Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 19:29   #1

Entry level liveaboard-cruising boat

Hello,

I have begun to search for my frist sailboat and would like the input of the forums. My girlfriend and I will be buying and fixing up something in the 30 to 40 foot range. Our main priorities are...
1. Sea-worthyness, we want it to handle well, be easy to sail, and be able to take us around the world.
2. Reliability. We want something tried and tested.
3. Comfort. We don´t want to be cramped..I am 6ft3in tall and like to stretch out.

We are looking to spend around 50kusd total and have about two years to fix everything up.

Some boats I have seen mentioned in threads like this before are Morgan OI, Rawsons, and Albergs.

Specifically, do you think a Morgan oi 33 is capable of going around the world?

Thanks for your input.
ineedmonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 20:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
re: Entry level liveaboard-cruising boat

The short answer is yes, an OI 33 can sail around the world.

The longer answer is, generally speaking the captain is more important than the boat. The best, strongest boat built can be sunk by a bad captain and a light weight boat could do well with a good captain.

The Morgan is reasonably well built but not the strongest boat ever made. With reasonable care and proper planning (don't spend a lot of time in the Caribbean in August and don't plan on taking the Morgan around Cape Horn) the OI will get you there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 23:10   #3

Does the meet my needs extremely well? Can you think of anything else that I should be looking at? Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. Cheers.
ineedmonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ineedmonies.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Ineedm...., My wife and I have live-aboard/cruised Morgan Out Islands since '73 and had our 33' for 13 years. Yes, the boat could make the trip and best with a few modifications at a few points,- rudder laminates, mast step, portlights, etc.; however, the boat would not be the best choice for the ocean passage. The shoal draft makes the Out Islands great for coastal gunkholing and cruising the Bahamas, but a deeper keel would be an advantage for long offshore passages. I enjoy taking my Morgan OI 41 on the Bayside of the Florida Keys; though Barnegat Bay and many other places where boats my size can't access. I love my huge living space, but there are far better ocean passagemakers.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:51   #6

remember it takes just as much work to fix up a 30 as it does a 40 foot boat in the end of the bigger boat will satisfy your needs for longer. Of time rarely does somebody say this boat is just too big
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Entry level liveaboard-cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
remember it takes just as much work to fix up a 30 as it does a 40 foot boat in the end of the bigger boat will satisfy your needs for longer. Of time rarely does somebody say this boat is just too big
Given your 'Handle' I'd stick to 30 - 32 feet... as much work sure.. but up to twice as much cost..
Good marques in those size's for what you want are Westerly's, some Hunters (depends on year built).. Pearson, Bristol's, Jeaneau, Gib'sea... the older boats up to the '80's tended to be stronger build but more traditional than the flowing interiors that are turned out today..
Good luck..
Oh... Welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

CaptForce said it well. The Morgan would do it but other boats would be better. I lived and sailed an OI36 for a couple of years. The OI33 and OI41 and OI51 are all very similar in their design. The main issue is the very shallow draft. As he said, great for the islands and poking around into shallow spots but not the best for long ocean passages.

I did make some long passages on the OI36 and felt safe and comfortable but the shallow draft means the boat does not sail upwind very well at all. To make much progress upwind I usually motored or motor sailed.

As far as better choices, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of options. A major factor in your choice will be budget. I think the decision process shoul start this way. First decided how much money you have to buy a boat. Do not count what you will need for your living and cruising budget, only what you can afford to buy a boat. Then divide that in half and use that as your purchasing budget.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:11   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think you will find that a boat between about 32 feet and 40 feet is ideal for a cruising couple. That size range is big enough and seaworthy enough to go anywhere, yet not so big as to become cumbersome to handle or maintain. My family of four has been cruising on our Finnsailer 38 motorsailor, which has three cabins, plenty of storage, and sails well enough to keep up with most of the fleet. She's for sale by the way. There are lots of other boats to choose from, and you should be able to find something like my boat that is not just a fixer upper but one you can start to use right away and gradually set up just the way you like.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I have an 33 OI, and yes.... I wouldn't hesitate to take mine anywhere... I do have over sized rigging, and love it... Built like a tank, loves heavier weather... Less motion and heel than similar sized boats... As others have said, drawback is close pointing, but I really never found it that annoying... Definitely the biggest 33' boat around inside... I am always questioned on the length after somebody new ducks inside.... Your budget is overkill for it though... They can be had well fitted out for 30k...

I would price/sell mine where 5k in upgrades would be all you need... Solar, SSB, hate my manual windlass.... You can PM me if a California boat is an option....

Let me know if you need and specific OI questions answered!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 09:05   #11

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft SailYacht 35

ineedmo.... I am on similar mission as you state. I wound up buying a 1964 Olin Stephens designed Sailyacht 35 that needed extensive systems refit/ repair. But only gave 10k for boat and dinghy w good outboard. A very solid old boat that I have so far only put around $7,500 more into it. If you look you will find a good deal. Mine now has all new standing rigging,running rigging, battery banks and updated charge sensors etc..came with working radar, solar panels, wind generator, Aries windvane set up, separate cabin a/c , big elec windlass w monster ground tackle, Coolmatic fridge/freeze iceboxes and many other nav and safety gear left onboard. I got rid of pressure water and water heater as both needed work and I prefer good old footpumps...also dumped the old Lectra-san unit for a manual Levac and holding tank set up. So far all for around $17,500 invested. Solid FG construction hull and deck, and good in rough conditions due to heavier displacement (nearly 20k lbs) and the modified full keel set up. I still have cosmetic issues to address but am on the final punch list and shickled titless to get it ready to go so reasonably. Leaves money to get some traveling done soon! Hope something here helps in some way. Good luck with yours!
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 09:45   #12

Islander Freeport 36B see classified section. Needs no fixing. amd have a look at this blog. Simmilar boat. Empanada Senora | Eagle's Big Left Turn
Jack_Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 10:19   #13

The Islander FP36 are wonderful boats, should give one a look.
Comfort and room to go around the world @ $50k?; Westsail 32 comes to mind. Baba 30, Panda 34 (?) The Islander will outsail them all to weather, but going to weather was never the most important thing in my own criteria... The Morgan OI33 is likely the worst sailor of the bunch, but could be had real cheap I imagine. Alot of boats in that range.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 10:28   #14

There are several in the Puget Sound for sale including mine. If your realy looking you should make the trip to Tacoma to see Stella Luna. Previously owned by Wally Schirra a 3 mission astronaut and very well kept. I have an extensive photo file if you want to look at it call Two five three six eight three 0303.
Jack_Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 12:14   #15

Our first boat was a 33ft islander - she was great, and taught us many valuable lessons before stepping up in boat size.

One tip - rent for a few years and learn what you do and don't like in manufacturers/hull and rudder types. Also, engines are all unique for some...try a bunch out and then go looking

We ended up with a must have and nice to have list to use during our shopping and viewing of Craigslist/eBay and yacht trader listings. Use a one sheet score card or other methodology!

Have fun too - a boat is not forever, even Fatty Goodlander moved aboard a new boat after over 30yrs...it's all about what feels good NOW.