Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2009, 11:37   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Electronic Anti-Fouling System: Opinions?

2B Sure Electronic Antifouling

It really sound great.. using copper ions. I think this system is very new.

2B Sure Electronic Antifouling
Old 13-04-2009, 11:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
We have had at least one thread in the past about this. I cannot find it.

My gut feeling is that if it were effective it would be a lot more prevalent. Perhaps I am being overly skeptical though. Another thought is that system would need to be set up so there it does not cause electrolysis.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 14:13   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
If it worked everyone would stop buying anti fouling at $250 per gallon. (Why is it that boats never take a full gallon, but 1.5 gals or 2.5 gals? Do nav archs get a kickback from the extra wasted 1/2 gal?)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:15   #4

We have the 2Bsure system working in the UK and it really does work!! We didn't use the boat (antaris 1380) for about 6 months, and when we lifted to make sure all the cathodic anodes were still there, it was still clean!

The copper anodes had worn down a bit as predicted but I reckon there is another year in them yet!

The marina owners are a bit annoyed because we dont have to lift the boat anymore for the dreaded wash off!! well worth it!!
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Several previous discussions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-18825.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tem-15334.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-17969.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:23   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Hey Scottie,

Your first post and you are raving about a commercial product on an old thread..........................

Are you being paid? LOL

Whats the price of these gadgets?

That would be the cruncher....

And I guess they must be attached to shore power.... so who pays the huge electricity bill? You have to add that on too. So even though Micron Extra costs a bomb and including the haul out your stuff would still be more expensive. Otherwise costs would be quoted

Mark

Old 09-07-2009, 05:21   #7

I did a search on electronic antifoul and this page came up!!

I paid £1000.00 for the system (I got a bit of a deal!) I think the usual price is £1100 plus VAT. As far as the electrical bill. I havent noticed anything extra, as I keep it on shore power and have a dehumidifier on board as well as a frost watcher in the winter. I am told that it uses 1 amp per hour.

In the long run it is still cheaper than lifting and washing (£900) every 2-3 months. Result I say.

Sorry about raving about an old post. I am new!!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:30   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
lifting and washing (£900) every 2-3 months.

LOL

Yea, right

Old 09-07-2009, 08:01   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Ever notice how these electronic/ultrasonic anti fouling systems are always installed on boats that are somewhere overseas and only one or two examples of them in use? I got news for ya, folks- there ain't no magic bullet. If there was you'd see everybody using them. If there was, they'd be tested and sold in the largest pleasure boating market in the world, the U.S. If there was, we'd see data on how the system works in regions where fouling is a real issue that requires monthly remediation, like California or Florida.

And like Mark J, I am suspicious of the motives of anybody whose first (and only) two posts on this forum are pimping a commercial product.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47   #10

I thought this forum was about open talk, All I can say is that it works for me.

This was my first post because we have to start somewhere. I only found this site by accident to see if anybody else was using the system.

It appears now that unless you have something bad to say about a product you shouldn't say anything at all.

This is my first time on a forum, and I am sad to say, probably my last.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Well, ScottyD, had you spent any time in any forums previously (especially sailing forums), you'd understand that they are frequently misused for free advertising by commercial interests. And as you had not previously contributed anything to this forum, your intial posts raised some hackles. Hopefully you can understand this and, if you are indeed an honest-to-God sailor looking for a forum in which participate, will continue to post here. But know too, that users of internet forums such as this one will not always hold your hand and play nice. You should have a least a modicum of a thick skin if you want to be happy in any forum.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Scotty,
Welcome to Cruisers Forum! I sincerely hope you remain a contributing member to the forum.

This forum is open to respectful and polite debate from anyone. Nobody is asking for or implying that you remain silent. There is a difference between polite debate and arguing using personal attacks. I don't see that anyone has crossed that line.

Fast Bottoms has a very valid point. I agree that if an electric based anti-fouling systems worked that we would see them on boats all over the United States and other major boating nations. I would love to see indisputable evidence that these systems do indeed work that matches or exceed the manufacturers claims.

All one of the manufacturers would need to do is put this system on an unpainted hull in a major US warm water marina to prove the system works. As far as I know, none have chosen to do this type of demonstration. For most people, this leaves understandable doubt in their minds that this type of system does work. Seeing is believing with boaters, who in general are very pragmatic people.

If you see something that you believe to be forum spam, then please report it using the exclamation point icon in the lower left hand corner, rather than bringing it up as a topic in a post. Thank you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling