Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2016, 14:08   #16

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: European Bluewater Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In my opinion, modern production boats are as good. Ive been to HR's yard and yes they build a fine boat, but its difficult to see where the high price goes.( perhaps into swedish labour rates and dealer discounts!) The deck equipment is the same as say a Jeanneau, as are the hatches etc, ( and the engine, mast etc). Undoubtably you get hand built customisation of the interior, but that in itself doesnt make the boat stronger or more suited to the circumnavigation. Equally the under water profiles have started to look similar with the swedes slowly going over to fin and spade. ( and even a HR without a chart table!!).

In my opinion its like BMW and Toyota, both will do 150K miles, one will be a little more stylish etc.
You forgot to mention the most important factor of the price difference and that's how they're actually constructed. The expense is in the construction of the hull which includes a lot of fiber-glassed stringers, bulkheads, furniture.......which makes for a stiffer/stronger boat. It's a matter of preference as to what you want out of a boat.
Cheers

Old 25-09-2016, 15:40   #17

I sailed her at 9-10 knots the other day in great comfort. She is very heavy and slow getting off the mark but sails very well on all points of wind. The accommodation is from a different era, with teak everywhere and a place to store your Navy Rum and crustal with elegance. In a storm, she is a safe 34 footer as any boat of her size and has so far looked after me well. There are many examples that have sailed far and wide.

Old 25-09-2016, 17:05   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFisher34 View Post
I sailed her at 9-10 knots the other day in great comfort...
Fantastic!... as in fantasy.

LWL is just under 30 feet, hull speed around 7.5 knots. 10 knots seems a bit optimistic to me.

Jim
Old 26-09-2016, 08:05   #19

It is true the hull speed is 7 knots and it usually cruises at 6.5 knots. However on that particular day we were helped all day by tides and currents so managed the faster speed not fantasy but fact
Old 28-09-2016, 01:51   #20

The other day I was on a flight from Amsterdam to Dubai, and the Airbus A380 was doing 1076km/h over ground. Amazing.
The Mach-number was, of course, well under 1, we were helped by a healthy tailwind.
One can make 15kts in a bathtub if the current is right :-)

I am more or less in the same position as the OP, and given the chance would likely look at a HR49 to live on and cruise with, but alas, budget falls short in my case.
It seems Jeanneaus of the 80-ies were well-built boats, and there are still plenty around.
A step up, there are some interesting Moodys, and a name I haven't seen in this discussion is North Wind.

Amels are great cruising boats, but if, like us. you,like to cook, you may find the galley on the Maramu and Santorin a little wanting.

I find it also quite exceptional if you find an older boat with rigging and sails that don't need replacement sooner rather than later, the cost of which is not insignificant.

Just some random thoughts,

Best,
Jack.
Old 28-09-2016, 03:05   #21

"...You forgot to mention the most important factor of the price difference and that's how they're actually constructed. The expense is in the construction of the hull which includes a lot of fiber-glassed stringers, bulkheads, furniture..."

imho the REAL quality-difference between (grp-)boats lies first & foremost in the quality of the molding & the hull/deck-joint - both of which are ABSOLUTELY INDESCERNIBLE for any of us, particularly in a used boat. pretty much all of us are more or less "deceived" by the APPARENT quality of the boat: the quality of the fitout/carpentry, of the tidyness of the installations, the "feel" of quality. & while basically the assumption "what you can see points to what you can't see" is very often right: there was a time in the past, when HR's moldings were chopper-gun-only & I know of a yard aspiring to HR's standards (& prices) that just a few years ago used orthophtalic resins in their hulls...
(& which kind of mistakes happening at the verymost prestigious yards can "happen" we could see a short while ago off the spanish southcoast...)
& I still vividly remember the screech of the gelcoatplaner eating into the made-by-a-prestigious-french-yard-hull standing on the hard next to us in Whangarei because it had a bad case of osmosis & the owner telling me that the then still-alive french yard-founder brushing him off when told about it : "osmosis? whats that? it's unknown to me!"
Old 28-09-2016, 03:46   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: European Bluewater Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Fantastic!... as in fantasy.

LWL is just under 30 feet, hull speed around 7.5 knots. 10 knots seems a bit optimistic to me.

Jim
LOL... I've done 14kts in a old steel 30ftr on a spring tide going from Gurnsey to Cherbourg.. gotta love the tides round the UK/N France..
When in your favour..

"The superior sailor uses his superior knowledge to avoid situations requiring his superior skill."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:33   #23

My point entirely,nothing wrong with an Airbus a great plane but not as fast as an F15. As I have said Fishers make great cruising boats, unless you want an F15. The old argument about sailing quickly out of trouble rarely works when your hundreds of miles from landfall!
Old 28-09-2016, 13:46   #24

Boat: Moody 49

There is a beautiful refurbed Moody 46 I have seen for sale. Excellent cruiser.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: