Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 17:47   #46

Re: Electric motor conversion

GrowleyMonster

Very good analysis, and I definitely agree with most of your comment. The only addition I would make is that the technology development will happen faster than most think. High voltage systems now being developed for EVs and manufactured in the hundreds of thousands will improve performance and drive down costs at a fast pace. These will need to be tailored to power levels and environments on boats, but it will happen. While it’s still for early adopters and not for the DIY or faint of heart, we’re at the start of the exponential rise in the s-curve in this development.
Qmansailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 17:57   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

2004 to 2009 Prius traction battery pack, 500V max.
2010 Prius traction battery max voltage 650V

Hybrid cars have run voltages deep into the triple digits for decades, there used of be a big concern that first responders would get killed left and right from those voltages, which of course hasn’t happened, all the high voltage cables on a Prius are bright orange to let people know to be careful around those.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:02   #48

I really don't understand the thinking if you change your mind motor to Electric and you still have to run your generator full-time and then you will add weight with more batteries, what have you really gain besides the slower underpowered boat with limited range
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:05   #49

Yep, the HV cables on my boat are bright orange as well and carry a sense circuit that if it detects a loss of isolation, will blow a pyro fuse at the battery. You also have to consider thermal runaway for Li-ion (at any voltage actually not just HV batteries). The battery pack is built to withstand a module fire and has venting to drive any smoke/fumes overboard.
Old 19-06-2019, 18:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I really don't understand the thinking if you change your mind motor to Electric and you still have to run your generator full-time and then you will add weight with more batteries, what have you really gain besides the slower underpowered boat with limited range
I don’t hardly ever run the generator. I can motor for 2-3 hours off the batteries before they are depleted. The genset is used if I’m stuck out with no wind for more than a few hours and also if I’m on anchor or a mooring and want to run the A/C. The nice thing is I can run the generator for an hour and have enough charge in the batteries to run any electrical system I want for basically a full day or two. It’s like being in a slip with 30A service while on the hook. But in general I hardly ever have to run the genset as I’m often at a slip at the end of the day and can charge off shore power. As I mentioned before the whole set up is only about 200 kgs heavier than an equivalent diesel + generator set up needed to get not quite as good functionality. I think the keys that make this work is the high voltage that the batteries and motor operate and also the DC generator that can directly charge the HV batteries.
Old 19-06-2019, 19:53   #51

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmansailer View Post
I don’t hardly ever run the generator. I can motor for 2-3 hours off the batteries before they are depleted. The genset is used if I’m stuck out with no wind for more than a few hours and also if I’m on anchor or a mooring and want to run the A/C. The nice thing is I can run the generator for an hour and have enough charge in the batteries to run any electrical system I want for basically a full day or two. It’s like being in a slip with 30A service while on the hook. But in general I hardly ever have to run the genset as I’m often at a slip at the end of the day and can charge off shore power. As I mentioned before the whole set up is only about 200 kgs heavier than an equivalent diesel + generator set up needed to get not quite as good functionality. I think the keys that make this work is the high voltage that the batteries and motor operate and also the DC generator that can directly charge the HV batteries.

Your inverter... off the shelf, or did you have to DIY it? I haven't seen any 400v inverters.
Old 19-06-2019, 20:15   #52

Yeah, all the HV stuff is way above my DIY skills. Here’s the inverter
https://www.belfuse.com/product/part...150-120-240-8G
It’s also a charger, but I didn’t use the charger functionality. Most of the system components were supplied by Torqeedo as part of their Deep Blue product line, so that limits some functionality based on what works with their software.
Old 20-06-2019, 00:13   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

I am a pretty big hybrid sailboat skeptic, but this setup seems to be the best conceived one I've ever heard of. No magical thinking, no magical fuel savings, no underpowering, no undersizing of the generator.

Now that you've described your use case, it's clear how it makes sense for you. Using stored shore power primarily. This would be worth quite a bit of cost and weight to a lot of people. I guess you'll never pay for it with saved diesel, but silent electric running would be priceless. But the other saving which MIGHT pay for the setup eventually is the saving of engine hours -- amortization, and maintenance cost.

The big generator combined with lithium power also means you can store abundant power for on-board systems, with short generator runs, when off grid. You've eliminated the second diesel generator (your setup will not indeed be either heavier nor costlier than mine which has separate propulsion and generator engines).

I like it I think a lot of people would be interested in technical details, and photos of the build.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 02:35   #54

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Most of the system components were supplied by Torqeedo as part of their Deep Blue product line, so that limits some functionality based on what works with their software.
What components are coming from Torqeedo? I think most of us thought it was a system repurposed from a car, and not a more plug and play system from Torqeedo. It sounds like a very workable system when price comes down.

I see us personally decade (s?) away from getting rid of our diesel, but it's great to see people going down this path.

Love the boat choice too

Matt
Old 02-03-2020, 21:50   #55

Boat: Custom 47 Ketch

10 years from now there's going to be buttloads of electric vehicle parts at wreckers all over the world.

When parts become more available and less expensive I'm getting me some!

I'm not going to re-power with another Diesel, I'm going to leave the old banger in place and add an electric system straight on to a spare bit of prop shaft.

If I can get a good 4 hours of battery life from installing electric vehicle equipment then maybe one day I'll have my old diesel and fuel tanks removed and have a whole new cabin!
reynolds.brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 23:16   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds.brad View Post
10 years from now there's going to be buttloads of electric vehicle parts at wreckers all over the world.

When parts become more available and less expensive I'm getting me some!

I'm not going to re-power with another Diesel, I'm going to leave the old banger in place and add an electric system straight on to a spare bit of prop shaft.

If I can get a good 4 hours of battery life from installing electric vehicle equipment then maybe one day I'll have my old diesel and fuel tanks removed and have a whole new cabin!

Why not leave the diesel in place, as long as it runs? You can install pillow block bearings and a pulley on the prop shaft, and drive it with a belt from an electric motor. Depending on your transmission. Consult your mechanic. Anyway with the diesel stopped and transmission neutral, the electric motor turns the prop shaft, or charges your batteries under sail if regen is on. With the diesel running, it turns the prop shaft and turns the electric motor which charges the batteries if regen is on. You get the economy, instant on with no warmup, and quiet operation (and NO minimum idle speed) of the electric when desired, and the long range of the diesel when needed. Add enough solar and you reduce your dependence on the diesel.

Don't get rid of the diesel until it is dead and not worth rebuilding. Then you can switch to pure electric or solar electric. That's my suggestion.
Old 08-03-2020, 22:28   #57

I'm not going to get rid of the diesel, I'll create a hybrid set up and then remove the diesel a couple of years after the electric system has proven itself.

:-)
Old 09-03-2020, 00:06   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds.brad View Post
I'm not going to get rid of the diesel, I'll create a hybrid set up and then remove the diesel a couple of years after the electric system has proven itself.

:-)
Yep, perhaps in 2050...

good luck with the conversion.

Jim
Old 09-03-2020, 21:20   #59

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Why not leave the diesel in place, as long as it runs? You can install pillow block bearings and a pulley on the prop shaft, and drive it with a belt from an electric motor. Depending on your transmission. Consult your mechanic. Anyway with the diesel stopped and transmission neutral, the electric motor turns the prop shaft, or charges your batteries under sail if regen is on. With the diesel running, it turns the prop shaft and turns the electric motor which charges the batteries if regen is on. You get the economy, instant on with no warmup, and quiet operation (and NO minimum idle speed) of the electric when desired, and the long range of the diesel when needed. Add enough solar and you reduce your dependence on the diesel.

Don't get rid of the diesel until it is dead and not worth rebuilding. Then you can switch to pure electric or solar electric. That's my suggestion.
I thought I'd patented that idea... about 100 years ago . That's exactly what we're planning.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 21:24   #60

Like it!

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor