Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 08:32   #1

Epiglass or West system?

both epoxy resins, epiglass recommends only around 2 coats of resin and meant to be used with interprotect2000. West just adds in thier barrier coat mix and wants u to build up i think 5 or so layers of epoxy resin. I heard west system wasnt so good in warmer climates, and also that they initially started into the epoxy business for epoxying windmill blades. The west marine catalog says in big red letters for epiglass that its only to be used professionaly. Hmm thats strange and the gallon of epiglass resin cost more than west. hmm. I sanded the whole boat using 80grit and orbitol sander down to bare fiberglass, so i dont wanna put on something ill regret. i tried googling epiglass vs west system and dont get a whole lot. And whats with all this advice to just put interprotect over west. Why not keep brand names the same? West marine doesnt even carry the barrier coat additive for west cuz they claim people just put interprotect over it. rediculous
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 10:16   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Epiglass or West system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor View Post
both epoxy resins, epiglass recommends only around 2 coats of resin and meant to be used with interprotect2000. West just adds in thier barrier coat mix and wants u to build up i think 5 or so layers of epoxy resin.

WEST recommends this only if you are using it for the full barrier coat, ie no 2000 over it.

I heard west system wasnt so good in warmer climates, and also that they initially started into the epoxy business for epoxying windmill blades.

WEST is one of the few manufacterers that puts out a Tropical hardener for very high temps and humidities. The Gougeon Bros. started business building high-tech ice boats. They developed their own resin system for laminating these boats.

The west marine catalog says in big red letters for epiglass that its only to be used professionaly.

Classic CYA.

Hmm thats strange and the gallon of epiglass resin cost more than west. hmm. I sanded the whole boat using 80grit and orbitol sander down to bare fiberglass, so i dont wanna put on something ill regret. i tried googling epiglass vs west system and dont get a whole lot. And whats with all this advice to just put interprotect over west. Why not keep brand names the same? West marine doesnt even carry the barrier coat additive for west cuz they claim people just put interprotect over it. rediculous

West marine is not the best place to shop for that sort of thing, try a proper fiberglass supply store. I have used both products and much prefer WEST System for many reasons. The combination of 2000 over WEST has stood the test of time for our shop. We do 2 coats of WEST followed by a thin layer of WEST and 407 over the whole bottom. Then we sand fair and barrier coat. West marine probably doesn't carry the barrier coat additive because no one uses it anymore.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I totally agree with Minerat. I have never used Epiglass but I have ben using West System for over 30 years. Don't even want to think about using something else. If you read the technical specs, own a thermometer and a clockwatch you can almost calibrate your clockwatch by the set-up time. I have used it also in antique repairs.
You can dye it with earth powders and if you need a mold and casting, it will even replicate the pores in the grain in oak.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 15:19   #4

so when you use west and interprotect you dont add the barrier powder into west?

Also when you say you put 2 coats of west then interprotect are you starting from gelcoat?

Since im starting from bare fiberglass how many coats of west do you think ill need before the 2000?

Also im a tad bit concerned with the small blister holes in my matt layer. According to the utube west video they go along with that filled epoxy (while the first coat of west is still wet)and fill in blister holes ect in gelcoat. I got quite alot of those holes tho. Im not trying to eviserate my matt layer sanding them all out. thanks so much this is quite an overwelming process for a first timer on a budget.
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 18:48   #5

There are you tube videos describing what to do to stop the bubbles in the coating. There is an additive that is added that eliminates that problem.
Can't be of more help than that sorry.
Chrispen is offline   Reply With Quote