Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:30   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Fastest time to double non stop circumnavigate the earth

I started dreaming about it when I was seven. Now I'm sixty, gonna be a few years yet.

Chuckles - Just how do expect to set a record of a double solo, unassisted RTW when you can't even figure out how to google a simple thing like hat the current record is? Just who do you think is going to maintain/repair your boat out there on the water?

If Jon Sander did a triple in 658 days, then a double would probably need to be done is say , 440 days?

It's great to have goals, and while I certainly agree with setting the bar high - some realism is needed.

One mans opinion, of course

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36   #17
cruiser

It seems really silly to climb into a vehicle capable of 7-8 knots at best and attempt a world speed record. Something only an oxymoron would try to do.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58   #18

Boat: others

non stop andunassisted means one you cannot stop. two you cannot use your engine for drive only for charging batteries and last but not least unassisted you cannot under any circumstances except help . food or water from anyone as it voids the circumnavigation. hope this clears it up a little oh and the govening body wants 860 £ to record the events ,its not on . im calling in to Sydney oz to give its lady mayor a gift from the people of Swansea in Sydney harbour then about turn and head towards new zealand and the cape Horn. anyway thats the plan,, regard tony
tonytheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:54   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I can not imagine why anyone in there right mind would want to go around the world and never stop to experince what there is to offer, little lone do it twice.
Part of me would like to sail RTW - just for the sake of it.

Non-stop just sounds like too much hard work / unneccessarily difficult .....but nonetheless an endless (never ending?!) circumnavigation does not appeal. Plenty of places I could find on the planet to spend a lifetime happily wandering around (on land and on water) without feeling the need to also go RTW or even to swap continents.

A RTW voyage with a finite end does have an appeal - maybe something with only 5 or 6 pre-planned stopovers (to replenish, repair and relax ) and therefore "fairly" quick. Lots of sailing and little sightseeing obviously, but a certain attraction (to me) in that approach. Maybe more of a (personal) bucket list item.......

Of course likely I will never be arsed .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

We're planning our RTW, and expect to heave anchor in about 4 years. We also expect to take 4 years (maybe more -who knows? Who cares?) for the trip. Everyone we have spoken to says two years is not enough - you spend most of the time looking at water.

We also want to spend a winter in NZ, revisiting. OZ sounds like fun for several months, and of course we will visit enough south sea islands to (hopefully) get our share of palm trees and beaches etc.

We plan on going via Good Hope, then St. Helena/Brazil/Bahamas/Azores and back to DK.

More to come as we refit the boat

Stay tuned

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

If you make it to Aus. the Gold Coast in particular, would be happy to show you around some areas which are away from the crowds and quite fantastic. Bucketeers should mingle.

Beaches like these for instance

Coops.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks coops. I'll do that. Right now I'm reading up on all the different kinds of wind rudders there are out there. Big Bucks!