Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-03-2012, 04:57   #1

Boat: Adams 12
Thumbs up Ex Charter Beneteau - Anyone Bought One ?

HI there

I am considering buying an ex charter beneteau in the 95-2002 range. Im just wondering if anyone out there has made the purchase and what they think of it and maintaining the boat in general. Thanks!

Old 28-03-2012, 05:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: EX Charter Beneteau anyone bought one?

Many people have, including Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: MarkJ , who is pretty happy (overall) with his.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 03:08   #3
CHM
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 432
I have a Moorings 432. I haven't had any major issues. Good luck.
Old 29-03-2012, 03:20   #4

Hey Thanks alot! From what Ive gathered the charter fleet is kept in excellent condition maintenance wise, just need to spend time looking for the right one. Are there any tips youd have on things to look out for? Thanks again and happy days..
Old 29-03-2012, 03:21   #5

also how is keepimg up with the maintenance, is is costing and arm and a leg???
Old 30-03-2012, 03:02   #6
CHM
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 432
Ex charter boats can be outstanding or projects. Definitely get a marine survey and check for things that are known problems on these boats such as engines, windlass, hull damage, etc. As far as maintenance goes, it's really no different than any other boat of similar size in the same general condition. It also depends if you buy the boat directly from charter or if it is privately owned. In my case, the boat was in private hands for at least 10 to 15 years so a lot of upgrades were already done. Nevertheless, I still had a few things to deal with as you would expect unless you pay the price. The marine survey will generate a list of work to be done from which you can estimate cost and add that to the price of the boat. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 18:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: EX Charter Beneteau - Anyone Bought One ?

Seven years on with our year 2000 Beneteau Oceanis 461 ex Moorings 463 and she is a dream boat...........problems being an ex charter boat were limited to being handed over with a worn out well past its sell by date INSECURE (CQR) anchor - replaced instantly with a nice big Delta.

The surveyor was a joke (what do you expect when Moorings and Sunsail are providing say 90% or more of their business???) i had done a pre purchase survey myself and left a list of things to be fixed during the Moorings Phase out Program and they were 'missed' by the surveyor - what a plonker he got a copy of my list emailed to him.

Moorings were great though and fixed all the small points i had listed that were missed (most of the big ones were fixed as part of the M-PoP) AFTER we had taken delivery of the boat..............so it was out of their fleet and actually not their responsibility any more but they still wanted to see and were motivated to ensure that the boat was fully repaired/restored to my satisfaction . She was and is a great example of an Ex Moorings Boat.

The batteries are still in great condition. Last year we replaced the chain and gypsy and fitted a 12V Seafrost BDXP system in the big box....now we can have ice. Next year we will add aother 12V BDXP system in the small box so we will have a Real Freezer in the small box and a Great Fridge in the big box. We now have a full Raymarine electronics package (no radar as yet) and just fitted a nice big solid 1/1/4" S/S tubular hand hold / E120 Plotter guard on the pedestal. The Yanmar 54 HP N/A is running like a dream with 7,645 hours. The main is 12 years old and the Genoa 6 years old IDEALLY a new set of sails is coming up fast BUT they are still fine really - just getting a bit tired. We will get one or two more seasons out of them without any difficulties. They do needed some hand stitching now and again. I want to fit the Tides Marine track system ( prob next year......Then get a full batten main with lots of roach (the Moorings sail plan is a small main and small genoa) The cockpit teak seat tops are falling apart but we have TEK DEK (faux {plastic] teak) replacements at home to bring out and fit next year. Next year we will add another 400W of Solar we have 200W ATM and a Rutland 913 Wind Charger with the HRDi regulator which is great in 20+ knots of wind but not much good in the light stuff and a D400 is tooooo many boat dollars to be high on the list of things to buy soon.

Would we do it again YES for sure.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I have a Beneteau that finished it's Moorings contract and has been in Footloose for about a year now. The boats certainly get used hard, but I've been very pleased with their maintenance and upkeep. I've seen boats for sale by owner which are far more neglected.

The age range you are looking at means the boats will most likely have been out of charter for a a few years, even if they went from the Moorings into Footloose, so you also need to consider how it was treated by the previous owner. Also realize that if it went into Footloose, the standard for being turned over at the end of the contract is not as high as with the Moorings.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:56   #9

Boat: Beneteau 361 Oceanis Clipper
I have an ex Sunsail Beneteau 361. She had a fairly tough charter life in Seychelles. Main thing is to check rudder, keel and prop shaft and seals. The boats are likely to have been grounded a few times and dragged off beaches and reefs. Having a look at the boatyard which repairs the Moorings and Sunsail fleet can be helpful to get an idea of how good any repairs would have been. The boatyard told me exactly what work had been done to her over the years. Mine was probably the worst condition of the three that were for sale at the time, but in hindsight the more work I had to do, the better I got to know the boat. As it was my first boat I was very nervous, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and have a good boat at a fraction of the price. This is a great way to buy a boat particularly for first time buyers.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:39   #10

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
One often comes across the Internet experts running down production boats as serious cruisers and as for ex charter boats, well it doesn't,t get much worse. However, in my experience an ex charter boat can be a great way to acquire a sound yacht that has been regularly maintained. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but you can add new gear as required. My beneteau 40cc came from BVI yacht charters and sure the survey picked up a few issues which were dealt with by the owner as a condition of purchase. I used an independent surveyor who did a professional job and checked all the repairs for me before settlement. You can,t go past Florida and the carribbean for value especially in the sub 40 foot range. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 18:32   #11

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheers234 View Post
Hey Thanks alot! From what Ive gathered the charter fleet is kept in excellent condition maintenance wise, just need to spend time looking for the right one. Are there any tips youd have on things to look out for? Thanks again and happy days..
Gday
My 47.7 who was launched 2001, had no major issues and after soda blasting the hull for epoxy coating, found that there was no problems with blisters or defects on gelcoat. However had issues with through hull fittings, otherwords skin fittings and sea cocks. The quality of them was absolute crap. On the way from Sydney one of them snapped of and 40 knots head on, the cabin was filling with water! when you replace them care must be taken to get it right. Financially not a big deal. Parts (12 sea cocks and skin fittings) around AUD 1500 and the work you can do yourself. Also charter boats have limited electronics, no spinaker pole, no dingy+outboard, limited sail wardrobe. Easy if you buy your boat is Australia but more complex if you look over seas, however my mate just bought Bavaria 44 in Greece for 140k eoros and year of launch was 2005. bloody good value but the boat is over there and not here :O) Good luck!
Old 15-05-2012, 14:25   #12

Boat: Beneteau 373

Hi - I have just purchased a Beneteau 373 2004 for only $115k in Australia. Very happy. As per charter boats - crappy sails, timber work inside is fairly rough and cushions a bit worn. Have just replaced the windlass and the sea cocks will need doing soon. High hours on the motor (1700) but seems ok. Cutless bearing and folding prop are badly worn. Yes check for groundings very imprtant. Good luck
Old 16-05-2012, 04:22   #13

Boat: Nautor Swan57rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373
Hi - I have just purchased a Beneteau 373 2004 for only $115k in Australia. Very happy. As per charter boats - crappy sails, timber work inside is fairly rough and cushions a bit worn. Have just replaced the windlass and the sea cocks will need doing soon. High hours on the motor (1700) but seems ok. Cutless bearing and folding prop are badly worn. Yes check for groundings very imprtant. Good luck
Mate, have to correct you here..... 1700 hours is only just run in. Those hours are very low!
Old 16-05-2012, 04:50   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepeteus View Post
Mate, have to correct you here..... 1700 hours is only just run in. Those hours are very low!
I agree BUT the 'low' engine hours dont match a worn cutlass bearing and a worn folding prop dontyathink?
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:03   #15
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
I agree BUT the 'low' engine hours dont match a worn cutlass bearing and a worn folding prop dontyathink?
Could be right, but could also be a case of misalignment/imbalance on the prop end, which might have caused excess vibrations and fast wear on a cutless..

Just my 0.02$

Tags
beneteau, charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: