Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 07:20   #1

Equipment Trailer for Boat

Hello. I have a sailboat transportation question. I’m in western New York and looking at buying a project boat to work on at my property, and I’ve received a few quotes for moving the boat here. It’s about a 370 mile drive for the boat I’m currently looking at, 99% on highways. The quotes are consistent, around $2500 each. I’ll also need to move the boat to a marina when I’m done (a few years--retirement project), roughly 20 or 30 miles, but easily another $1000 or $1500 from the discussions I’ve had with shippers. I researched buying a boat trailer, but I couldn’t find anything I would trust for a price that would justify it over just having it shipped. Then I came across these pictures I’ve attached of an Alberg 30 on an equipment trailer. I researched these trailers and there are a lot around, some used for a couple thousand dollars, and some even brand new for $4000. They have the weight capacity. I know 8’6” is the legal width limit. In my case it would be about three inches over the limit—I’m still deciding if I’m going to worry about that. My bigger concern is simply whether this is a safe way to do it in general. Do any of you have experience with this sort of transport? Is this common, or is this just stupid? I’d strap it down a lot more than in the pictures, and bolt the stands right to the trailer deck. I’m attracted to it because I could get it to different areas of my property easier than a commercial 45’ hydraulic trailer could, and I could move it periodically if the need arises. Also, when I’m done working on the boat and tow it to the marina myself, I could sell the trailer and recover a chunk of that cost. Thoughts? Thanks so much, Dave.
Click image for larger version

Name:	picalberg30102a.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	143323

Click image for larger version

Name:	picalberg30102d.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	143324
dgp9794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:25   #2

Re: Equipment Trailer for Boat

I wouldn't call it stupid, but you need to be really, REALLY sure that you have the boat well supported, and well secured.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:00   #3

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Make sure weight capacity of trailer is sufficient and be careful to balance the load without too much tongue weight. Stands should be welded together or better yet just have a cradle made.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:10   #4

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

I was looking at a 40ft. lowboy gooseneck for my boat for the same idea and being able to move it when and where I wanted. I was thinking to modify the deck with some plate so I can place supports and weld them in place, grind them off and re weld when needed. If your worried about 3 inches, a carrier with a wide load permit can move it pretty cheap if your providing everything ready to go.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:16   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My first question is what kind of boat do you have? The Alberg on the equipment trailer, I BELIEVE, was probably only used for short slow trips. I say that because I researched this for my own boat. The max axles can handle is 5k pounds, tires 3k each. So if a boat weighs 10k it would not be safe going down the highway. I actually got a strong trailer for my 8500 lb boat, but even though the axles were 5k I figured if I had a blowout things would not go well. So I used the trailer briefly to carry my mast around, then sold it. You have to remember the hitch, axles, tires etc are rated for gross vehicle weight, which includes the trailer weight. A trailer guy said you have to figure in the inertia that will strain the trailer when you go around corners or through a pothole. THAT being said, I have seen a Triton that was trucked across the country on one of those trailers..
Now, if I were to get a trailer for my boat it would be a triple axle, flat bed with a cradle for the boat. That way you can use the trailer for other things. A fifth wheel would be better too.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 19:00   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

It's doable, but if anything isn't up to snuff you can lose everything. Boat, trailered and truck. It's rare but on homemade jobs it does happen. I watched it happen a few years back.
Quite scary especially since I often have a trailer following me.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 19:41   #7

Boat: Formosa 41

I don't know how common this is but I did it.

I live I'm MA and had a deposit and a contract on a Albin Vega in Jacksonville, FL. I went online and got some of the data on the Vega. The owners manual illustrated either the center of gravity or the center of bouyancy.
I figured I wanted that point about midway or slightly forward of the midpoint between the two axles. I calculated that I needed the tongue of the trailer extended about 15" longer than the stock tongue length. I ordered an equipment trailer from Kaufman Trailer in (I think,) NC. The trailer was about $2500. including the extended tongue.

Here's what I was up against: The Vega is 8' wide and weighs about 5080 lbs empty. The total capacity of the trailer was 7200 lbs. ((2) 3600 lb axles). The trailer, empty, weighed about 2000 lbs. To that trailer I added seven poppets or boat stands, three on each side and one up front. I placed them after scaling a drawing of the Vega and bolted them to the wood bed of the trailer.

As it turned out the deal on the boat in FL fell through and I bought a Vega in NY state instead. When I hauled the boat in the Fall the boat fit nicely on the trailer. I hauled the boat home 125 miles.

The next Spring I hauled the boat from MA to NC and we installed a Beta diesel in it. From there, back to MA, and later 125 miles down to CT to relaunch.

The beauty of having the boat on a trailer is that I can move it when I want. I could bring it home every year and work on it. It saved me winter storage fees and was definitely worth it.

I also moved a boat that was overwidth. Would you like to hear that story?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:54   #8

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I stored and worked on one of my boats on a trailer at home and launched each spring at a different location. You have to drive like you are flying anticipating slowdowns, turns, and stops lon-n-n-ng before they occur. Great way to own a boat though. I wish I could do the same with the one I have now.
Old 18-03-2017, 09:16   #9

Boat: Paceship PY23K

I have a Paceship 23K on a wooden cradle next to our lower garage.
As I have been working on the boat I ponder getting a trailer.
The boat weighs about 2600 lbs- lets say 3000.
Since the boat yard does not allow wooden cradles I need to obtain a metal cradle or trailer.
I have considered a dual axle equipment trailer with welded stands to transport the boat 50 miles each way to the marina.

While I know this boat is not as large as the boats mentioned the 50 miles includes some hills and winding road.
I think the dual axle would give a bit of a safety buffer.

At the present time I am not considering a trailer specifically made for a keelboat due to cost
bcc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 09:18   #10

Nothing wrong with an equipment trailer as long as it's rated for the weight. You don't say what boat. But I would want to weld supports to the trailer properly. Then you still need a big truck to tow the boat assuming it's of some size. Then when you are done 3 years down the road, will the trailer need new tires from sitting? All in all, I would get the boat transported and get to work on that rather than messing with trailers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 10:08   #11

Boat: J/42

Chaining a cradle to a flatbed is a fairly common procedure. I've moved my boat that way a couple of times, on a trailer that I already use for my farm. I wouldn't just use a collection of loose stands, as shown in the photo. The yard still charged close to $1000 each way to on/off load the boat and the mast. The practical weight limit is probably 8 - 10,000 lbs, without going over combined gross vehicle weight limit that will require a CDL. If you need an over-size permit, especially if multiple states are involved, get it from a trucker's agent. It's quick, cheap, and painless, compared to the torture and resistance that the bureaucrats at the DMV put up.

The lower the trailer, the better. One interesting idea I've seen was a low-boy heavy equipment trailer that had a keel box welded in the middle, so the keel was only a few inches off the road. I almost bought it, but it was in pretty poor shape, and came with a decrepit project boat on it!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 10:15   #12

Oh yeah... while I was sanding and painting the bottom in the yard, the cradle was removed and it did look like the photo, with movable stands holding the boat. It didn't look like that going down the road.
Old 18-03-2017, 11:07   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

The pictures included by the OP are genuine and were taken by James Baldwin of Atom Voyages. It was a USA coast to coast trip. Here is a link to the article he wrote about fitting out the trailer and towing truck.
Old 18-03-2017, 11:18   #14

Another issue with using a car carrier like that, is that my boat overhangs the trailer front and back. The back was not an issue. The front was OK only because I have a flatbed truck to tow it with. The bow hangs out over the tongue and the edge of the flatbed. There was not clearance to tow it with the diesel suburban, for example. A pickup truck might be in a gray area, in between.

But I only went through all that because I already had the trailer. If I were going out to buy one for just that purpose, I'd look for a dedicated sailboat trailer. They do come up on craigslist from time to time.
Old 18-03-2017, 11:35   #15

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Another issue with using a car carrier like that, is that my boat overhangs the trailer front and back. The back was not an issue. The front was OK only because I have a flatbed truck to tow it with. The bow hangs out over the tongue and the edge of the flatbed. There was not clearance to tow it with the diesel suburban, for example. A pickup truck might be in a gray area, in between.

But I only went through all that because I already had the trailer. If I were going out to buy one for just that purpose, I'd look for a dedicated sailboat trailer. They do come up on craigslist from time to time.
By having the tongue extended 15" (post#7) I was able to tow the trailer with a box truck with a 10' 6" overhead clearance.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, equipment, trailer