Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2015, 14:11   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Family of 4+2 on a Wauquiez Amphitrite

Boom height is always an issue, more so if your 6'2". Every time I've gone to a new boat I've tended to whack my head a few times until I became familiar with the boat and then it becomes second nature to move around without getting smacked. I wouldn't stress about it too much, the boom is already high enough off the water on a center cockpit boat, you don't want to raise it further.
I don't have a Wauquiez but I do have a center cockpit boat with teak decks and yes it's a pain to maintain, even when in good shape it has too much maintenance for me. Mine are coming off next year and the holes being filled, the deck redone, it's a lot of work but once done there's not the constant maintenance. The other reason is that models like mine also have a higher resale value when the teak decks have been removed, it also appeals to a broader resale market since very few people who do their own work want to deal with teak decks. How handy are you and how much are you willing to take on?

Old 14-04-2015, 17:50   #17
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

By way of providing balance, I love teak decks and on the boat we recently purchased, it was one of the things I was looking for. To be fair though, my tastes definitely run in the minority. I also wanted an all-wood boat (which we have) which coincidentally came with the teak decks.

Our boat has the 4-108 (late model - 50 hp) and I can definitely attest to the fact that parts for at least some models, such as ours are getting harder to come by. Many parts in our area need to be ordered from England. They are still available, it just takes a while. They seem to run forever though.

Happy hunting!

Old 15-04-2015, 07:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
By way of providing balance, I love teak decks and on the boat we recently purchased, it was one of the things I was looking for. To be fair though, my tastes definitely run in the minority. I also wanted an all-wood boat (which we have) which coincidentally came with the teak decks.

Our boat has the 4-108 (late model - 50 hp) and I can definitely attest to the fact that parts for at least some models, such as ours are getting harder to come by. Many parts in our area need to be ordered from England. They are still available, it just takes a while. They seem to run forever though.

Happy hunting!
I do agree with the 4-108, they run forever and are overbuilt for their output. They also tend to leak oil, but that too can be fixed, there are companies that offer an intake silencer kit that also help with crankcase vacuum as well to reduce oil leakage.
I plan to add the intake silencer, which will go a long way to quiet mine down, I also plan to pull the engine to rebuild it, not that it really needs it (only 4000 hours)but the rebuild kit is not that expensive and it would be stupid not to while it's out of the boat for seal/gasket replacement.

It takes a certain type of person to own and maintain a wooden boat, you have to really, really love the craft. My hats off to you, I don't have that level of patience and commitment.
Old 15-04-2015, 09:39   #19
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I do agree with the 4-108, they run forever and are overbuilt for their output. They also tend to leak oil, but that too can be fixed, there are companies that offer an intake silencer kit that also help with crankcase vacuum as well to reduce oil leakage.
I plan to add the intake silencer, which will go a long way to quiet mine down, I also plan to pull the engine to rebuild it, not that it really needs it (only 4000 hours)but the rebuild kit is not that expensive and it would be stupid not to while it's out of the boat for seal/gasket replacement.

It takes a certain type of person to own and maintain a wooden boat, you have to really, really love the craft. My hats off to you, I don't have that level of patience and commitment.
Yea, that certain type of person is called "crazy". Seriously though, I appreciate the comment. I think sailing in general requires patience and commitment. I really enjoy wooden vessels though.

There's a really beautiful Tayana 37 in the slip next to ours - not wooden, but made to look like it. In the end, it's pretty much about getting what appeals to us in particular.
Old 15-04-2015, 20:31   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite - 43' Ketch

Thanks again for the answers. I'll have to pay attention to the electrical. According to sailboatdata.com, the original engine was the 4-154. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3472

Yet another concern is the lack of visibility when down below. I'm thinking of when we are below doing something and the kids are in the dingy doing stupid kid stuff. Maybe I don't want to know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-04-2015, 09:54   #21

If you have small ones it's a good idea to put netting around the boat at the lifelines. On my previous boat I used netting used for baseball batting cages, you can get different square sizing depending on your needs, it's UV resistant and a buttload cheaper when bought online from a supplier for that type of netting. Marine suppliers buy the same stuff and mark it up accordingly.
My boys are older now so we don't have the netting on this boat but they do know that they never go on deck without a life preserver, it's a rule with no exception, even though they both know how to swim.
The netting can also work for you offshore, if you should take a spill while on deck, just make sure it's properly installed.
Old 16-04-2015, 12:34   #22

The kids are old enough, but our little rat dog (terrier of some sort) I don't trust without netting. She's a nut.

We are getting excited all over again to take a second look at the boat this weekend.

EDIT: Thanks for the netting tip!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35   #23

Following up on this thread, we bought the boat. We took possession two days ago. So far so good, as long as I don't look at the survey To Do list.

The kids seem to be doing OK so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1436024137.299720.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	104655

Old 05-07-2015, 10:57   #24

The list never ends. Kids help make the list linger, mine have disassembled about half of ours so far............good luck with yours

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-07-2015, 14:12   #25

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43

Congratulations! We love ours
Old 05-07-2015, 14:44   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The older 70s model with the low walk thru and aft lazerette had the 4.108 the later models had the 4.154. I owned hull #126 which had a Mazda block 4.154 which I felt was a better engine.

I remember Fatty thought my boat was ridiculously opulent when we bought her, but then of course he found one at no doubt a great price 5 years later.

I agree, one of the worst things about the boat is the cave you're in belowdecks. Of course can't beat the view out the aft cabin at anchor! One night sat warm and dry on the settee whilst boats dragged by on both sides between lightening flashes at 3am.
Old 05-07-2015, 18:00   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
Following up on this thread, we bought the boat. We took possession two days ago. So far so good, as long as I don't look at the survey To Do list.

The kids seem to be doing OK so far!

Attachment 104655

Well done, you guys.
Old 05-07-2015, 18:33   #28

Congratulations on your new to you boat. Great builder who always built high quality boats no matter the model. Yours will make a good home for you guys and a great cruiser.
Old 05-07-2015, 19:18   #29
KJB

Congratulations on your purchase
Old 05-07-2015, 20:45   #30

Thanks everyone. We are feeling ecstatic and daunted at the same time.

Tags
family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: