Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2006, 15:29   #1

Endeavour 32

Hello,

This is the second time I post here. The first time I was very glad to see how helpfull everybody was. Thanks!

I'm looking for a boat for long cruises and never owned a boat before although I have some sailing experience. Someone here gave me the tip to look for some Albergs and Cape Dorys which I did (30 models) and was very satisfied with the boat design which matched the kind of boat I'm looking for (actualy I was looking for such a design in steel but the readings I'm doing are pulling me slowly to the fiberglass side). During my search I came across the Endeavour 32 which seemed also to be a very appealing boat. What is your opinion about the boat and could you please compare the Endeavour in general to the Alberg and Cape Dory.

Thanks for your help. It's not easy to find the right boat for someone whose experience is so narrow.

By
nuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 15:57   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
hello Nuno:

Perhaps you could let people know what your intended use of the boat is. The Cape Dory's and Alsberg intone long distance cruising but lets make sure. I can not comment on the Endeavour because I have no experience with them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 16:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I had a neighbor that sailed a Endeavour 33 for quite a long time. These boats really are not special in any respect. They were not the very best built boats but they didn't sell as one either. They do have a reputation for core problems in the decking that a survey will discover (my neighbor had it when his buyer surveyed it).

Being of the age they all are they usually need some refitting if not already done. I wouldn't consider them great offshore boats even when new but they are nice comfortable coastal boats and my neighbor was quite happy with his for 17 years as he did sail it along the east coast. It's a basic 32 ft boat common with a lot of others.

There is a users group on the intenet and I would suggest a google search to find it. There is no better place to discuss a boat than in a users forum. You can read about the good as well as the bad and how to overcome the problems. If you are on a budget then you need to deal with that limitation and overcoming the problems of the not so perfect boat can get you sailing on one.

As already stated what you expect it to be able to do matters as much as the boat you are considering. Also your own skill level is a serious issue.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 22:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Dunno about the 32 ... I own (and have owned for 6 years) an Endeavour 43.

The owner's forum is: http://www.endeavourowners.com/

As Paul said, you may want to give us a bit more information about yourself and what you intend to actually do with the boat.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 04:24   #5

Boat: C&C 27
I lookied at a couple of 32s years ago. As I recall they were based on the Irwin 32 molds. There used to be a strong users group and some of the local owners take theirs across the Gulf of Mexico. Comparisons to the Albergs and Cape Dorys may be difficult in strict terms. The Endevour is much less expensive here with fair examples selling much less than the same size CD. The Albergs I have seen in the same price range as the Endevour will be smaller inside.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 04:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
It is hard to compare the Endeavour 32 to the "Alberg" or "Cape Dory" since you have not said which model Alberg or Cape Dory. The Endeavour 32 began life as the Irwin 32. The Irwin 32 was a relatively moderate CCA race boat. In its orginal form, it had high density ballast and a centerboard. They were moderatetly well built and sailed reasonably well.

Endeavour bought the tooling when Irwin considered the design and cheapened everything about the boat, deleting the centerboard, going to a lower density ballast, scaling back the deck hardware, taking a pretty nice little coastal cruiser, and making into something much less. My family owned several Endeavours from this period and build quality was pretty dismal all around.

I can only assume that you are comparing the E32 to similar sized Alberg 30 and Cape Dory 30. The Alberg 30 began life as a CCA era race boat with all of the negatives that implies (Short waterline length, narrow beam ,but not as extreme as many CCA era boats, short keel length with attached rudder (high helm loads coupled with poor tracking and maneverability) and a sail plan that is hard to handle short handed). I know that these boats have been heavily modified and taken offshore but for the dollar (especially if the cost of altering and updating one of these old girls is factored in) there are wildly superior designs either as coastal cruisers or offshore pocket cruisers.

The Cape Dory was a better built and nicer finished boat than the Alberg. but otherwise all of the other comments apply. The Cape Dory has a heavier interior (not a good thing considering the tender, rolly nature of these boats compared to better designs) and a smaller sail plan to compensate for the lower stability but not the heavier sailing weight.

I would not call any of these boats ideal 'Distance Cruiser', despite the fact that people have tried with varying degrees of success to use them that way.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:55   #7

I have had both an irwin 28 and inspected Irwin 32's and owned an 82 Endeavour 32 and the Endeavour was built at least TWICE as well as the iriwns as far as heavier higer quaility materials, fit, finish and workmanship. Stem fiting, bulkheads, floor, deck, mast and compression post, hull liner, windows ALL of it was FAR superior to the Irwins, older Beneatues, Hunters, Catalinas etc. Built more to the island packet side then the cheap production cruiser side. Lots of solid teak, the fiberglass and tabbing was heavy and the fittings heavy and solid as well. Mine was a Tank.. and sailed like one.. not good to weather but very stable and sea kindly. Squalls on the Gulf Stream we would heave too and let it pass and never get tossed at all...

The boat was excellent for the Bahamas, FL, C Bay and NC sounds and I would have no qualms taking it anywhere from a strength standpoint but with the 4 draft I don't think it would do so well sailing in the Caribbean but I wouldn't have hesitated to take it here..

my only real complaint was the Salon Berths were to narrow
Old 27-01-2008, 18:30   #8

Jeff got it completely wrong this time.
Dennis
E32_277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 23:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Slowest developing thread on the face of the planet...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 13:58   #10

Endeavour 32

I have owned a 1978 E32 and I love this boat! Recently repowered with a Volvo 30 and will be continuing to maintain, upgrade and enjoy this fine example of classic plastic. I previously owned a Cape Dory 27.

Last summer we crossed from Miami to West End Grand Bahama during a tropical wave with a forecast of 10-15 from the east. It became squalls, thunderstorms etc with sustained NE winds of 25 and an ugly Gulfstream.

Put her on autopilot while we sat at the helm and she handled like a champ.

Roomy, seakindly, well-built (especially vs. Hunter, Catalina, and some Beneteaus of that era. Cape Dory and Alberg are fine boats as well: personal choice.

E32= a lot of comfortable cruising boat for the $$. She would be fine offshore and for extended cruisng with the same caveats as ANY boat: i.e. inspection of throughhulls, rigging, etc.

And performance is fine as well. I plan to campaign Invicta in PHRF next fall, once I heal from surgery.
rdunncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 21:13   #11

Re: Endeavour 32

I'm looking at a 1978 Endeavour E32 in the morning. it's on the hard as the bottom is about to get painted. I'll check for soft spots on the deck. I'll have to get it surveyed once its in the water.
DestinationSky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour