I see it is ferro has one big major issue that crops up time and again and that is quality of build. I'm not sure anyone would specifically go out of their way to buy a ferro boat and a ferro boat only. As a future boat buyer I like the idea that you can get a big boat for a small price, but the majority seem to be self builds and they were self built for the exact same reason, lot of boat, little money. For me that rules ferro out and I've worked in wet trades for the last decade. I understand the materials and the construction process but I just don't trust the builder hasn't cut a corner somewhere.

Same can be said for any home build though, you get some good, some bad, but for my money I'm looking at a boat that has a good rep and proven build quality while still staying within budget. If that means going for 26 ft instead of 48 for a price then so be it. Piece of mind is priceless imo.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
spoken like a true American, and every purchase must include a Lawyer or a legal councal for support..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
spoken like a true American, and every purchase must include a Lawyer or a legal councal for support..
I really can't see what your opinion of Americans or their lawyers has to do with ferro-cement boats or their suitability for anything.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think it was to do with people feeling they need protection where ever they go. However, I know today, many Marinas will not allow uninsured vessels in their facility. Although liability insurance should be able to be had even by F/C boats. I could be wrong.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:24   #10

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

i own a ferro and love it!!! and yes, we also have it insured, and not just liability insurance. Just for the record, i have seen my fair share of dodgy steel and fibreglass yachts. Particulary steel splitting at the welds. All types of hulls have there pros and cons.
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro