Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 22:27   #1

Fantasia 35 Information?

Greetings all!

After much searching for real info on these boats and reading through old threads I keep coming to the same dead end. It seems www.fantasia35.com is no more. Does anyone out there by chance have some of the information that was contained on that website? In particular these mythical "Bruce Bringham" tapes I keep reading about? I've been able to glean a fair amount from posts here and there, but I'm sure there is so much for info out there.

At least on paper these boats fit me needs better than anything else I've been able to find. My wife and I are looking for a moderately capable bluewater boat for living on with two kiddos for a year or two (or five) for under $50k (We would rather go smaller and sooner than wait for the Stevens 47 and maybe never go at all).

Quick background on me: Been sailing all my life, mostly coastal and in the Caribbean, back in my 20's held an 200 Ton Yachtmaster Offshore and a USCG 50 Ton Master Near Coastal. I ran 50 foot sloops in the BVI for a teen sailing/diving program were my wife also worked. I was Ships Carpenter on an 88 foot steel schooner during a couple refits and did some offshore sailing on the same boat. Sadly have been landlocked for the past few years and let my licenses expire (I know I know, I'm a dumbdumb). As much fun as water is in a frozen, crystalline form, the ocean calls louder and louder...

Thanks for the great resource!

-A

Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:46   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: Fantasia 35 Information?

I have a Fantasia 35. It is hull number 50. I got her new 41 years ago. I've cruised and/or lived aboard her for most of those years. She is currently under going her second major refit. Hoping to complete the refit in time to do the 2019 Baja Ha-Ha.

I remember the Fantasia 35 site you asked about. I can't think of anything from that site that was ever incorporated into or affected my boat. The info on that site was mostly of historical interest. How Bringham came to design the Fantasia 35 and how he was not satisfied with the design. A list of boats, owners, and locations. .etc.

I have been aboard 4 or 5 MK-I and MK-II Fantasia's over the years. Each one was a little different. Mine is right at the transition between the MK-I and MK-II boats. It has the keel and rudder of the MK-I, and the forward mast placement of the MK-II. Some have more teak inside and some have more head room. I got lucky and have less teak and more head room. ;-)

Good luck on finding your boat and I hope she gives you as much pleasure as "Feeling Good" has given me.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 19:55   #3

Viking,

Thank you for the reply. That is fantastic you have had "Feeling Good" for so long! I imagine you know every nook and cranny.

I didn't realize the mast was moved forward on the MKII's, thought all the changes were done below the waterline. Have any of the MKI's you have been on displayed this dreaded weatherhelm I keep reading about?

If you have/are willing to post some pictures of the the work you have done that would be great to see.

Any chance you know of any Fantasia 35 owners on the East Coast? We are still a year or two away from true, money in hand boat hunting but I would love to see one in person.

Thank you for you time!
Old 03-08-2019, 21:11   #4

East coast 1978 MK-I with modified full keel Fantasia for sale in Salem: Boat for sale - Fantasia 35 repowered Great Cruiser - 35'
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:58   #5

Thanks, not sure how I've missed that one
Old 15-08-2019, 17:07   #6
B_B

Hi,
We, family of four, kids 5 and 7 at the time, bought a Fantasia 35 Mk 1, sailed her down from Ft. Lauderdale to the Rio Dulce where she sits somewhat lonely but not forgotten. We hand steered the entire way (the hydraulic steering system needed replacing right before we left which ate our budget for autopilot) so take negative reactions with regard to weather helm with some acceptance that no boat is perfect and some imperfections can be overcome ... I would, however, highly recommend autopilot of some sort!

Lovely boat for the length. Unlike Viking the teak below, especially the dragon carvings, was a selling point for us. Much nicer than plastic fantastic. Teak above deck seems similar in the Mk2s - minimal. With regard to the decreased headroom, I'm 5'10" so was not inconvenienced by it at all.

The boats a big boat, heavy, slow, a little rolly polly, heavy...
But the wife and kids felt safe in her high centre cockpit which matters too.
I love the encapsulated keel, the easy engine access, store room, two completely separate cabins. Our boat has an L shaped galley while some Mk2's seem to have a linear galley - the L is so much less cramped and user friendly to my mind.

Don't worry too much about money - you could get a decent boat and sail her for a year or more for the $50,000 budget you're talking about (been there done that).

Feel free to ask me anything - I'm not an expert on Fantasia 35's but do know my boat pretty good

I wrote a bit about the boat and the trip here if you're interested.
B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 17:52   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Galley,
We have a Bruce Bingham boat, but it is a Christina 49 and a great boat as live aboard/cruiser. While yes it is heavy relative to today's hulls the hour glass hull shape provides a very sea kindly, non slamming hull which isn't that slow and something that will take you anywhere.

Many of Bruce's ideas about boat building are condensed in this book and is a good read.

We really like the Fantasia 35 and recently saw a MKI in the back lot of Deltaville Boat Yard. The hull looked ok but probably has been there a few years and we didn't look at condition of the deck, etc.

If we were to purchase as Fantasia it would be a MkII that addressed the weather helm issues associated w/the MkI by moving the rudder further aft on a skeg. To my knowledge the mast position remained the same in both versions. Bruce added a bowsprit to his boat (Saga), effectively moving the CE forward. We have most of the line drawings for these modifications done on Saga.

Here are 2 links for descriptions of the MkII. A CW review article and a blog from an owner of a MkII.

Also have an early "polar" w/some sailing speeds of the MkII (main and 135 genoa), but for some reason it would not upload.

Bill O.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mkII-profile-750.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	197927  
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 19:24   #8

I was able to get a mostly complete copy of the fantasia35.com site through the Internet Archive, with hopes of possibly re-creating the site one day. I do have the MP3s of the Bingham tapes if you want to hear them, it's somewhat interesting stuff. Send me a PM with your email address and I should be able to send them.

My F35 (Hull 57) is under refit right now, quite an extensive one, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to chat, I know pretty much every nook and cranny of the boat and where the problem areas could be. Mostly related to tankage - the black iron tanks and stainless would be due for replacement unless well kept after and it's a pretty big deal to replace them.

There are never a ton of these boats on the market at any given time, and I wouldn't bother with a MKI at all.
tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 07:22   #9

B_B, Bill O and tworail, thank you for the additional responses! All very helpful info, and great idea with the Internet Archive! I always forget about that site.

For anyone looking in the future here is a link to the Fantasia35.com archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150813....com/index.htm

Seems like most of the site is preserved, including the tapes.

Thanks again everyone!

-A
Old 18-08-2019, 13:32   #10

Boat: J/44

When I was I kid (10-12) my parents and i sailed from Seattle to New Zealand 1992-1994. We sailed on a Fantasia 35 named “Illusion”. The boat was huge inside for a 35’ boat, was in their price range and built like a brick. It also sailed like one, with the ability to point within 60 degrees of AWA. Depending on you current boat, you may be very discontented with the performance. Especially so we you see a big weather system swallow you whole or when you average 5.0 kts for 27 days from Mexico to the Marquesas. But if the Fantasia is the difference between cruising or not cruising, they by all means buy it and start living your dream! People have gone cruising on SO much less and SO much more. Best of luck!
-JPhantom
Family of 4 currently heading toward New Zealand on a J/44

S/V Phantom—1991 J/44 #45
JPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia