Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:48   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: ebay sailboat scam???

I have bought and sold both boats and cars through eBay. If the boat in question is indeed the 41' Gulfstar, I see nothing unusual about the ad. The location is listed as Havre Boucher, Nova Scotia, and the payment requirements are perfectly standard. There is always an immediate deposit requirement and the 7 day time frame for the balance is normal.

As far as the HIN, I don't see anything unusual about it not being listed and wouldn't necessarily assume this means the seller is not being forthcoming. A lot of people don't want to put the EXACT location in the ad because they don't want people going by and possibly climbing around the boat unaccompanied or without their knowledge. Usually it is standard practice to contact the owner and make arrangements with them to view the boat in advance.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:04   #17

started this thread but haven't looked in for awhile.... have continued to look at sailboats on ebay.... it is amazing how many people want a payment within a very limited time (24hrs) after bidding has ended while keeping the location and other identifying info about the boat a secret.... really, there is no way to know if the boat even exists and a $500 deposit would be long gone before one could do anything about it.... OUGHT to be warnings all over this part of ebays site.... as far as ebay being able to develop the ability to require location and a HIN, i could write the code for this myself in about thirty minutes so IF ebay had an interest in preventing fraud they could easily make it at least slightly more difficult... boats are a unique item, not like autos and not like registered aircraft
mcmccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 07:15   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Just curious -- was the boat you originally posted about indeed that 41-foot Gulfstar in Nova Scotia?

It looks like the first auction ended April 8 at $23,700, not reaching the reserve price.

Then a relisting had an opening bid of $25,000 and no takers, with the auction closing on April 18.

So maybe you could just track down the owner and talk directly.

As for sellers wanting a deposit after auction close, that's pretty standard. But I haven't found many sellers who won't tell you where the boat is, or let you go look at it if you're thinking of bidding.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 07:19   #19

You could run the deposit thru an escrow service to meet the 24hr rule without risking the money (I think ebay has a service they are affiliated with).

I think the 24hr7day thing has to do with ebays system that was really designed for smaller lower cost items. If the money doesn't come thru, ebay likely doesn't get thier cut as they didn't bring a legitimate buyer.

Sure they could code a HIN field, but then someone would want the numbers off the motor, then someone buying a TV would want the numbers. It's far easier to put the burden on you. Not to mention, if it is a scam, it wouldn't be too hard to swing by a marina jot down a legitimate number and post it. It looks legitimate and most people won't take the time to research it, so it's still caviot emptor.

Bottom line, let the owner know, you want to put a bid in but need to know at least what city the boat is in and what the HIN number is. If they are unwilling to share it, move on.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 07:55   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmccomb View Post
started this thread but haven't looked in for awhile.... have continued to look at sailboats on ebay.... it is amazing how many people want a payment within a very limited time (24hrs) after bidding has ended while keeping the location and other identifying info about the boat a secret.... really, there is no way to know if the boat even exists and a $500 deposit would be long gone before one could do anything about it.... OUGHT to be warnings all over this part of ebays site.... as far as ebay being able to develop the ability to require location and a HIN, i could write the code for this myself in about thirty minutes so IF ebay had an interest in preventing fraud they could easily make it at least slightly more difficult... boats are a unique item, not like autos and not like registered aircraft
If I were considering buying a boat on eBay, I would inspect it before I bid on it, not after. And I would only consider a boat that was in a location where I could get it home without difficulty.
Old 24-04-2015, 16:55   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 33

As far as losing the deposit, the deposits are generally required to be paid through Paypal. eBay guarantees those transactions with their protection plan. If there turned out to be "no boat" or some other fraudulent activity, they would refund your money. A couple of things I would look for ... and the first is the seller's rating. Do they have a 100% positive (or close to it, everyone gets a negative feedback once in awhile if they do enough transactions). Don't just look at the rating, go read the responses, especially the responses for auctions in which they were the seller. Do people say the "item was as described," "delivered as promised," stuff like that. If they have a zero rating and you are uncomfortable then just don't do it.

I guess I have had exceptionally good luck with eBay over the years. I looked at my seller dashboard the other night and since I joined in 2002 I have sold $29K worth of stuff, and that includes one car, two boats, and one boat trailer. I have also bought 2 boats off of eBay, also with no problem. One of the boats was local, however one was a Katrina boat that I bought sight unseen and had shipped from Louisiana. I had zero problems.

Except for the lack of location (they did give a general location, but not a specific address and I wouldn't either in the ad itself, but I would if someone contacted me privately and requested a viewing...did you try to do that?) everything else about the auction, including the payment terms, seemed very standard to me. Perhaps the OP just doesn't really understand the process.
Old 24-04-2015, 18:06   #22

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Buy or Sell Used or New Sailboat in Nova Scotia | Boats for Sale | Kijiji Classifieds

The boat may be listed on Kijiji.ca.
Old 24-04-2015, 18:23   #23

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Not widely publicized, but unlike the rest of eBay, a winning bid on vehicles ( and they include boats) is not binding. Sellers want a deposit, but it is refundable and guaranteed by eBay. The sellers who are notorious for not giving location or allowing viewing are the charity sellers who likely have not seen the boat themselves and want to do a hands off transaction.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 18:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Not widely publicized, but unlike the rest of eBay, a winning bid on vehicles ( and they include boats) is not binding. Sellers want a deposit, but it is refundable and guaranteed by eBay. The sellers who are notorious for not giving location or allowing viewing are the charity sellers who likely have not seen the boat themselves and want to do a hands off transaction.
As long as they disclose that beforehand I don't see anything wrong with this tactic. I've seen enough boats on ebay where the seller did say it was a charity sale and there were restrictions on viewing, etc. Would never bid on one without seeing it first but for some people the low enough price may be worth the risk.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 18:46   #25

perhaps that is one of the last boats i had looked at? don't really recall.... i am still looking at boats on ebay and continue to see quick payment, quick deposit items that one could simply not even verify as existing.... MANY inquiries go unanswered....
i think ideally ebay can be used to move boats in an auction type manner when one simply wishes to be rid of them but i also notice that the minimum bids frequently are set at a level where zero bidding actually occurs.... yachtworld is a good place to list a boat for months while chasing what someone thinks/hopes they can get from their boat but like i say, i think ebay is best used as an auction site.....
i imagine you could put a boat on yachtworld and as part of the description say WHEN you intended to list it on ebay.... sort of advertising for the auction phase
there is a 73 Gulfstar 41 all nicely redone and for sale at 30k right at the moment.... it reads really well and looks great but when one does a bit of research as to how these boats were built in the early seventies as the company was first started it begins to feel like 30k might not be enough to get me to take responsibility for the boat :-)
people need to be REALLY careful about 28'+ sailboats on ebay and i hope that word gets spread very far and wide...
mcmccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 03:37   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's an EBay seller of a Morgan OI 36 asking for complete payment within 24 hours of auction close. Now you might think that's extreme, but it seems fair enough to me. I would say it is certainly not a scam. He gives his phone number, he encourages you to come see the boat, presumably you could even get a survey done if you wanted. He's up front about it needing a new engine.
He is taking the usual prolonged buyer/seller haggling and letting that happen electronically on EBay. Then once the deal is struck, payment should be made. The only thing you don't get is a sea trial, but maybe even that could be arranged.

Incredibly Spacious Global Cruiser by Famous Yacht Maker No Reserve aft Cabin | eBay

"I AM INCLUDING AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE SO THAT YOU CAN GET A TRULY ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF THE CONDITION OF THIS BOAT. I ALSO WELCOME PEOPLE TO COME AND INSPECT THE BOAT IN PERSON PRIOR TO BIDDING. I CAN MEET YOU ANY DAY YOU WANT TO COME DOWN PRIOR TO THE CLOSE OF THE AUCTION. I AM ALSO AVAILABLE BY PHONE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE OR TO ARRANGE BOAT TOURS. PLEASE CALL ME AT (970) 319-4361. THANKS, -WILLIAM

Payment is required In-Full Within 24 hours of the auction close. PLEASE ONLY BID WHAT YOU HAVE ON HAND TO PAY WITHIN 24 HOURS. IT IS NOT FAIR TO OTHER LEGITIMATE BIDDERS TO BID IF YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY READY TO MAKE A PURCHASE. THANKS!!

Please contact me by telephone as soon as you win the auction to discuss your plans to complete the transaction. We can accept cash in person, cashiers check or wire transfer. You will get the title in hand or over-nighted with tracking number the same day that payment is received in full. Slip fees are paid current until May 1st. My phone number again is (970) 319-4361 - William
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat