Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2006, 15:35   #1

Elizabethan 31

Hi:

I ran into such a boat; it's a full keel boat, but there is not a lot of info I could find about it on the web. Can anyone point me to a site with more info? Maybe dimensions, ballast (weight, type), etc. The little info I found was on yachtworld.com.
Could you also recommend or not the boat for sailing the Chesapeake Bay, and maybe the Carribean in the future? Any pluses/minuses or known weaknesses?

Thanks a lot. Neko
neko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 05:20   #2

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Try the Elizabethan Owners site on: www.eoa.org.uk.

Its a good site for info and you can get info from other Elizabethan 31 owners. I had an Elizabethan 29 until this summer. I singlehanded her across the Atlantic in 1990 and had a great confidence in her. The build is very strong and while she was not a greyhound she went well in a good blow when other lighter built boats were heading for home. For the sailing of which you ask, Chesapeake and the Caribbean a 31 would be fine. Hope this helps
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 05:38   #3

Elizabethan 31 owners' site

I went to that site, but there is little there about the 31; I also sent an email to the site owner or whatever he/she is. Again, no response.
This has happened weeks ago; fine.
So, considering the level of support I got, I hope that more will come from people like you.
Thanks. Neko
Old 29-09-2006, 07:03   #4

the elizabethan is a very salty boat. it is designed by kim holman who now designs the oysters. (i believe with pye). i had a 1967 northsea 24, (named for the waterline, it was 31 foot strip planked and built in spain), a true gentleman's yacht. i sailed my boat through very rugged offshore conditions for ten years, it was always confident and well behaved. you might want to look for information on the twister, which is a 28? footer that holman designed and a smaller version of my old boat. it had quite a following. these boats all have some differences, but the idea is the same: a wineglass hull, an increased waterline when heeling, and a commitment to seaworthyness. hope this helps.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 07:10   #5

conflicting info

thanks little boat; however the ad says she is designed by David Thomas, is a sloop and was built in Lymington, England in 1983; now, I have found a site describing a ketch Elizabethan 31:

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...n-31-ketch.htm

The link about states that Peter Webster, Ltd built them but he went out of business in 1976, so I don't know who built the one from '83.

I have a pic with a hand written hull number: HE 312P980882; yes, it is hand written on the hull :-)
I was wondering if anyone can point out how to get any info about this boat. I tried the association, they didn't respond to my email.
Btw, I am near Washington, DC.
Thanks a lot.
Old 01-10-2006, 17:26   #6

sorry neko11. i really thought holman designed the elizabethan so i did a quick search and found this boat advertised:
ELIZABETHAN 29 YAWL 1986. Fin keel. Yanmar 8hp diesel engine. A rare yawl rigged version of this Kim Holman design with pretty lines and proven reputation for performance under sail. Competitively priced
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grp128.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	329  
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote