Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:25   #1

Far Harbor 39

Just spent an hour looking up information about this wonderful design, and daydreaming about the possibilities of a container-sized boat...

For me, I'd like a very different keel configuration. And that mast looks stubby as a Bermudan, but just about perfect for a pole-masted gaffer. Or maybe a shorter mast, with a top-mast, plus a bowsprit of course. I wouldn't need such a cavernous boat - the design looks *huge* to me - but I'd love a shapely dragonish hull, maybe like an over-grown Dark Harbor 17.5 if the keel can be removable and less than 7.5' of appendage?

But then I end up with a day-sailor of nearly 40' to be shipped at moderate expense anywhere on the planet, which is about as far from the concept of the Far Harbor 39 as is possible to be and still be on the same concept.

But it's been a great hour of daydreaming. Thanks Bob!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57   #2
cruiser

Am:
many thanks for that.
It's not the boat for everyone but it sure made the client happy.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02   #3

Eyes of the beholder...

There aren't many people who'd look at the Far Harbor 39 and end up thinking 'Gaff-rigged Dragon, yah!' Most people probably see a beautiful cruising boat that can be pre-placed in exotic locations. I'm just weird that way.

Keep 'em coming!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16   #4
cruiser

Am:
I got plenty more where that one came from.

It's all about working with a demanding client and feeling good about the results. I have had few clients as happy as Bernie is with the FH. If I even begin to say anything less than positive about the boat he'll jump on me and say "You just don't understand the boat!".
Me? Not understand the boat I designed?
Oh well, bottom line is that he has thousands of miles on the boat and still is in love with it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:26   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Its easy to love a boat when you first buy her, but as we all know, the real test comes after you have owned her and sailed her for awhile. A brilliant concept (mind you, although aimed at an entirely different market, so is your FT10!). Bob to your knowledge, is anyone else designing sailboats that can be shipped in standard shipping containers and then readily reassembled? Seems to me they not only open doors for international cruising to an entirely new group of people, but provide for the most economical way of taking advantage of the lower labour rates in China.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:07   #6

Bob,

I saw the boat coming down the highway on a trailer in Fort Lauderdale recently. How many have the built? I love the design and the concept. Perfect canal cruiser for Europe.

Abaco
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20   #7

Bob...recently had Bernie and his wife at our docks here...I spotted them about 1/2 mile out and said waht the hell is that??!! As he got closer I remembered the press releases and figured it all out. They were very gracious and gave me a tour and it really is very well thought out for its' specific purpose...and well built...and Bernie is most enthusiastic about the boat and its' sailing qualities. I'd say you hit the bulls eye.
Quite a nice boat for two...wouldn't want more than weekend guests. Sets the imagination going when you realize you can sail anywhere in the world without crossing an ocean for about $7500 bucks water to water. Lots of folks BREAK more than that on a crossing to say nothing of the time and fuel.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34   #8
cruiser

We have built only two of the, One Bernie's and the other is in Alaska. I imagine it look a mite weird going down the highway.

Tags
far harbor 39, container ship