Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47   #16

Thanks - not only for the advice but for sharing your personal experiences with space/sailing/etc. Not only is it informing our search but it is also building my confidence that we can really do this! I especially like the image of my kids sleeping under all their stuff!

We're headed to New Bern, NC this weekend to look at a few boats that my husband has already seen once including a Tayana 42, Morgan O/I 41, Catalina 36, and a CSY 44. A pretty big size range, for sure, but I am of the opinion that we have got to look at several different boats before we get a feeling for our own preferences.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzigzag View Post
Quite honestly, I don't know the difference myself - just quoting hearsay, although I think the draft at 4'10" is the same............
Actually the original Morgan OI 41 desigm has a lower freeboard than the "Classic"; a 4'2" (or 4'3") draft; and a keel that is contiguous with the rudder. Like a full keel boat, it requires some way on an not overpowering the headsail to tack in light wind. Not huge feature differences, but present. Afterall, nothing goes to windward like a 747! Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Old 09-08-2010, 18:46   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
Thanks - not only for the advice but for sharing your personal experiences with space/sailing/etc. Not only is it informing our search but it is also building my confidence that we can really do this! I especially like the image of my kids sleeping under all their stuff!

We're headed to New Bern, NC this weekend to look at a few boats that my husband has already seen once including a Tayana 42, Morgan O/I 41, Catalina 36, and a CSY 44. A pretty big size range, for sure, but I am of the opinion that we have got to look at several different boats before we get a feeling for our own preferences.
Tayana 42 ... nice boat! If its in good shape that's the best of the 4 ... IMHO.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:14   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I will chime in that all are good and the Catalina 36 could be considered in the same group only because somehow Catalina manages to put a 40+ boat cabin inside a 36 ft boat. It is amazing. However they are all good choices - just look at them with an eye towards where can we store all the food and clothes and "stuff" that all 4 of you will want to take with you. The boat with the most storage areas behind the settee, etc., is the one to get. Living on board and having to constantly move piles of this or that in order to get to your bed or sit on the settee gets real old real fast. So get the most "family" boat not the prettiest boat.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32   #20

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I'd look for a Wauquiez Hood 38 or a Shannon 38. The trick is to find one of these under 100K that doesn't need alot of work.

The Pearson 39 should also be on your list. Not a sexy boat, but you can certainly find them in your price range.

It seems to me that you need a double berth aft so that you can put the kids in the v-berth, or one in the v-berth and another on a pilot berth or settee. All of the above boats have that.
Old 13-08-2010, 12:33   #21

Boat: Cal 2-46 Splish Splash
Family sized boat

Reba,
Just have to stick my oar in here. If you haven't looked at a Cal 2-46 yet see if you can find one near you and take a look. Most are ketches but a few sloops also. Interior layouts vary slightly but all have lots and lots of room (once had 18 aboard for a day and didn't feel crowded) and stowage, large, bright, airy salon, huge tankage, very comfortable in a seaway, easily handled in tight spaces (my current moorage requires that I turn 180* in a space only 10 feet wider than her LOA, not a problem), I teach sailing in Bandaras Bay, MX and have youngsters as young as 12 at the helm in good breezes. With the Perkins 4-236 she's an absolute fuel miser. She's no race horse but I've easily made 7.5 Kts with a 15-18 Kt. following wind flying Genoa, main and mizzen. "Splash" is not rigged for single handing but I have day sailed her alone with no trouble. Prices are all over the map and I have to agree with the above, plan on 20-25% refit costs. Mine were more like 50% but the purchase price was well below market. I'm happy to share more info if you're interested.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: