Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2007, 17:38   #1

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Endeavour CC

I think I'm starting to fall in love with the Endeavour 42' CC - but at this point it's just one of those 'internet' relationships because I've never actually seen one in person, much less sailed one. I sit and look at them online and dream of 2 years off when I'll be ready to buy and move aboard.

Does anyone have any experience with the boat or have any insight they would like to share?

Thanks,
Brandon
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 17:42   #2
Kai Nui

S/V Elusive has one, and knows it intimately. I will say it is allot of boat. Large sail plan. Nice space inside.
Old 14-01-2007, 02:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A brief history of the Endeavour Yacht Corporation
Endeavour Boats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 10:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Actually, I have an Endeavour 43 (Ketch). The Endeavour 42s are very simillar, except they are not ketch rigged. As Gord has already popped the link to the owner's forum, I'll not put that up again. There are five or six Endeavour owners on this forum (maybe more!). You might want to try doing a search on the name: Endeavour. There have been several threads. Good luck and ... Good choice.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 10:31   #5
Kai Nui

I caught the difference, but didn't realize there was much difference between the two designs.
Old 15-01-2007, 07:18   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
The E42 is an entirely different boat / hull than the E43. Good explanation / history of the design on the Endeavour owners site.

Have not owned an E42 or E43, but looked at several during our search. E42 is a better performing hull from my research. Not near as roomy as the E43 though. Everything is a trade-off of course.

As a self-serving promo I have a solid E52 for sale... needs some refit of course but is selling for the price of an updated E42.
Old 16-01-2007, 14:52   #7

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
I saw the ad for your E52 and it really does look nice. Too bad I'm not in the market for one. The 52 would be way too much boat for me - hell, the 42 may be too much for me and I should be looking at the 38 Guess I need to try to find a couple in the same area and do a side-by-side eval.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:26   #8

Boat: Pearson 30
E43

There are a couple of these for sale on the Gulf Coast and the look nice. I would also appreciate any input that can be provided on these boats. Its been very difficult to find any information on them- I've found the owner group but there isn't too much there on the 43.

Like the original poster, its looks like a good boat at a decent price. I'm not sure about investing in a boat that has so little information available.

David
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 09:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Endeavour 43 (Ketch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
I've found the owner group but there isn't too much there on the 43.

..... I'm not sure about investing in a boat that has so little information available.

David
Interesting. When I did my research before I purchased mine, I had no problem finding information and people who owned them (owner's site). And, nothing beats a walk through.

I've been sailing my 43 for 7 years now. It is fully loaded - cruise ready, live-aboard (for a working person - clothes), and able to be ready to sail within 3/4s of an hour. I take the boat out (usually single handed) about twice a month. So when I say fully loaded, I don't mean lots of high tech gear, I mean my life is on this boat - I don't have a storage locker anywhere.

My performance to windward is "okay" - I'm not going to be as fast as a narrow beamed boat, or one with a fin keel. I AM going to be comfortable and in the CC, pretty much high and dry. My boat does like 15+ knots of wind for optimum performance. On a beam reach, I regularly hit 8.3 to 8.5 knots (heeled at about 10 degrees). Even with 10 to 12, I'll hit mid 7's on a beam reach. I have yet to fly my kite (asemetrical).

The owner's site says that this boat's displacement is 33,000 pounds + all MY stuff. I'd say I'm close to 40,000. So - performance... try loading one of those narrow beamed or fin keeled "great sailers to windward" with enough stuff to cruise with or liveaboard, and THEN check their performance. So, FOR ME, this boat is GREAT. For someone else (maybe one who could afford a nice 52 footer ) it may be a different story.

They are built hell for stout - when I was hauled and installed my new fathometer and knot meter, I cored the hull in two places (talk about a scary thing to do - I only measured about a dozen times) - those cores are both over an inch and a half thick! Nicely layered too.

Is this a perfect boat? hell no - but FOR ME, it's close enough.
Old 30-06-2007, 09:41   #10

Thanks for the post. Great review and I'm glad you are happy with the boat. Unfortunately, I live a few hours from the coast and a walk through is going to take some effort and coordination. Gotta do my research first.

Certainly any boat is a compromise. I'd be happy with 8 knots of speed on a fully loaded boat like this. How is the access for routine maintanance? You mentioned that you didn't have many high tech systems. What do you have already on it and is there room to install other things that may be on your wishlist? Would you consider it bluewater capable? That hull sounds pretty stout.

Are these boats known for any weak points or areas to look at specifically. The boat that is tempting me is a 1980 and listed on boats.com for $84.9k. Its a really sharp interior and looks like the wife could be fairly comfortable.

Lots of questions- I appreciate you thoughtful post.

All the best to you.
Old 30-06-2007, 09:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

$84.9k ... ummm .. Gulf Coast ehhh? Wonder where it 'weathered' the hurricane?

David - try the below link - it has listing for about 15 43 and 42 Endeavors - most have extensive pictures.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Old 30-06-2007, 09:55   #12

That's the boat....
Old 30-06-2007, 18:58   #13

Boat: Endeavour 42
Brandon-I'm an E-40 owner but have a good friend w/an E-42. The 42 sails well and points a little better than the 40. The biggest drawback to them is 2 of the 3 alum water and fuel tanks were placed in the bilge-and in the case of the 42 they were encapsulated in some material-I forget. Anyway, the bilge water eventually corrodes the metal seams and leakage occurrs. On the 42 they are a bitch to replace-they ain't too easy on the 40 either. Overall, they are a lot of boat for the money. There are several nice ones on Yachtworld.com. Cptn Happy
Old 01-07-2007, 06:17   #14

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
During our search we looked at several - meaning LOTS - of E42s and E43s. For the money we were (and still are) convinced that the Endeavours offer a good value in a sturdily built cruising boat.

Like most boat breeds, they do have some common issues:

- aluminum fuel tanks in the bilge as mentioned previously. The key is to provide a path around the tank for water to drain away from the tank. Placement on some models makes that pretty tough to do.

- E43 forward mast step is a steel I-beam that sits in a bilge pocket where water collects and stays. Nearly every E43 we looked at had a very rusted mast step or had replaced it. One boat we saw had filled in the pocket with some sort of resin to keep the water out. We have the same issue - steel mast step in a bilge pocket - on our E52. Not sure of the arrangement on the 42s.

- The standard factory ports are plastic and leak all over that nice teak. Lots of ports = lots of $$ for the one we saw where the owner had replaced all ports with stainless.

- E35s we looked at all had leakage around the chainplate rods that go from the main deck through the salon to the hull attachment point (knee). They seemd pretty roomy for a 35 to us, with good headroom.

- Cored decks on some E43s had saturated and discolored. This is a maintenance issue to look for... if the seller/owner has paid attention and jumped on this as soon as it started you'll be OK. Some boats had no signs of this problem at all, others were a disaster.

- I believe the earlier E43s had a smaller horsepower Perkins. Later years had more HP which is needed - these are heavy, beamy boats.

As the YW pricing will demonstrate, the E42 is the newer, better performance hull. The E43 is MUCH roomier below - remarkable for that extra foot of LOA. The E38 is an entirely different boat and from our research is not well thought of, hence the much lower pricing. The E37 Plan B is interesting, but research showed us that it was a poor attempt to stretch an E35 hull and the resulting boat was not a good sailing boat. I personally hated the traveller that divides the cockpit in two and must be stepped over to get to the companionway.

If you read everything - and I mean everything - on the Endeavour Owners website you'll find lots of good info. Things are buried in odd places on that site - look at the Owner's Reviews and all of the maintenance threads for good tidbits.

Now for the disclaimers.... These are just the conclusions we reached during our boat search. I'm certainly not a boat construction expert. If you want to berate me for my opinions, my PM mailbox is "knottyboyz" - honest.

Enjoy your search and good luck in finding the boat that's right for you!

Old 01-07-2007, 20:37   #15

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
You may want to look at the Brewer 42 or Brewer 12.8 also.

When doing our boat search 3 years ago, we looked very hard at the E42. Ultimately, we decide on a Brewer 42 (double headsail ketch). Please understand that I have nothing negative to say about the Endeavours.

We decide on the Brewer for three reasons
1) the overall quality of the Brewers were slightly better
2) we like the cockpit more on the B42. The cockpit is where we spend most of our time and we feel that we made the right choice.
3) We go "outside" a lot and felt the Brewer to be more of a blue water boat.

Also, I think that the engine room is bigger, but not certain.
The PHRF numbers are almost identical.
The issues with the tanks were also a concern, but numerous Brewers are now experiencing similar problems.

Again, I have nothing negative to say about the E42. These were OUR conclusions. Just thought you might want to look at a similar sailboat before spending that much $$$$$$.

Good luck in your search.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour