Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 19:20   #1

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer
Family of 4+2 on a Wauquiez Amphitrite

We are a family of four, girl (13), boy (9), and two dogs. I posted about cruising on a J44 a while ago, and concluded it was too much of a go-fast boat, not enough of a cruiser.*

This week we looked at a Seawind 1000, and as much as it hurts to say, the boat is too small for us.

Last week we looked at a Wauquiez Amphitrite. We liked it. But, we have a few questions/concerns:

- the boom was about 6'2" off the sole of the cockpit. I am 6'2". Not good. Is this just low on this particular boat? Is there any way to raise the boom without cutting the sail?
- it has teak decks. They seem to be in reasonable shape, but honestly the boat is 32 years old. Should we be concerned, or just setup for some work to deal up missing bungs and such?
- the reefer insulation seems thin, about 1.5 in on the lid. Cause for concern? If so, what can be done?
- finally, and maybe best for last, is this boat a dog? We know it is not a J44 or Seawind, but with the fin keel plus a spin and possibly mizzen staysail in light winds, would it still be a decent performer to windward? The sails are new.

Thanks everyone.

1982 Wauquiez Amphitrite Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428545936.013322.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	100151

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428545980.578054.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	100152

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428546007.946380.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	100153

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 20:54   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Family of 4+2 on a Wauquiez Amphitrite

My last boat had teak decks. They needed to be recaulked every few years. It was a lot of work, but not the end of the world. I did it. I hated doing it because it is 'running in place' maintenance-- a big time consuming project that was a distraction from more important things. Every time I did it, I had a list of things I felt were more critical to do.

From the photos, those teak decks look to be in pretty good shape. Like someone has recaulked and fixed the plugs that popped out in the last year or so.

Some folks with teak decks will just rip them off. A handful of owners of my previous boat did that. That's also a big project, but, maybe only about as much work as recaulking the decks. And then you are done and never have to do it again. A user here, Minaret, is, like, a god at this kind of boat project. And he is not far from you. Maybe he could give you tips, though he may just tell you how to do a better job than you want to do.

A boom that can hit you in the head is not ideal. Did you measure the height with the sail up? It may be that it was stored with the topping lift not as pulled in as it could be, and that with the sail raised, it'll be a few inches higher. I'm not sure how much it'd cost to get the sail cut a little (and raised) in your area, but it may not be much, compared to the cost of the boat. You could ask a local sailmaker.

A 'head whacking' boom is not something that'd keep me from getting a boat. But it would be a strike against it. You can be more conscientious with preventers and ducking. The boom on my first boat could whack me in the head if I was standing all the way forward. I was never whacked. I would still duck when I jibed, even if I was standing far enough back to be out of it's kill zone.

Both of my boat fridges have leaked cold around the lid. We [ghetto] fix this by putting a cut up foam pool float (or thick yoga mat or even towel) on top of the lid. This works. The bottom side of the foam is very cold when we lift it. More conscientious people probably make a new lid. That's not too big a deal to someone who is handy. If you're not handy now, you soon will be. So I wouldn't worry about this.

Sorry, I don't know anything about how that boat sails. That's probably the most important thing. Well, that and love. I think it's really important for the boat to make your heart go pitter patter. You have to like the lines. Because eventually it will make you mad. But if, even in the depths of recaulking the decks in the hot tropical sun, with cuts in your hands and black goop stuck in the hair of your arms and your knees aching from bending over on deck and sweat stinging your eyes and the back of your neck sunburned -- you can dinghy away from her and look back at her and just smile at the way she is beautiful as she floats at anchor and remember the amazing life and experiences she's helped you create and joined you with -- well, then you won't hate her so much that day. That's important. Don't buy a boat you think is ugly.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:04   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The most important considerations are hull integrity, mast(s), engine, wiring, plumbing, electronics, and their associated subsystems. You could exceed the value of the vessel if all needed attention/replacement. You need a top shelf surveyor before making a decision. The builder is one well respected around the world and the design is lovely.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 14:19   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Scott,

If it was me.... I would pass on any vessel with a teak deck!!! Too much hassle.

Think Amel dear boy!! :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 23:12   #5

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. What I have learned so far is it is a solid boat. Not terribly fast, especially in light air. We can have the sail recut to raise the clew a bit, and not have to raise the gooseneck. Still thinking.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:33   #6

Boat: Niagara 42

Ready anything you can find by Captain Fatty, he bought an Amphitrite a few years ago. There is also a member on here by the name of Ted Reshcoff (sp?) that is fairly active and may be able to give you advice. Finally there is: Le Monde des Amphs

Good Luck!
Drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:14   #7

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Will you sail with a bimini up in the cockpit? If you do, it greatly reduces the risk of getting hit by the boom, as you are already stooping to fit beneath the bimini.

If sailing south, I can't imagine not having one, but some don't like to sail with them up.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:22   #8

We spoke with Fatty yesterday, and he had good things to say. Solid, safe, comfy. Not as fast as his old boat.

Boat compromises are a pain in the arse.

We will sail with bimini up. That is an excellent point. Howv to put in a Bimini we would raise the boom a bit.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:41   #9

Those are great and well built boats. But getting long in the tooth for sure.
The boom raises up some when you hoist the main sail on most all boats. Let's face it ... on most any boat you have to beware of the boom no matter how tall or short you are.
If you have any room at the top of the mainsail you can move the boom up a few inches I suppose.
The boats have a nice looking underbody, I would think it's good enough sailor for cruising.
A bit of a "pirate ship" but I almost bought one once myself.
I love the interiors and the clean exterior look of wauquiez'. Like the big flat decks also.
An interesting note; in mid 90's the one I was looking at was listed at $137k, The one you are looking at is listed at $129k. not much depreciation....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Amel...............a beautiful boat. If I ever went back to a mono-hull that would be my choice.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:44   #11

I almost bought an Amphetrite 43 in 1990. Instead I bought a Gulfstar 50 in Fort Lauderdale. Within a few weeks of owning that boat, across the channel came Broom Hilda, the Amphetrite 43 I had seen in California and spent a lot of time on it. They are great boats. EVidently that boat did well and made the passage. They are not racers but they do go and are very well built. The only question is condition. If maintained, they are fantastic. So, as far as teak decks, I swore I would never own o ne. Now I have Nautor Swan 43 with teak decks. I love the boat, but not its deck. If theWaquiez passes a survey and you are satisfied with how it sails, then go for it. No boat is perfect, all have compromises." You pays your money and takes your choice".
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:06   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Mate, save yourself the pain and go with your original plan, an older plastic fantastic cat. You will find something like a lagoon 380 is huge compared to the Seawind. You'll pick up and older one or FP of similar size for the price of the mono you're looking at. The dogs will love crapping on the trampoline net and swimming from the transom without needing help in and out of the water. Your wife will love it, your kids will love it and you will love sitting back staring at your white fibreglass decks and imagining the poor sucker in the boat yard sweating while he replaces his teak decks or struggles to get the dogs in the dinghy to take them to the beach so they can crap, then has to get them back on board somehow...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 21:49   #13

Thanks again everyone. I think the two big unknowns at the moment are the engine and deck. The engine is original, 33 yrs old, 2200 hours. That seems low. Rebuilt perhaps, I will ask. It is a 65hp Perkins. Is that a concern? I have read they are easy to get parts for, and I have read the opposite.

Regarding the decks, I believe these are glued and screwed. Perhaps as bungs pop we can remove the screw, add a glue/epoxy/something and put a new bung on it. We have read at least one person doing that.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:03   #14

The one I was close to buying had a Perkins 4-108 in it. 2500 hours isn't bad on a Perkins. But it depends on general engine condition too. Squeaky clean or a pile of rust? Wonder if it has been replaced with a 65 hp one at some time?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 23:19   #15

We have one! Ours had the teak removed prior to our purchase. I'd look for water damage inside carefully and thoroughly, in the back of lockers etc. That will tell you a lot. If it's a leaker, the wood will show it.

We love ours, so well built! Ours is 40 years old and all of the cabinetry works like new. Internal access to the hull is good too. We have had it for a year, have done little sailing because of work but living on board full time and getting through the to-do list. We love centre cockpit / aft cabin as it gives you more space to get away.

Now of course I am biased. This is our second boat and we've looked at a lot pre purchase. Our first was a complete refit job and this boat refuses to throw up any dramas. It's just simple good quality and nice and roomy. But remember it's is getting old so wiring, plumbing, much of the external stainelss steel will need close checking or replacing.
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family