Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2014, 07:08   #1

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Easterly 36 sailing characteristics

First I know there are a few other posts asking for info on Easterly sailboats, of which not a lot seems to be available. I know the construction of these seems to be pretty decent, but how do they sail? I've found a PHRF of 153 for them, but does anyone have any first or second hand experience sailing on one of these? They have a odd hull shape with a hard chine along the mid sections of the hull.

I'm considering this as a potential purchase along with a few other models. It needs some work ie blister job on the bottom, quite a few small blisters.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you have to share.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:39   #2

Re: Easterly 36 sailing characteristics

... Kinda what I figured being such an oddball/ low numbers manufacturer...
Old 11-01-2016, 09:45   #3

Re: Easterly 36 sailing characteristics

For the benefit of anyone looking at buying one of these boats I will post this here. Well I can say after a season of ownership and sailing I can say that I'm very pleased with the sailing characteristics of this boat. With the hard chines in the mid section of the hull they have a lot of reserve buoyancy. This translates into sailing on a more even keel than normal. The more it heels the more buoyancy it has the stiffer it becomes. I've sailed in a variety of conditions from light air where it ghosts along quite nicely.

I've also "raced" it in 25-30knts with the full main and genoa out on a broad reach in 6-8ft waves while crossing Lake Michigan. We were making average speeds of 8.5knts and with a heeling angle of under 20 degrees. It turned out to be a fairly comfortable ride. The motion when it was taking the waves on the beam was that it would roll some but then tend to correct itself quickly.

I found that beating into weather the boat did not pound into the waves like I was thinking it might. It has enough of a rounded front section to keep that from happening. I found with my old worn out sails I could make about 42 degrees into the apparent wind which was better than I was used to sailing older designs.

The steering is very well balanced by the partial skeg rudder. During the aforementioned race in the 25-30knts I was steering with two fingers on the wheel. It has a very light and responsive helm.

Again if you're looking at one of the few of these boats to buy rest assured in their more than capable sailing qualities.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: