Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 12:22   #16

Boat: Oceanis 411
Re: EX Charter Beneteau - Anyone Bought One ?

I have been very happy with my Oceanis 411.
It is for sale now....
Old 29-05-2012, 22:15   #17

Hi. We bought an ex-charter Beneteau 50 -- 2003 retired after 7 years in service. Our experience has been excellent. After owning several boats over the years, it is my opinion that they don't wear out, they corrode. Our boat was fairly well equipped but basic. Over the last couple of years we have changed the canvas, replaced alot of rigging, changed the leather covers on the steering wheels, etc. The systems have been rock solid and we have had what i would consider a reasonable amount of gear failure given the age of the boat and the 6000 miles we put on her last year. One thing ... we bought the boat in Croatia -- the season is relatively short, the sun isn't as strong, and the wind blows reasonably -- even the Bora you can always find shelter from. Constrast that to boats in Greece that are beat up from the daily 35 knot Meltemi or the sun damage you find in the Tropics. If you can buy a charter boat from a place that is more temperate I would think you'll enjoy the cosmetics more than if you get one from one of the hotter countries.
Cheers ...
marina.alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 16:48   #18

I picked up a 1987 432 about 2.5 years ago. It didn't have much in the way of electronics, windlass or refrigeration but a great boat just the same. The best thing was the new Yanmar with only 288hrs.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 10:15   #19

2001 to 2005 Beneteaus had a problem with inferior through hull castings. We were eliminating some of the heads in an ex-Moorings 50 (glassing in the holes where the thru hulls were removed) when I heard about this problem. Advised the owner of this problem and he proceeded to break off 5 of the remaining 7 thru hulls by hand! Had something to do with de-zincification and on closer inspection the broken ones looked like swiss cheese.
Other than that, it has been a very good boat, excellent value.
Fiberglass1Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 03:03   #20

We have had our ex-charter Beneteau 50 for three years and have had very few issues. We bought it in Croatia -- which is has a very byzantine process for chattel transfer I could expand on if you want ...

As for the boat -- we have owned sail and powerboats for twenty plus years. For every part we have had that has worn out, ten have corroded or broken from lack of use. So for my money I'd rather have a well used charter boat than a lightly used private boat. Our Yanmar 4JH3 HTE motor just clicked over 4000 hours -- we've put 1200 of those on ... with not a problem at all. In contrast, my VM Motori Mercury Diesel had 700 hours on it when I needed to rebuild the top end ... so use is a big positive feature for me not a negative.

Without a doubt there will be some wear and tear issues ... and the boats are priced appropriately for that. Since we bought the boat we've 'de-chartered' it with things like new mooring lines and long-lines, fenders with matching fender covers, spinnaker, halyards, canvas spray hood and bimini, holding tanks, webasto, a max-prop, repainted the stripe, new electronics and LED running lights. All that stuff added up to maybe $15K -- far less than the $50K+ difference between a reasonably well equipped private boat and the ex-charter boat.

Some advice -- the tropical climes of the Carib are very hard on the cosmetics of older boats. Make sure that the boat maintenance was competently done (I agree the survey wasn't worth a damn & I paid nearly $1000 for it) -- the best way to judge this is to look at the engine, the wiring and see how well it was maintained -- was it professional or 'bayling wire & twine).

Also Greece -- particularly the Aegean it blows like stink there all the time -- force 6-7-8 nearly every day. A season in the Greek islands would count as three in Croatia in terms of wear and tear on a boat -- I'd guess the same Carib vs. southern USA.

Pick a couple of models you like and are in your price range, then go see 10-15 boats. Based on our experience, you'll likely be happy .....
marina.alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 15:40   #21

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Ex Charter Beneteau - Anyone Bought One ?

Just a comment on Ex Charter Beneteau"s if anyone is looking for project boats.
Last season I left my boat in Oyster Pond St. Martin and there I came upon an "elephant burial ground" of Ex Charter Beneteau's, some in rough shape, some not so bad. Boats ranged in size from boats in the 30 something range to 50 footers. Spoke to a local French guy who had just bought one and felt that he got a great deal. He did state some of the boats were loaded with mold. These were old Sunsail/Moorings boats I was told. Anyway just thought I would bring that to the forums attention in case someone out there has a lot of time on their hands. Might find a diamond in the ruff.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 09:34   #22

Re: Ex Charter Beneteau - Anyone Bought One ?

Good day, yes we did, and very happy with it. Better to have a well maintained boat then one that just sits. We know the whole history of the boat, and the owners have done a lot of upgrades. Maintenance always done annually too. The boat has been so well maintained, and no issues. We replaced the plotter, batteries, battery charger and enclosure. It's absolutly a dream boat. We are very happy with it
outdated52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, charter