Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 14:50   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Ericson 35 Mk III

Is there anyone that can give me first hand knowledge of this boat? There is one nearby I'm thinking of buying.

I raced sailboats for 15 years or so but, I'm not so much into racing these days. I would just like a bit more performance though and a decently built faster boat.

First long cruise would most probably be on the Bristol though for any beginner cruiser or small full keel monohull guy reading this.

The Bristol draws 4' ...... the Ericson 6'2" and I'm a beginner cruiser but long time sailor/boating guy

I would just enjoy the speed while cruising/ day sailing in the the bay
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 15:02   #2

Boat: Creekmore 36
Re: Ericson 35 Mk III

I raced one for a few years. Great boat for whatever you want to do.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 15:17   #3

I have owned an E35-III for many years. It was and is a quality boat. The biggest issue you need to look for when purchasing is possible grid cracking under the mast step and water penetration in the decks (soft spots). My boat had a cracked grid and I have heard of others. It is repair that most yards can do effectively. It sails well!

As always with a boat of this age, rigging and systems should all be examined closely.

If you have specific questions please PM me.

Matt
Wind Chaser E35-3 #187
mmlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 15:20   #4

Thanks.

Here is the boat and if you look at the cabin sole there is some discoloration ...........

Otherwise it is loaded with new sails etc but an old engine.

1984 Ericson 35 Mk III Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 15-07-2015, 15:39   #5

Thomm,

That is my boat with the addition of the bright work over the combings. I redid my sole 2 years ago. Not a small job, but, very rewarding when complete. I had similar stains on the starboard side sole due to a fresh water line leak.

There appears to have been water intrusion evidenced by the stains along side the port lights. There is access to the dog house rails from below through the head liner. Need to be really careful with the zippers.

All in all it looks to be well maintained. If it is powered with the original Universal there is great support through Moyer Marine. I also belong to the Ericson's Owners group and you could not ask for a better group....

If you have questions....

Best of luck,

Matt
Wind Chaser E35-3 #187
mmlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 15:43   #6

Maintenance & Mechanical
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:14   #7

Thanks for the info..............
Old 16-07-2015, 08:20   #8

When I met noted sailor, Webb Chiles, he told me that his first unsuccessful attempt to the Horn failed because his Ericson 35 took on water from where the 2 hull halves join.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:20   #9

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
When I met noted sailor, Webb Chiles, he told me that his first unsuccessful attempt to the Horn failed because his Ericson 35 took on water from where the 2 hull halves join.
That would be a Mark I. Ericson 39's are also built that way. But not E-38s, or the others with the grid system (E35 MK III, E34, E32 MK III, and E30+).

E-35 Mark III has a separate stall shower and a fairly large galley, twin propane lockers, and good engine access. Cabin sole is pretty thick, so a careful sanding and refinishing can bring that main salon back, if there is no delamination. Also check the large fixed port lights for leaks. We had two E38s, they were great boats. Fuel tank under aft berth (aluminum), stainless steel water tanks under settees, plastic holding tank. Gel coat quality is pretty good, that hull will come back using 3m Zirkit 3000 wet or dry, followed by compounding and wax. Rudder stock is stainless pipe, about 3 inches in diameter, bronze rudder bearings in hull and cockpit floor. Make sure rudder is straight, I have seen them warp from hot sun, if left out for years. Sailing wise, a bit tender, then they hit a groove and run well to weather. The Universal engine is most likely a marine conversion of a Kubota, and the transmission is a Hurth, both robust.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:27   #10

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

What is the bridge clearance on the 35' MKIII?
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:23   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you're thinking of serious cruising, & the model has a history of it's structural grid cracking from typical mast loadings, Pass.
As when you're cruising, there will definitely be times when you get caught out in weather which heavily stresses the rig, & all of it's components. And heavy weather is Not a time when you want to be worrying about your boat's structural integrity.
Falling off of waves which don't have backsides, in F8+ conditions tend to make those little doubts in the back of your mind, Grow

That, & you'll also definitely have some "real estate arguments", AKA groundings. Which, it goes without saying, are hard on a boat's structure. In this case, the grid. Which makes for more breath holding moments. Along with extra haul outs... even if you have a lucky charm, & they turn out to yield little.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Webb Chiles owned an Ericson 35 but that wasn't the boat he tried to sail around the world that developed the hull issues. His was an IOR design of around 37'. There have been reports of hull problem with athwarship cracks and subsequent leaks from an Ericson 39 the had been sailed hard as well as Chiles' boat. Don't know if it was a common design issue with these IOR boats of that era but both boats date from the same time frame. The E39 was repaired and continued on an extensive cruise.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson