Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2010, 07:39   #1

Boat: Finn Express 83 - Lorelei (27')
Send a message via Skype™ to topi
European Bluewater Cruisers

Hello,
I realize the topic about choosing which boat to buy for bluewater cruising is a often-popping question here. However, all the lists I have seen about manufacturers or models that people recommend, apply better to the other side of the pond.

Can anyone help me with a list of European boatbuilders for bluewater cruisers? Any special recommendations what I should be looking for?

The market in Europe is heavily tilted towards european boats, especially abundant are French, British and German brands of boats on the 2nd hand market. I want to buy a cruiser that suits my needs (around the world) but I want to carefully consider my options.
topi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 02:09   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I was in the same situation in that I was looking for an acceptable bluewater boat and the standard European bluewater manufacturer list includes:

Amel
Hallberg-Rassy
Malö
Oyster
Swan (older models)
Najad

the Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction list is heavily slanted (in my opinion) and I am a firm believer in the bluewater capabilities of the larger modern production lines of Jeanneau and the like for bluewater sailing. My circumnavigation will get going in March when I go through the channel in my Jeanneau 49, following another 49DS which has, I think, completed their circumnavigation.
Old 25-06-2010, 03:10   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
All the above are I think recognised as some of more 'solid' cruisers.
There are others - Contest are in the same grouping, as are Moody if you want 2nd hand.

Clearly we think Hanses (especially 461's:-) along with other medium weight yachts like Beneteau, Jeanneau, Waraquez, prove themselves perhaps quicker and equally capable - and certainly better value.

Enjoy the research
JOHN
Old 30-06-2010, 02:19   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun #244 "Aquarius"
Send a message via MSN to inSaNo
I own a Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun, its 32 years old (older than i am). And it still looks like new. Ive never seen such build quality on Bavaria, Jeanneau, etc..
From the exterior, to the interior, it's all in good shape.

Last year, i was asked to sail on a Jeanneau of only 5 years old, and the interior was faling apart. What a shame. Leaking window seals etc..

I'm a big van of HR, and yes the bavaria's are lighter, and quicker. But my Rassy is more stable, and i would sail her around the world if i have the chance.

Here some pics:

And the interior: (a bit messy, is tidy now..)

inSaNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 14:29   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
If you can aford Amel-good construction-well planned deck and interior -low maint. extereior-proven world traveler-easy to sail and comfortable-holds value.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 15:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
The HRs are very nice, as are some of the other Nordic yachts, however they come at a steep price. If they are affordable then fine certainly worth looking at, especially if you like teak decks as most seem to have.

Slightly cheaper and possibly older would be Moodys, Westerlys and the older Beneteaus and Jeanneaus which shouldn't be dismissed.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:56   #7

Topi I have the same problem as you , every boat I like is always available and alot cheaper in the states or somewhere too far from europe.

Maybe someone could shed some names of old scandinavian brands that might not exsist nowadays! I have been told that scandinavian boats make the best for stability and comfort , most people say go for swedish boats ... we all know about HR's, Najad ,Malo but what about the non famous boats that still cruise around???

sorry if i hijacked
Zoidzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:01   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In my opinion, modern production boats are as good. Ive been to HR's yard and yes they build a fine boat, but its difficult to see where the high price goes.( perhaps into swedish labour rates and dealer discounts!) The deck equipment is the same as say a Jeanneau, as are the hatches etc, ( and the engine, mast etc). Undoubtably you get hand built customisation of the interior, but that in itself doesnt make the boat stronger or more suited to the circumnavigation. Equally the under water profiles have started to look similar with the swedes slowly going over to fin and spade. ( and even a HR without a chart table!!).

In my opinion its like BMW and Toyota, both will do 150K miles, one will be a little more stylish etc.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:30   #9

If money is no object(!), then you can't beat Bowman or Rustler. Solid, proven designs that just keep on sailing.
If there is less cash about look at some of the old Rival's. the 38 has a great reputation or you could try Nicholson another excellent strong blue water boat.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaNo View Post
I own a Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun, its 32 years old (older than i am). And it still looks like new. Ive never seen such build quality on Bavaria, Jeanneau, etc..
From the exterior, to the interior, it's all in good shape.

Last year, i was asked to sail on a Jeanneau of only 5 years old, and the interior was faling apart. What a shame. Leaking window seals etc..

I'm a big van of HR, and yes the bavaria's are lighter, and quicker. But my Rassy is more stable, and i would sail her around the world if i have the chance.

Here some pics:

And the interior: (a bit messy, is tidy now..)

In some foruns have been asking for opinions about HR's and NAJD, i have your opinion, something like french boat are the "Citroens " of the seas and Swedish boats are the VOLVOS.
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:38   #11
Nearly an old salt

your right Citroens are better cars then volvos. Volvos reliability records are sometimes appaling and their NCAP crash tests arnt as good as people beleive. Here in Europe most volvos are seen as old slow and crummy design( like most bluewater cruisers) , which is why the carmaker struggles.

Dave
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Fisher

If your looking for a Pilothouse and they're in your price range.... these are very much woth looking at 34 - 46ft..
Fisher 34 Boats for sale UK, Fisher Used boat sales, Fisher Sailing Yachts For Sale Fisher 34 - Apollo Duck

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:01   #13
Nearly an old salt

have you tried sailing Fisher, yes seemingly strong boats , but you know what the say about motorsailers, and the 34 is a very small boat inside IMHO, too much given over to the pilot house.

Dave
Old 25-09-2016, 12:11   #14

Re: European Bluewater Cruisers

The Fisher 34 is faster than she looks and ideal for Nordic waters
LondonFisher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 13:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: European Bluewater Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFisher34 View Post
The Fisher 34 is faster than she looks and ideal for Nordic waters
I'll agree with that.. the bigger Fishers are not bad at all.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote