Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2007, 13:12   #1

Boat: Ericson 36C, Cutter, Kasidah
Ericson 36c Cutter Sailboat

We purchased an Ericson 36c Cutter last year in October and will be bringing it up from Connecticut to Ontario Lake this spring to do some minor refitting. She is in wonderful shape (thanks to the previous owners). We wanted to find out if there were any members that might have this sailboat and are willing to chat with us a little about it. Would love to hear from you.
Old 26-01-2014, 22:41   #2

Boat: Samsom C-Strutter 46 Ketch
Re: Ericson 36c Cutter Sailboat

Hi, there. Crazy how nobody ever responded to this post. Well, I will. I've been looking through your blog. thanks for taking the time to share! I have my heart set on owning an E36C. we have a 6 year old and its seems to be the perfect liveaboard for us in every aspect. If you here of any coming up for sale (or sail) in the Pacific Northwest send them our way!

Adam of Lopez Island
crunkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 20:30   #3

Hi, just saw your post. I owned a C36 for about 18 years and regret letting go of it. My wife had some bad feelings for the boat that related to a previous relationship with another woman! I would buy another C36, but she has a memory that just won't let go.
I bought the boat in 1979 and she had just been returned from Australia for the bank of america. Scoundrels had purchased the boat new and sailed for 2.5 years without making a payment. I have also considered this tactic over the years and can't necessarily say they were wrong. Especially in light of the recent attitude in real estate in the US where people just walk away when it isn't worth what you owe for it. I wander!
I sailed in the SF Bay for 10 years, 5 years in S. Cal, and then 5 years in Puget Sound. I always felt the boat was very capable offshore. Stable, stiff, and strong. I love the cutter rig. I didn't have a roller furling system and personally still prefer hanked on sails. I had a couple of small children eventually. The weather in the NW generally meant that the kids and dog were below, which meant my wife had to be below. and that left me standing out in the wind, rain, snow or whatever for long stretches. We finally opted for a pilot house and sold the Ericson.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
rickrohwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 16:21   #4

Ericson 36c Cutter, Hummingbird, SF Bay

My wife and I sail an Ericson 36c cutter on San Francisco Bay and the boat is a very capable and steady sailor. We have owned her for 2 years, having purchased her from a friend, the second owner, who still sails with us and owned her for over 20 years. As both he and I have a preference for doing maintenance that is within our skill set, we share a good knowledge of her construction and her systems. Generally, she is as originally outfitted, with the exception of being repowered in 2003 with a Volvo Penta diesel.

I believe that Hummingbird is hull #11, built in 1977, during the early phases of the production run. I have read that 61 of these boats were built and in searching the web, I can find reference to about 10 that are still sailing. Although I am a bay sailor, many 36c's are Water boats">blue water boats and their owners indicate that they are very seaworthy. We are very happy with our boat and look forward to many more years of happy days on the water.

Tim (and Sandy too!)
Hummingbird, SF Bay
Ericson 36c, Hull #11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1110
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	87736   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	808
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	87737  

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	1226
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	87738  
Capn Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 08:43   #5

Hello,

Still here?

We bought our 36C this summer and try to make it ready for a long trip to the south...
We'd like to exchange few point of views with a 36C owner...

Many thanks for your feedback,
Chris & Patricia
Headingbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 15:37   #6

For anyone that reads this, I'm a current 36C owner in Berkeley, California (San Francisco Bay). I'm always looking for others with this unique boat and would love to swap tips and stories.

contact@shane.gg is my email address. Let's chat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201007_104654.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	224820   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3119 (1).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	224821  

singlerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:27   #7

Boat: Dolphin 17C, planning stage for Marples DC3

Pardon the thread revival, but folks might be interested that Captain Q reviewed a 36c this week.

https://youtu.be/A4-N9C2FJBo
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 07:28   #8

Hello

I have purchased the boat captain Q highlighted!

She’s being trucked from RI to Pensacola Florida next week.

Owner says this boat was in Alaska then he bought her in Washington state then he moved her to Portsmouth RI

Does anyone know of her history in Alaska?

Jeff Carlton
Pensacola FL
That Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 18:08   #9

I’m currently looking for a 36c. The one on Capt Q is awesome! Great score. I live in Alaska and I’m hopeful to find one in the PNW or farther south on the west coast.
Path Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:30   #10

Anyone know any history for the Ericson 36c "Skylark" in Toronto? There is an ad that it is for sale and I'm interested but would like some additional information in case there are some known issues about this boat.

From what I can piece together it was on the hard between 2013-2019 then purchased from instagram posts it looks like some repairs were needed and there are photos of it in the water, the last one was posted in 2019. Now it is for sale again.

I am asking this group as there are only few of this boat left that are still active and the owners tend to keep touch with each other.

Thanks.
elguapo1072 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, ericson